PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTION BOX ~ Opinions Wanted!!!!!!!!!!!

Big_Holla
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
2013 is upon us and I have high hopes for BowhuntingOhio.com this year so I am asking everyone out there, all members of BowhuntingOhio (past and present) and even those out there lurking in the shadows, what do you see that we can improve on or change?!?!

No holding back please, sometimes hearing the truth hurts but it is also the way to grow. Anything from how the forum is organized, to how you see things ran, what would you do differently??

mrbb
03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Well to be honest I am happy with things

Maybe if I could pick something
I would like to see more activity in the off season( non deer season)

Seems to get pretty slow in here
But over all the site if fine in my book as is!

140class
03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't post much any more but ,Ido check things once and a while .The guys on here do a real nice job of things I've looked at some similar sites here in Michigan and it just don't seem the same.The activity seem way slower on these sites at home.

Big_Holla
03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Well to be honest I am happy with things

Maybe if I could pick something
I would like to see more activity in the off season( non deer season)

Seems to get pretty slow in here
But over all the site if fine in my book as is!

What do you think causes the slowness in the off season or better yet, how do we create more activity in the off season??

I don't post much any more but ,Ido check things once and a while .The guys on here do a real nice job of things I've looked at some similar sites here in Michigan and it just don't seem the same.The activity seem way slower on these sites at home.

I am with you on that 140Class, that's a good part of the reason why I enjoy and spend so much time on this site.

mrbb
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Well I personally think, as many folks that say there 365 days a yr hunters, well, far too many are not really
Come after deer season and before it, too many are just doing other things and don't either want to or have tye time to be on here
Life has a way of taking time off you, and many folks don't have it to spare

Maybe having more contests would help
Like a turkey, ground hog
Or like the trail cam pic contest
See who can get a picture of?? Pic a critter or the likes
As sure seems most folks like pictures on sites like this, and so many have trail cam's these days
But its hard I guess when so many are MIA too!
Or again no time to par take!
Can I guess maybe do more with fishing on this site too!
I don't fish much, but maybe others do and would enjoy having more of that here??

mrbb
03-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Also, seems like the camp outs had some interest
Maybe a Atv ride event??

Big_Holla
03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Well I personally think, as many folks that say there 365 days a yr hunters, well, far too many are not really
Come after deer season and before it, too many are just doing other things and don't either want to or have tye time to be on here
Life has a way of taking time off you, and many folks don't have it to spare

Maybe having more contests would help
Like a turkey, ground hog
Or like the trail cam pic contest
See who can get a picture of?? Pic a critter or the likes
As sure seems most folks like pictures on sites like this, and so many have trail cam's these days
But its hard I guess when so many are MIA too!
Or again no time to par take!
Can I guess maybe do more with fishing on this site too!
I don't fish much, but maybe others do and would enjoy having more of that here??

Good response. The one thing I don't understand though with the time off thing is there are many other general forums out there that are busy year round. I am wondering, is it because people on here maybe think that since this is called BowhuntingOhio that they cannot talk about other things going on in their lives?

On the contests I know many get burned out on doing something like that with no prize guarantee, but I wonder if that is really what goes on here. That was why I thought about doing a turkey team challenge but so far we only have 2 signed up...me and Seeker LOL! Guess him and I could just arm wrestle or something instead.

Still have myself wondering what has made some of the regulars leave over time though. Every so often I'll see some pop back in but never for a period of time. That is what the site needs IMHO, a core group of guys that shoot the shi# now and then. That's what brought me to the site to begin with.

Seeker Bp
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Oh NO!! Your not going to rip my arm off arm wrestling Big.....I seen those Guns fella!! I wish I had the answer to alot of your questions. I know as summer starts to kick in, I tend to fade away from the computer a bit more, but I still check in pretty regular. Not real sure what we can do to kick it up a notch. But I will say that this is my Home, and It would have to complety have to fall apart for me to go anywhere. Maybe the people who should throw out some ideas should be Chris and Mike. Maybe throw a Bone out there, something that would peak interest in old and new...Give us something to hang out there and intice some ideas. I personally would love to have a BHO BBQ......I love to eat, and I am sure there are many who like the same thing. But its difficult to set something to where everyone can participate. I really need to get started with an idea for a summer camp, get together. I have a great 5 acre plot that anyone would be welcome to spend a weekend at for a get together. We could set a date, and shoot for a BBQ weekend.

hortontoter
03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
To be totally honest, the last episode with BowGuy2 did me in. Seems the guy that was causing the stink was the one sided with and the rest of us were reprimanded because of it. I know the rules here and don't need a moderator posting them up to remind me of them because someone else is being a total idiot. I get on here most days and for the most part keep my thoughts to myself. But, the way this last episode was handled rubbed me totally the wrong way.

I know we all can't be happy with everything that goes on. I have met guys on here that have become true friends and will continue to keep in contact with them. But, my postings will be fewer than in the past.

