PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spring Turkey Hunting Daily Reports

blackbeard
04-23-2013, 01:02 AM
It's that time again, post your daily reports here, good luck and stay safe everybody.

04/22/13- I got to hunt opening morning only until 7:30 because of a meeting for work but I did hear one gobbler off the roost but he shut up for the rest of the time. From what I heard from others for some reason the turkeys weren't gobbling good this morning around here. Beautiful morning though, heading back out tomorrow.

Whitetail Freak
04-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Opening morn i had 7 jakes gobble the 100yrds it took em to get to my blind just as i was telling the girlfriend to dust one some idiot in blaze orange vest strolls thru the woods and bust the flock we had em at 6.20am he said he was picking mushrooms . The gf was ticked it would have been her 1st animal she harvested sence gettin her hunting lic last year . She had a blast we moved spots and i had a gobbler coming on a string and then he fliped directions and went bk way he came. Was gonna hunt today but hu ted worked 2nd shift lastnite till 11pm and hunted opening morn till noon . I admit i never heard the alarm go off at 3am we over slept and we decided to sit this morn out were gonna try to get bk out fri morn. The girlfriend had my moss.535 and i was toten the bow in hopes of a bow kill but i was gonna let her shoot 1st i know she wants a turk bad so iam willing to get hers then go after mine with the bowjust

Whitetail Freak
04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Took my bow in case a double came in and we could try n get em both never know was a great morn iam now addited to spring turk season

RackCityOutdoors
04-23-2013, 02:22 PM
4/24 Slow morning minimum gobbling today till bout 10 we're had one going nuts but never heard him after her closed in on the 50 yard mark..... More scouting thern maby to a new spot in the am !!

Whitetail Freak
04-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Iam heading bk out fri morn

hortontoter
04-24-2013, 09:45 PM
My dad and I hunted Monday and Tuesday. I saw three hens on Monday and my dad saw one. My dad can only sit for short periods of time so we always miss the late morning hunts. Tuesday we tried somthing different. We arrived at the woods at about 9:00 and hunted til noon. Never saw any birds. I have not heard a gobble in two days. Toss up tomorrow, may go hunt some woodchucks and hunt turkey on Friday.

blackbeard
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
04/25/13- Got my first turkey of the season today at 11:31 AM, shot him at 27 yards. 17 lb, 1.125" spurs, 9.5" beard. He and two others were together and outsmarted me at first but I got the last laugh! The story and photos are below.

Hunted a field edge thing this morning. Heard two different flocks of 4-5 gobblers each (some jakes mixed in). They all flew down to hens and stayed in the woods across a small river where I can't access so I stayed for awhile and called with no luck. Packed up and headed to some other places to listen for a gobble. Stopped at two different spots and didn't hear anything. Went home and was about ready to call it a day and get back to work when I decided to walk back on my property and see if I could get one to gobble. Turkeys don't really 'live' on my 35 acres but I do catch them back there from time to time. I actually heard a gobbler back there a few times before the season opened. Basically they don't roost back there but later in the morning they often come there to strut and feed.

So I walked back there, sat beside a big maple and called......nothing. I decided to sit in the shade and take a nap and listen for awhile......then seconds later "Gobble, Gobble, Gobble". The tom was about 250 yards or more away on an adjacent property but I think he was responding to me. I called again. "Gobble, Gobble, Gobble". Hmmm. I thought I might be in business. So I got up and moved closer toward him and sat down and called very sparingly. He gobbled again and was heading my way. "Nice". Now however since he was closer to me I heard that there were two gobblers together. They gobbled and strutted back and forth on a ridge in some thick pines for about 30 minutes. They were within 50 yards now but I figured they wouldn't come through the woods I was in because it was too thick. Next thing I know they gobbled and were behind me...."No".

