PDA

View Full Version : alfalfa cubes

stump98
03-22-2013, 12:01 AM
just wondering if anybody has tried feeding deer those hay cubes they feed horses?

mrbb
03-22-2013, 01:01 AM
well I have, heck in bad winters I have even feed the big bales(700-900 lbs ones)
deer will eat them, so will bears
but to be honest its much cheaper( unless your feeding the BIG bales) to use corn and corn seems to work a lot better

but yes you can use them to feed deer, they will hit them hardest in cold temps however rather than come green up when they can get it on there own by browsing fields of it!

Big_Holla
03-22-2013, 08:16 AM
I used them a while back as we had a big bag of them from a guinea pig we had at the time. Was cheaper to buy one of those big bags than it was to buy just one of the tiny one's just for the guinea pigs. I did it in mid December and they sat there for a while until deer discovered them one day. Then the whole area was rooted up until they were gone. Think it's a decent addition to put out if they can find it.

stump98
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
thanks guys

mrbb
03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
some how I replyed this, but it never took I guess
when you feed cubes or any alfalfa , you have to remember that if it gets wet, it will get moldy very fast, and mold can make things that eat it sick or even kill them
sure corn will get moldy too, but takes longer, and normally doesn't last that long
if you feed alfalfa , try putting out small amounts till they start on it
when i feed the Big bales, I place them on a pallet so they can get air on them on all sides, or better yet cut them in smaller pieces and put out that way, still keeping them on a pallet with a tarp over them, till I need more