PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Public Lands again..This time with my belly boat

PlayTheWindMike
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
As many of you know, I do not park at the road and just walk a couple hundred yards for scouting. This last week I was out scouting and I did the topo on a nice public area and noticed a string of ponds. We decided to take the fishing pole and belly boat to check out the deeper ponds. You know, there are I believe approx 400 ponds on this public land. Well we went past the first four ponds deep off the road (approx 2000 yards) and saw many, many signs of deer along the way. This pond along with the next couple had zero signs of human. We were in touch with the wild back in this deep. This was not an easy hike. Took us quite some time. I want to share a pic and extend and apology in advance. I did get a pic of a couple of the 25 bass we caught but the picture I would most want to share with you guys I did not get to take. We were fishing, birds chirping, no other noises except our poles casting and lures splashing. These ponds are not fishable from the bank. I was reeling in and out of no where a buck walked down to the other end of the pond, took a drink for approx 20 seconds and mozied on his way. 10 point 170 at least. Not overly tall rack, the mass was insane. I was slowly reaching for my phone for the masterful pic it would have been and did not get it out quick enough. So there is just one story for the week. I will be flying out in the morning for a three day Texas hog trip so everyone be careful and safe as always. Be back next week. Remember you public land hunters....get so far back that you will think in your mind that you are going to have to take the deer out in sections.....:)

PlayTheWindMike
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
BTW I have really been hitting the public lands so if anyone has a question about a certain area pm me and I will help if possible

Big_Holla
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Excellent recap! A giant still carrying the middle of April, boy that's incredible!! Would have really been nice to see that picture!! Guess we know where you'll be hunting this fall!

mrbb
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
well that;s a cool deal
and this is sure late for them to be holding, but wouldn't be the first time I heard of them this late having still

and sounds like you found a great place to enjoy the outdoors, Nice bass too!

hortontoter
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
A couple of nice bass. I thought when I started to read the post that you missed a photo opportunity of Bigfoot. Sounds like you found a good pond.

Good luck with the Texas hogs.

ghunter
04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Good luck in Texas. I bet you will be heading back to that pond. Those are some big bass. I made a short trip up to berlin lake last week and it was so flooded and muddy nothing was biting. Just a few more weeks and everything will come alive.