They then strutted behind me at about 40 yards and into my field. Then in front of me in the pines came a jake running to try and get in on the action. First time I've ever saw that before. I let the three of them get out into the field far enough where I could sneak closer to the field edge. They seemed as though they were leaving but I called and they responded. I decided to setup where they entered my property from the pines because that would most likely be where they would exit. I chose wisely. A few more yelps and some soft purrs and here they came. I saw a red/white head, then another, checked the first one for a long beard (didn't want to shoot a jake), then when the first gobbler put his head down to walk behind a stump I aimed at where he was going to be and then a head popped up again...."BOOM". He was down for the count. It was a really fun hunt and good example of going to where you have heard gobblers later in the morning after their hens leave.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/2/2/3/04-25-13_turkey_2_thumb.jpg (http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=2561)

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/2/2/3/04-25-13_beard_thumb.jpg (http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=2562)

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/2/2/3/04-25-13_spurs_thumb.jpg (http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=2563)

Big_Holla
04-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Congratulations Kurtis! Great pics and turkey!!

Mike F
04-27-2013, 05:06 AM
Congrats BB, nice bird and a great story

mrbb
04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Well congrats on a fine Tom, Blackbeard
glad to see the kids in the picqs too, hope it makes them want to be hunters as they grow

blackbeard
04-28-2013, 05:33 AM
04/27/13- beautiful morning, took a friend who is learning to turkey hunt, made the long walk back onto a property I hunt and heard a single gobbler at dawn gobbling, got closer to him, set up in a small clearing in the woods, called, and he gobbled, but two other gobblers also gobbled on the other side of us, nice, we were between gobbling birds, no more than 10 minutes later the birds on the right were hot and responding and closing in, the single bird shut up after fly down, then my friend said here they come, I looked to my right and there came a jake and hen almost running to the decoys, the big gobblers were hangigng back and the jake was trying to beat them to the punch, he and the hen went behind some brush and my friend lost sight of them and before he knew it they were standing at the decoys, I told my friend to shoot the jake, my friend said where are they at because he wasn't facing the decoys, I said to your left, he tried to swing and shoot the jake but missed cleanly, they ran away. We stayed all morning and heard one more gobble and that was it, no more action. My friend was pretty disappointed but I told him that's how it goes sometimes, live and learn. His respect for these crazy birds grew some yesterday morning, but I can tell he's already "hooked"!

blackbeard
04-28-2013, 05:38 AM
04/28/13- up to hunt this morning but its storming so I'm taking the morning off, I could use a few more hours sleep anyway, turkey season will wear you out!

Seeker Bp
04-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Excellent job Curtis. That is an awesome bird, and great pics. Love reading your stories. Keep up the great work. Hope to add to the turkey hunting success.

hortontoter
04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Congrats on the gobbler BB. Good read as always.

I haven't hunted since last Tuesday. Torn between hunting turkeys and groundhogs. Groundhogs been winning, hunted them three days last week. Going after a gobbler this week though.

blackbeard
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
04/30/13- Heard one gobbling on the roost on a neighboring property, got as close as possible on the fence line and called, he flew down and met up with some hens and never came our way, back to work early today.

longdraw
04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
On vacation this week,haven't heard a gobble in 2days tough hunting,but managed to shoot one of the tight lipped suckers after 2 1/2hrs. of working him setting 150yds. from me,,,he gave in and gave me a 50yd. shot and he is now getting cut up!!!!!!!

Big_Holla
04-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Congratulations Longdraw!! Sounds like they were rough on ya!!

Z7Mcclain92
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM

La Due Resevior Public Land Gobbler,19 lbs,5" beard,1" spurs. 25 yard shot. I shot him opening morning he was with 2 other gobblers and had 3 hens with them.

ghunter
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Finally made it out this morning. Made it out and set up by 5:45 just as a few were gobbling. Called for a little bit but just could make him come in. I'm thinking he had a pretty little hen with him. I did have 3 does feed about 15 yards in front of me for about 10 minutes. It sure felt good to be out in the woods again.

blackbeard
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Congrats Mike and Z7. So where's the picture Mike, let's see that big ole tom.

