PDA

View Full Version : Fun With A New Gun

hortontoter
04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
After nearly a two week search I finally found a Savage 93R17F in camo to replace my four year old bull barreled Savage 93R17FV that I sold a couple weeks ago. I bought this new rifle at The Sportsmans Den in Shelby on Saturday afternoon. Got up Sunday morning and mounted the Mueller APV on her and did the old look through the barrel and scope bore sighting. Took her out for her first hunt yesterday. I semi sighted her in by shooting at a leaf I placed against a dirt mound at about 30 yards. First shot was about 2 1/2 inches to the right, but the height was perfect. Made a 15 click adjustment and the second shot was about 3/4 inch to the right. Made a 4 click adjustment and the next shot was where I needed to be for now. Got a crack at this one at about 65 yards and my new rifle lost her virginity. I'll do a little fine tuning at the 100 yard mark when I get the chance. Glad I replaced my bull barreled gun with this one. Definately much lighter to tote around when hunting.

Big_Holla
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Heck yeah Hortontoter, that's a great looking rifle!! Deadly combination right there!!

Mike F
04-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Nice shooting...I need to pick up another 17. It was one of the guns stolen a year ago.

mrbb
04-16-2013, 07:19 PM
well congrats on the new addition and the poping the cherry with it too!
a heavy bbl is nice for bench work, but they get old real fast in the field
so I agree, a lighter gun is nicer to hunt with thats for sure, and zero recoil to worry about with a .17 too!

and on a different note I guess, not a new gun, but just added some new parts to it, been getting the itch to do more shooting lately, seems like a long winter this yr for me

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/coltdeltamagwell003_zpsfbba98e0.jpg (http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/mrbb1/media/coltdeltamagwell003_zpsfbba98e0.jpg.html)

hortontoter
04-16-2013, 07:31 PM
When I bought my bull barreled gun 4 years ago it didn't take long to realize I had made a mistake. After using it and learning more about the 17HMR for HUNTING I knew that a pencil barreled gun would work just fine. I see no reason for a heavy barreled rifle to shoot game out to 150 yards. Although I did notice yesterday that the lighter gun is not quite as steady when shooting off my tripod. I feel for groundhog sized game the bullets lose the explosiveness they are designed to have after about 125 yards. The loss of velocity allows the bullet to go through an animal without expansion. The V-Max and TNT bullets at that distance act very much like a solid pointed bullet would. This is just my two cents after killing a good number of groundhogs with this caliber. I have only used 17 grain bullets so I can't speak for the 20 grainers.

mrbb
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
heavy BBl's are nice again for bench work, the added weight does help in field shooting , but there real gain is staying cool longer for more shots fired, before effecting acuracy
I know this might sound funny, but I know a few gusy that have heavy bbl 17's and then cut the bbl's down to just 18 inches to save a little weight and still get the down pressure of the heavy bbl
then again I know guys that cut down standard BBL's too to get the guns smaller
they really didn't loose much FPS on a chrono either
they did more for the kids to handle better and get lighter too, and then most end up using the smaller guns more themselves, due to just easier to carry LOL
my go to hunting rifle now is the lightest one I own
so guess you get older and smarter maybe, and don't need them big and heavy things like you did as a younger dumber man LOl

hortontoter
04-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Nice lookin hadgun. Which parts have you added?

mrbb
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
changed out factory grip safety and thumb safety, new grips, slide stop, over sized firing pin stop, newTI firing pin, and spring, magazine speed well/main spring hoising, and a new fitted barrel bushing
next is sights and a trigger job, but sights are so far on back order who knows when I will get em, company says MAYBE 3+ months!
used mostly Ed brown and EGW parts
and then I got a bunch of new mags with extenders to work in the new well better
I love these 10 mm's, this is now my third one I own, another colt and a glock

ghunter
04-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Congrats Dick. I really love the .17s. Have you seen the new winchester round coming out? Stan, that is a sick looking Delta Elite its on my list. I was looking at a Glock 29SF in 10MM but I just cant do it. I love my 1911 way to much.

I picked this beauty up this past Feb and have carried it almost everyday. 10127

hortontoter
04-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Yes, the .17WSM will be a pretty nice round. When I first got wind of the new round I was sure I would get a rifle in that caliber. I still may do that. But, the HMR does a pretty good job at the ranges I normally shoot. I already have to make to many choices when heading out for groundhogs, raccoons or fox. Do I take the Rossi .22, the Savage .22 Mag or the Savage HMR. Another .17 will just make the choice more difficult.

mrbb
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Congrats Dick. I really love the .17s. Have you seen the new winchester round coming out? Stan, that is a sick looking Delta Elite its on my list. I was looking at a Glock 29SF in 10MM but I just cant do it. I love my 1911 way to much.

I picked this beauty up this past Feb and have carried it almost everyday. 10127
I have had a 10 mm since the 80's, and love my delta's, but I also love the glocks too, the hi cap and they take such abuse, made them great side arms/back up when in Alaska over the yrs, not as pretty as a delta, but they work , hate to say it more reliable I think, dirt water weak handed, they seem to just work a little better,lLol
But will always have my colts!

Mike F
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
I was just reading about the new 17 WSM. Over 3000fps. Sounds like it could reach out a bit further than the HMR

rednecklb69
04-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I have a g20 with a lone wolf 6 inch barrel and reload all my 10mm hot.

hortontoter
04-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah Mike, pretty impressive for a rimfire. My brain keeps telling me I don't need one. But, I've owned lots of things I didn't or don't need. If they aren't overly pricey I'm sure I'll take a look at one eventually.