PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Hunt Ever?

ManOfTheFall
04-12-2013, 12:53 AM
What is the least amount of time you ever spent in a stand and killed a deer. Last season I had a 10 minute hunt which was pretty fast. However, about 10 years ago I climed into my stand one day and had a deer down in 3 minutes. Can anyone beat that?

mrbb
04-12-2013, 01:52 AM
well don't know exact time, but yrs back I parked my truk, walked about 50 yrds and had a deer in my sights, at the hit it ran towards my truck, and die about 25 yrds from it on the roadside.
so it was shot, tagged/gutted and in the truck in about 20 minutes
But I think I can tel of one that beat this
I took a friend and his girlfriend out hunting once, we drove her to a ladderstand, and gave her a radio, told her to call us if she got anything, we were still driving across the field when she was on the radio saying she got one, we thought she was kidding, turned around , don't think we were more than 200 yrds away at the time!
and she had one lying less than 25 yrds from her when we got there!
another time when you could drive the truck right to it too, no dragging at all!
never forget that one, it was her first deer to, she was busting our ass about how easy hunting is and why we cannot kill one with all the hrs we spend each yr trying!
she went the next 2 or 3 yrs killing a bigger buck than we did too!
talk about getting busted on !, but that all came to an end after we stopped setting her up and made her start to pick and find her own stand sites
then she said hunting wasn't that easy as the first few yrs! LOL
But to be honest I am glad it doesn't happen that fast all the time, don't think it would be any challange to it if so, but ITS sure nice to have happen once in a awhile , I'll say that for sure!, all the better if it happens before it gets super cold!

ManOfTheFall
04-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Yeah, we all know it's rarely ever that simple. But, every once in awhile those quick hunts are nice to have happen.

hortontoter
04-12-2013, 07:43 AM
I've never had any short hunts. Seems like I must love to sit on stand and not do any shooting. It took a couple minutes to figure this out, but I haven't shot an arrow at a deer in the last 467 days. If I hadn't shot the doe with my .410 in gun season it would have been that long since I had killed a deer. The last deer I took with my crossbow was opening day of gun season 2011. I figure if I had taken up knitting while on the stand I could have made over $100,000.00 while deer hunting.

ghunter
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't think I have a hunt under an hour. I didn't even get a deer last year and I only seen one. But they know I had two does 10 yards from my house last night just eating for a hour.

CityBoyzOutdoors
04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Shot my biggest buck in 25 minutes, doe that he was locked down with got spooked across the field, i grunted and the nice buck came to the base of the tree. ran 40 yards and dead. lol

Big_Holla
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Hard to say for me. My first antlered buck comes to mind. My dad and I were scouting some state land down the road, more of a stroll through the woods to see what kind of sign we could come across. It was getting later in the evening when we ran across a couple rubs and scrapes, being the first of October this was excellent sign. So I sat down against a tree with no blind and maybe a half hour goes by and here come the buck, made the shot at about 15 yards.

00buck
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
this past year me and a friend went gun hunting not my favorite thing to do but went anyways walked to where we hunt climbed up ladder stand started to pull gun up and noticed 2 does well he hunts about 50 yards or so from me and i could see his orange i went ahead and shot gun still on the rope and dropped her at 60 yards he shot the other doe within a minute so i guess that was the shortest hunt i have had he didnt even have time to connect saftey harness to tree

buckbuster217
04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I would have to say mine was around 35 minutes, got into a stand for an afternoon hunt and noticed 2 does about 100 yards away slowing feeding towards my stand while I was pulling up my bow, got the bow up in the tree, nocked an arrow and waited, about 30 minutes later they was about 25 yards out, one turned broadside, put her head down and received a rude awakening

Newbowhunter32
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I have never had a hunt under a couple hours, but this past year my brother did drop his first buck the first minute of legal shooting light on the first day of gun season. He never was one to let the grass grow under his feet...

JMax510
04-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Last October I drove my rv from PA to Kansas in 26hrs. I slept at most 4 hours at a rest stop. I arrived at the farm at about 5 in the afternoon that I had permission to hunt thru a friend of a friend. It was about 70 degrees and 20-30 mph winds. I was semi delirious from the long drive but was so excited to hunt that I decided to get my stuff ready and head out. I had no idea what to expect so I decided to set up an observation stand in a field along a woods and the wind was blowing directly from the woods out in to the field so I had a perfect wind. As I was climbing the tree with my climbing sticks and hangon stand 2 mangy wild dogs came running up to me. I was yelling at them from 15 feet up and they could care less. After they left I finally got set up and ready to hunt but the tree was rocking back and forth so bad there is no way I could have shot my bow. By this time it was 6 pm and about 1 hour of light left. I doubted I would even see a deer but 5 min before dark the wind started to lay down and this 140 class 10 point pops out at 22yards. I couldn't believe my luck as The deer piled up 40 yards from me. Basically I drove 44hrs to hunt 1 hour but I'd take that every time for a buck like this one!10120

PlayTheWindMike
04-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I once a few years back was half way up the tree screwing pegs in and a few does come through right under my stand. as soon as I got the stand in the tree I was standing on one peg the other on the stand reaching for my bow, I did not even get in the stand fully and downed a doe. BUT this place had never been hunted in my life and I guess some would call it a sanctuary.

Z7Mcclain92
05-02-2013, 09:08 PM
My fastest hunt is about 15-20 minutes back in 2009 I was hunting some carroll hunting private land and got about 15 yards from the base of my tree, and I heard something running in the woods about 100 yards away then I saw 2 German Shepards chasing a Big doe right to me. So I hurried up and dropped to me knees and waited she ended up running about 12 yards dead in front of me. Happened so fast I didnt even have my release on it was still in my fannypack so I had to use my fingers. But I shot her right in the left shoulder and hit one lung, she ran about 150 yards and dropped.It was a running shot but I was confident I could pull it off at that close.

blackbeard
05-03-2013, 12:29 AM
I certainly can't outdo 3 minutes! Wow. My fastest would be within half an hour, did that a couple times, both evening and morning.

blackbeard
05-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Last October I drove my rv from PA to Kansas in 26hrs. I slept at most 4 hours at a rest stop. I arrived at the farm at about 5 in the afternoon that I had permission to hunt thru a friend of a friend. It was about 70 degrees and 20-30 mph winds. I was semi delirious from the long drive but was so excited to hunt that I decided to get my stuff ready and head out. I had no idea what to expect so I decided to set up an observation stand in a field along a woods and the wind was blowing directly from the woods out in to the field so I had a perfect wind. As I was climbing the tree with my climbing sticks and hangon stand 2 mangy wild dogs came running up to me. I was yelling at them from 15 feet up and they could care less. After they left I finally got set up and ready to hunt but the tree was rocking back and forth so bad there is no way I could have shot my bow. By this time it was 6 pm and about 1 hour of light left. I doubted I would even see a deer but 5 min before dark the wind started to lay down and this 140 class 10 point pops out at 22yards. I couldn't believe my luck as The deer piled up 40 yards from me. Basically I drove 44hrs to hunt 1 hour but I'd take that every time for a buck like this one!10120

That's a cool story, 44 hrs for 1 hour but I'd take it any day!

NChunternOHIO
05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Last year here in NC, I worked till 5 and seen several deer chasing all day while working. I got home at 5:15 text my wife said I was going to sit out back, muzzleload was in, Oct 26, Sat down at 5:35 shot a 5 pointer at 5:45. Wife was pissed she had hunted that stand 3 days in a row and had not seen a deer. I was back at the house with deer hung on skinning rack at 6:00.