Z7Mcclain92
05-02-2013, 03:39 AM
Thanks blackbeard. Up and ready to go at it again this morning for another Public Land Gobbler 3:39 a.m

Big_Holla
05-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks blackbeard. Up and ready to go at it again this morning for another Public Land Gobbler 3:39 a.m

Go get 'em Z7Mcclain92!!

hortontoter
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Congrats LD.

Hunted a new spot this morning. No action, but sure was a pleasant morning.

Z7Mcclain92
05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
No sign of Turkey at 2 different spots this morning. Went to my best spot on public land this morning no gobbles and no sign of turkey. Went to another public land spot where I saw 3 gobblers and 2 hens, one week before season. Got there around 9am and sat around and slowly moved around. (Trying to act like a late morning traveling hen) till about 11:30am then I called it quits and started walking back to my Jeep. I noticed a turkey back feather on a main access trail and looking a little closer I spotted a few more feathers and then I saw a blotch of almost dried blackened blood about in a 5 inch circle. Then I instantly knew someone took a turkey off this small peice of Public land yesterday. Congrats to who shot the gobbler, but darn you beat me to them LOL.

blackbeard
05-03-2013, 12:15 AM
05/02/13- heard the same bird that I heard two days ago roosted near the same spot on a neighboring property and made the 1.25 mile walk to get on the other side of him and near the location he went last time. Got sat down before he flew down and made a few yelps. He responded but not real aggressively. He flew down and gobbled a few times on the ground then he shut up. A little while later he gobbled again and was heading my way. I told my first year hunting buddy to get ready. A few minutes later he gobbled again and was coming in behind us. Not knowing if he could see us or not we stayed still for what seemed like an eternity and he didn't gobble. Then he gobbled and he was 15 yards behind us! My buddy about lost it! I could hear him spitting and drumming but there was nothing we could do at that point. We sat tight and he hung around for a few minutes but didn't putt from being spooked and finally went over the hill and left. If I would have put a decoy out he would have been a dead bird but I was afraid he would spot us from his roost if I tried setting up a decoy. We found where he come through the brush and prepared an ambush spot for Saturday morning. We'll be within 50 yards of where he roosts and will have to get there early but hopefully we will have him figured out. To be continued.....this is in my opinion the best thing about turkey season. Finding a smart bird and hunting him until either you kill him or the season ends! Out Friday morning to hunt some other birds on a different property before Part 3: Saturday Showdown.

hortontoter
05-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Finally heard some gobbling and saw a hen, a jake and two longbeards. You've heard of urban deer, well these are urban turkeys. I'm hunting in my dads backyard. To the east his yard abuts a 33 acre piece of ground that was a farm when I grew up there as a kid. The land is posted and we can't get permission from the grandson that inherited it. To the south about 250 yards is a housing development and to the north there is a small wooded swamp. Just north of the swamp is a public golf course. So getting these birds is going to be tough. But, hey I like a challenge. My blind consists of an old equipment shed, my dad is hunting out of an old delapidated travel trailer on his neighbors 2 acre tract. Both "blinds" been there for years so the turkleys pay them no attention. Only time will tell what happens.

longdraw
05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Finally heard some gobbling and saw a hen, a jake and two longbeards. You've heard of urban deer, well these are urban turkeys. I'm hunting in my dads backyard. To the east his yard abuts a 33 acre piece of ground that was a farm when I grew up there as a kid. The land is posted and we can't get permission from the grandson that inherited it. To the south about 250 yards is a housing development and to the north there is a small wooded swamp. Just north of the swamp is a public golf course. So getting these birds is going to be tough. But, hey I like a challenge. My blind consists of an old equipment shed, my dad is hunting out of an old delapidated travel trailer on his neighbors 2 acre tract. Both "blinds" been there for years so the turkleys pay them no attention. Only time will tell what happens.

