PDA

View Full Version : Stands down?

blackbeard
04-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Everybody got their stands down? Got my last two down this week. I need to replace cables in several old ones.

Big_Holla
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Nope, I sure wish I had them down by now though. Would really like to go over them and re-paint all the parts as well as take care of any squeaks. The ladder stands we will likely leave up again this year as we loosen the straps at the end of season. Just have to make sure they're solid when we start checking them late summer.

Have you found a place to get replacement cables?? I tried looking a few years back and it seems I wasn't able to.

buckbuster217
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks to a good hunting buddy and friend I didn't have to take my stands down, he did it for me! He even arranged with one of the landowners so I could be drove in an UTV to one of our ground blinds right before I had my hip replacement so I could get one more hunt in

mrbb
04-06-2013, 10:11 PM
well I have to more or less leave mine up, always do on the ladder stands, but all my loc on's are staying up, and will do all new straps come fall
as a the place is bing timbered in mid summer, and have it set so they will leave all tree's with stands in them alone
so don't want to pull and then set up in mid summer heat,2 months or more before the season!
so rolling the dice on them not growing legs between now and then!

hortontoter
04-07-2013, 09:48 AM
My main stand came down and went back up yesterday. My SIL, myself and my trusty Craftsman tractor moved my Pota Pot stand on its four foot wooden platform about 70 yards yesterday. Sounds easy, but took the better part of two hours. The move was uphill the entire distance dragging the stand on its side. An ATV would have worked much better for this job, but the little tractor was all we had to use. We got the stand to the destination and sat back up. I'll get down one day this week and do some leveling and final positioning. I have very high hopes on the new location. Hope to get up at least some of my funneling fence next weekend.

Big_Holla
04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Sounds like good progress towards your plan Hortontoter!! Take a few pics if ya can!!

hortontoter
04-08-2013, 07:15 AM
If and when I get down to the property this week I will take a few photos from inside the stand looking over the new area. Then after I get things situated the way I want them I'll have some before and after shots.

Greybeard11
04-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately I haven't. I'm on vacation the first week of turkey season and hope to get them down then. Planning some inspection and painting.

ranger175a
04-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Took mine down last thursday

So.OHsalesman
04-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I usually buy some cable from farm and fleet. Grab some cable guides, wrap em around and secure them with a cable lock. Works awesome. I have 4 stands that I've done that to and they work great. Get the rubber coated cables to reduce noise and durability. Good luck Chief!

PlayTheWindMike
04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Nope, I sure wish I had them down by now though. Would really like to go over them and re-paint all the parts as well as take care of any squeaks. The ladder stands we will likely leave up again this year as we loosen the straps at the end of season. Just have to make sure they're solid when we start checking them late summer.

Have you found a place to get replacement cables?? I tried looking a few years back and it seems I wasn't able to.

Home Depo Bro. You can get protected cable and build your own. Even some everyday hardware stores have as well. Good luck Chuck

blackbeard
04-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I got all my stands down by the end of march, now figuring out which ones need cables replaced, you can also order them by length from some of the stand companies. I did find one already that a dangerously fraud cable!

Z7Mcclain92
05-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Nope, new stand locations going up and tree and shooting lane preparations. I do most of my scouting and stand setting up Post season that way I dont have to go back into the area till its time to whack some deer. I always make sure there isnt any type of unexpected foliage in my shooting lanes growing during the spring and summer months.