PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland bound!

buckbuster217
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
We just got our confirmation back for our black bear hunt, we will be going May 25th thru the 31st 2014. Our outfitter is Ocean side country lodge, they have a very high success rate on bears. Now the big question is Bow or rifle? the outfitter said we can use either, we just need to let him know in advance so he can get things set up ahead of time.

Mike F
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Must be nice to have your money...lol Good luck, and have a great time.

Seeker Bp
04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Good luck Buckbuster.. That would be a thrill to take a bear with a bow. Or even a gun for that matter. Take plenty of pics!

buckbuster217
04-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks Mike and Seeker, I have a buddy who done very well on these oil and gas leases, we work together and have always joked around if either of us hit the lottery or something that we would take the other one on a bear hunt, well when he got his check he set this up. I told him that I thought we was just joking and he said that was our agreement and was sure I would do the same thing if the shoe was on my foot. So we are going to Newfoundland! We can trout fish in the morning, one morning there is a boat ride to see glaciers and whales and a shore side lunch with a clam and lobster boil. The owner stays at the lodge and is one of the guides and his wife is the cook, really looking forward to this trip and I will definately be taking plenty of pics Seeker. There is several 500 plus pound bears taken each year with the outfitter record being 689 pounds

ghunter
04-11-2013, 09:18 PM
That will be a great trip. Good luck. I would see if you can take both.

Big_Holla
04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Incredible trip and what a great friendship you guys have to do that!! I would ask the outfitter about things and their set-ups for bowhunting before you decide. Nothing like being archery close to bear!!

hortontoter
04-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Take the bow, but don't be this guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQSZ4c20KE

ghunter
04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Great video. I'd would need new pants after that one.

buckbuster217
04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Take the bow, but don't be this guy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQSZ4c20KE

Holy cow HT!!!! That would definately get the old heart going, both of the guys really stayed calm for the whole thing, don't know if I could of stayed that calm, I sent the outfitter a message and asked if I could hunt with my bow the first part of the week and if no bear then switch over to the .308

buckstalker17
04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Wow that happened once except mine was a skunk wow. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrbb
04-12-2013, 03:10 PM
well best advice I can tell you is make sure the outfitter can have you a therma cell there waiting for you, I say waiting for you, as many airlines don't want you flying with the fuel cartridges
and a bunch of the packs for them
Black flies can be nasty nasty, and drive you out of your mind
other wise have fun, and take lots of pic's
we like Pic's here!

buckbuster217
04-12-2013, 06:04 PM
We are gonna ship some of our gear to the outfitter before we leave and the thermacell wont be forgotten!!! lol, we will be taking plenty of pics Stan, thanks for the advice though, I never thought about the fuel cells on the thermacell not being allowed on aircraft.

mrbb
04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
hey no problem, reason I mention, is many airline don't really say so where to the point you know it, and if they happen to find them , it can be a HUGE fine
I had a buddy, that some how a single rifle round got in his luggage and they found it along with a lighter
, he ended up with like a 10 grand fine
little things like that can kill your budget fast
and yrs back they were never even an issue
but this day and age they can get crazy with what and what not's in luggage
and I agree its a ton easier if you can ship most things up rather than carry through an airport, that's for sure
its always best if you can have a outfitter get some things andf have them at camp for you, like a therma cell and such
and heck, if they have a bunch of guides, they make a simple tip to give them when you leave too, as many don't have them
cash always works best, but there a nice simple extra to a guide
some good bug spray too that they recommend too is a good idea, as bears in there area will be mroe used to smells they use, rather than some new what ever you bring
and that same deal on bug spray in an aerisal cans, many planes ban them too!
again, hope its a great trip
do you know if they still have snow??
lots of places up north are still burried under snow right now
same with lakes being frozen

good luck

Big_Holla
04-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Excellent video!! Even though I didn't have one up in the tree with me I was lucky enough to see a lot of that stuff during my bear hunt in Saskatchewan several years ago. Nothing like that experience and the memories are priceless!!