Thats awsome stuff,urban birds

blackbeard
05-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Slept in ths am, heading out tomorrow morning with my buddy for attempt #3 at a particular weary long beard.

Z7Mcclain92
05-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Just arrived on a carroll county property gonna see what these gobblers are up to for the first time this season here

ghunter
05-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Good luck Z7. I will probably be able to head out again this coming Wednesday.

Z7Mcclain92
05-04-2013, 11:21 PM
TAGGED OUT!!I set up perfectly this morning. At 10 till 6 I started hearing gobbles but they were about 200 yards away on another ridge top across from me. After talking turkey with them for about 25 minutes, I saw turkeys flying out of their roost 75 yards down hill from me and landed about 40 yards away. There was 7 hens and 1 Jake, then sarted walking up the hill and got 10 yards away and they walked right begind me. I was able to turn 180 degrees without them spotting me, they walked into the feild I was sitting the edge of and when they got about 20- 25 yards away I let the Jake have it. 20 lbs, 4.5" beard,3/8" spurs.

ghunter
05-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Congrats!! Nice size jake.

Big_Holla
05-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Great job Z7M92!! That's about what my first ever bird looked like and weighed. Said back then if I shoot jakes that size I'd shoot them every season!!

hortontoter
05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Congrats on the jake. Hefty one for sure.

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
https://vimeo.com/65021110

my bud got this one opening morning. come join us on FBook. www.facebook.com/cityboyzoutdoors

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-05-2013, 09:58 PM
https://vimeo.com/65480033

This is what me and my best buddies have been up too, I scalped one and come close a few other times with brush in the way! Come join us on facebook guys! www.facebook.com/cityboyzoutdoors

longdraw
05-05-2013, 10:07 PM
This is a hunting report thread not video hunt thread!!!!! Start its own thread,,I am tired of seeing these video's!!!!!!!!!!

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-06-2013, 09:45 AM
This is a hunting report thread not video hunt thread!!!!! Start its own thread,,I am tired of seeing these video's!!!!!!!!!!

Those videos are hunting reports. If you don't like them then don't watch them, 99% of people on here love them. Sorry I would rather show you what we see instead of typing it.

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Worked a bird at sunrise for about 30 minutes, stayed in the woods gobbling his head off never came in, ive got these birds patterned well but they skurt me everytime.

Z7Mcclain92
05-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Worked a bird at sunrise for about 30 minutes, stayed in the woods gobbling his head off never came in, ive got these birds patterned well but they skurt me everytime.

Sounds like they have you patterned also, just because they are gobbling doesnt mean they are gonna come to you. Id try to approach them from a completely different way, definetly use a different call everytime, Dont use the same mouth call,box call, slate call, etc.Set up at least 100 yards from where you just were and get out there EARLY Im in the woods,sitting and ready to shoot at least 30 minutes before the first sign of light.

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like they have you patterned also, just because they are gobbling doesnt mean they are gonna come to you. Id try to approach them from a completely different way, definetly use a different call everytime, Dont use the same mouth call,box call, slate call, etc.Set up at least 100 yards from where you just were and get out there EARLY Im in the woods,sitting and ready to shoot at least 30 minutes before the first sign of light.

Ive moved several different times they still skurt me!! and yes i do use a different call. I gotta bring out the dusty ones now!!

Z7Mcclain92
05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Ive moved several different times they still skurt me!! and yes i do use a different call. I gotta bring out the dusty ones now!!

Ok just trying to give you some tips. Try getting a buddy to come with you have him or her do all the calling and setup however far away you need too. Then when they skirt your buddy hopefully you will be in range and the gobblers wont even know your there.

Beef
05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I think the CBO videos were great. Looks like a lot of time was put into them they worked hard. Keep up the good work!

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the CBO videos were great. Looks like a lot of time was put into them they worked hard. Keep up the good work!

God Beef, you are too kind ;)

ghunter
05-07-2013, 12:29 AM

Whats with the pointless attack? There wasn't any reason to be that harsh. This is one reason a lot of people stop coming to this site. I personally do not care if its a story or a video. I like to see or read any report. At least with a video any newcomers can SEE how to call that tom in.

Big_Holla
05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Video's showing forum members hunts in their hunting reports have been and are always encouraged here at BowhuntingOhio. CityBoyzOutdoors is also a partner with BowhuntingOhio and will continue to be allowed to make threads, posts, etc. showing their progress through the season, as well as advertising their DVD's in the Deer Hunting & Turkey Hunting sections.

Any other comments and concerns can be directed to myself or the Administration of the website.

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Video's showing forum members hunts in their hunting reports have been and are always encouraged here at BowhuntingOhio. CityBoyzOutdoors is also a partner with BowhuntingOhio and will continue to be allowed to make threads, posts, etc. showing their progress through the season, as well as advertising their DVD's in the Deer Hunting & Turkey Hunting sections.

Any other comments and concerns can be directed to myself or the Administration of the website.

Thanks for all the support guys! means a lot!! Just trying something new with the video reports, people are starting to like it. Hope we can put some more kills on there soon!!

hortontoter
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Well guys the urban birds gave us the slip this morning. Skirted just out of range of both my dad and I. We set about 120 yards apart and two big toms slipped right down the center of us. The one bird is a monster. Hopefully I'll get a photo of him before the season ends. My dad made a suggestion that I make a move for tomorrow. We picked the spot and I will be in it in the morning. Here are a few photos from my hide in the equipment shed this morning. The birds came out of the tall field and went right along the tree line in my photo that says looking to the right. I'm going to be in a small patch of woods looking directly in line with this line of trees in the morning. If they come this way in the morning I hope the little .410 can anchor that monster gobbler. I'll let him get really close before dropping the hammer.
10150 10151 10152

Big_Holla
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Great update Hortototer!! Keeping the fingers crossed for ya!!

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Well guys the urban birds gave us the slip this morning. Skirted just out of range of both my dad and I. We set about 120 yards apart and two big toms slipped right down the center of us. The one bird is a monster. Hopefully I'll get a photo of him before the season ends. My dad made a suggestion that I make a move for tomorrow. We picked the spot and I will be in it in the morning. Here are a few photos from my hide in the equipment shed this morning. The birds came out of the tall field and went right along the tree line in my photo that says looking to the right. I'm going to be in a small patch of woods looking directly in line with this line of trees in the morning. If they come this way in the morning I hope the little .410 can anchor that monster gobbler. I'll let him get really close before dropping the hammer.
10150 10151 10152

I'm hunting some urban turkeys as well. I think they are smarter than the average farm turkey and love to hide in the woods and never come out... lol

hortontoter
05-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I think I'm hunting the same county as you fellas are. I'm hunting in Portage county not to far from Randolph.

And, by all means keep the videos coming. I find them to be quite enjoyable.

blackbeard
05-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Three hunts since my last post, haven't hunted in rain and that has occurred several times in the last week so that has really
Limited my hunting. Tried to kill the gobbler I talked about two more times and he hasn't made a peep since we last called him in. Either someone killed him or we spooked him and didn't know it. Hunted one other place and had no luck. Last three hunts have heard one gobble and that was from a henned up gobbler just giving us a token courtesy gobble. Hunting around here pretty crappy right now. One more week to go so see what happens.

CityBoyzOutdoors
05-14-2013, 03:38 PM
They were going nuts this morning... couldnt bring any in.

hortontoter
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I've been out a few times since my last post. These urban turkeys are tough. I left the equipment shed and tried a new spot the last couple times out. The new spot has been interesting. Seen gobblers every time I hunted it, but just not the right opportunity yet. Had a hen sneak up the edge this morning to within 8 foot of me. I froze hoping she would walk by and maybe have a gobbler following. No such luck, somehow she picked me out, she sounded like a car on seven cylinders, PUTT PUTT PUTT. Can't win 'em all. I'll be back again before the season ends.

hortontoter
05-17-2013, 03:03 PM
My spring turkey season came to a close today. All in all a pretty disappointing season. Neither, myself or my dad had a gobbler in range this spring. I'll be the first to admit that there were a few wrenches thrown in our plans, but it is what it is. I had a good time spending a good number of mornings with my dad trying to out guess the toms.

Hunting in the same backyard that I grew up in was quite a treat actually. While I waited for a tom to walk by where I sat the last few mornings my mind did a lot of backtracking. I was sitting near a spot that was coined Bud's Birdland some 50 years ago. Bud is my older brother, so I'm sure this area was named after him. The name seemed to fit I had songbirds in all the trees and undergrowth around me most of the time. One pesky Catbird and I got to be good pals. At least he didn't rant and rave when he saw me after the first couple mornings I invaded his territory. A small chicken coop now stands wher I killed my first Ring-Necked Pheasant. I killed that bird on my 16th birthday. The first day my dad allowed me to carry a shotgun hunting. The gun was a single shot Iver Johnson .410. How ironic that today I was hunting turkey with another single shot .410 within 100 yards of where I killed my first cockbird. The area to my right used to be our vegtable garden, I remember by brothers and I having many rotton tomato wars there. Directly behind me about 10 yards was an old dump that my dads neighbor, Harold, owned. I remember being back there one day shooting Gerber baby food jars with my Red Ryder. I was having a good time until Harold caught me. I remember picking up glass for hours as he stood there giving me all kinds of grief. What I got was well deserved and I'm sure I learned from it.

I remember as a kid the area around my parents house was teeming with pheasants, quail and rabbits. It seemed odd to be there hunting Wild Turkey and seeing a few deer on every mornings sit. Turkeys were never seen back in the 1960's and to see a deer was a major event. Just shows how some things change over time. But, on the other hand things kinda stay the same. I remember sitting on the bank behind my parents home waiting for my dads 1950 Kaiser to come up the dirt road in September to go squirrel hunting with him. The last couple weeks my dad has sat on that same bank, but on his four wheeler, waiting for my 2012 Chevy Colorado to come up the now paved road. One thing hasn't changed, we still hunt together as much as possible. My dad is 85 and I'm 61 and were getting in as many hunts as possible while we have the time.

Here are a couple photos of where I spent the last few mornings. Both photos shows the equipment shed that I deserted for this spot.

Mike F
05-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Dick,Great right up on the 2013 turkey hunt. Sorry nothing panned out, maybe next year.

blackbeard
05-31-2013, 11:07 PM
Hit it fairly hard the last week of the season, climbed a high ridge Saturday morning and heard one single hen yelp two times, this being the same place on opening morning where I heard a dozen toms in two different groups. Sunday morning heard two toms gobble good on roost, good when they hit the ground, but by the time we got close to them they lingered just cross the property line and someone shot one or both of them. That was it, the end of what I would say was a below average turkey season. One gobbler for me, none for my brother (a real rarity), and none for my buddy in his first turkey season, but he had fun and said he'd definitely be hunting next year! Is it bow season yet?!!!!

mrbb
05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
well I didn't get out even once the whole season here, bad weather and lack of motivation on my part
BUT today while doing things in the yard, all day long and I mean all day, I had 3 or 4 different gobblers gobbling there haeds off in all directions of me, was just plain crazy! must have heard about 1,000 gobbles today from 7 am till just about dark!
I guess I am not that big a turkey hunter, but wow, what a day here for gobbles!

Big_Holla
06-01-2013, 07:58 AM
Hate to hear of the slow season for your group Blackbeard! My dad couldn't even get a gobbler to answer, yet show up. Up here in Michigan our late season just closed the last day of May and my buddy Ed was chasing them as long as he could. Had a couple encounters with some long beards but couldn't get them in the open for a shot with the bow.