A summer BBQ sounds like a good idea.

mrbb
03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Big Holla,
as for the time off thing, I truely believe that a lot of folks use this site to just see what's going on in ohio, both before planning a
deer hunt and during the Deer season, and thus why after deer season so many fad out till it gets close to deer season again
a lot of the non residents of Ohio(me being one)
and don't have an family in Ohio,
well I think maybe don't feel like they much to add to an Ohio hunting site
and again, fade out, with an occasional check in when time allows
I do think many guys here might stay in touch outside of the web site too, and as such don't post due to that too
seems like some folks here are more about being social on the site than others, using the site as a place to make friends, and not just as a hunting tool !
I know its hard being a non resident, and several hr drive to get to ohio, to get to campouts and such, and would think many others see that as a excuse too to not par take so much maybe!
only idea I have on getting more post and action here again is to create reasons for folks to add to all yr
what or how exactly , well??
thats the million dollar question I guess!

Seeker Bp
03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
I agree with you Hortontoter, the episode with Bowguy2 was stressful for several people. But I have to back the decisions made in that situation. We were dealing with a situation that no one wanted to see on a family oriented hunting and outdoor site. Staff was at a wits end with that Garbage. There was a bunch of behind the scene work going on that most people did not see.....Things were handled the way they were because the parties involved chose to have them end that way. We took no sides, but proffesionally gave choices....Choices were made, and the outcome is what it was. Opinions are given everyday, and no one should ever feel like there opinion is more valuable than any other person on here.....We value your opinion, and anything that you put forth in your thoughts to make for better hunting, fishing, trapping, etc...etc! Like I said, this is my Home, and I have made many friends, and hope to make many more. I enjoy your post, and really miss the post of many of the Veterans of the site. I would like to see things come back to the way it used to be, but thats not going to happen if Drama like this past one continues. Will be working on setting up a get together, and I truly hope that we can sit and talk as we did at Mike Fs...

hortontoter
03-21-2013, 07:59 AM
It is all water over the dam as they say. But, sometimes to much water makes for erosion.

Stan brings up a pet peeve of mine. I have friends and relatives that I've hunted with over the years. What troubles me is that these guys talk a big game, but spend very little time actually in the game. I, for the most part, tend to like guys that I know are as obsessed with hunting as I am.

I believe for the most part guys are excited about bowhunting more just before the season opens than they are three weeks after it starts.

This is why you read posts about not being able to sleep a few days or weeks before the season opens. Then a few weeks into the season these same guys have lost the passion and for the most part throw in the towel.

This is why the site has very little traffic on the off season in my opinion. And lets me honest, folks have other things to do in life also. Take Chuck, for instance. If Jenna has baseball tournaments in the fall he can't tell her, sorry I can't go to your game, I'm going deer hunting. Instead he goes to the game and hunts when he can. Very commendable of him in my opinion.

On another thought, I believe sites like facebook are detremental to open forums such as this one. Those sites allow for only the folks you want reading your posts, so everyone can have their little clique like they had in high school. Your all friends, and nobody is going to call you out on a statement you make. On a site like this, we will never all be friends. Sad to say, but true.

All sites like this will ebb and flow day to day.

I wish I had ideas to make it better, but at the moment I do not.

Big_Holla
03-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh NO!! Your not going to rip my arm off arm wrestling Big.....I seen those Guns fella!! I wish I had the answer to alot of your questions. I know as summer starts to kick in, I tend to fade away from the computer a bit more, but I still check in pretty regular. Not real sure what we can do to kick it up a notch. But I will say that this is my Home, and It would have to complety have to fall apart for me to go anywhere. Maybe the people who should throw out some ideas should be Chris and Mike. Maybe throw a Bone out there, something that would peak interest in old and new...Give us something to hang out there and intice some ideas. I personally would love to have a BHO BBQ......I love to eat, and I am sure there are many who like the same thing. But its difficult to set something to where everyone can participate. I really need to get started with an idea for a summer camp, get together. I have a great 5 acre plot that anyone would be welcome to spend a weekend at for a get together. We could set a date, and shoot for a BBQ weekend.

I agree on so many levels SBP! The BBQ is a great idea to call it that so new members and even old don't have to feel obligated to spend the night somewhere, after all we're all serial killers!! Seriously though, thinking of turning it into a Saturday all day cook-out is great and if those that want to, can turn it into a campout as well.

To be totally honest, the last episode with BowGuy2 did me in. Seems the guy that was causing the stink was the one sided with and the rest of us were reprimanded because of it. I know the rules here and don't need a moderator posting them up to remind me of them because someone else is being a total idiot. I get on here most days and for the most part keep my thoughts to myself. But, the way this last episode was handled rubbed me totally the wrong way.

I know we all can't be happy with everything that goes on. I have met guys on here that have become true friends and will continue to keep in contact with them. But, my postings will be fewer than in the past.

A summer BBQ sounds like a good idea.

I sure hear you on the BG1234 drama. Truth is I still don't know how else we could have handled it. He was a productive, yet often opinionated, member for a while. There was banter back and forth and soon one escalated it to the point of us having to do something we have only had to do to spammers. I really would like to hear everyone's opinions of what could have been done differently, perhaps our tolerance level should change? Keep it here in the open forum to talk about it if we can but if any feel more comfortable sending me a PM please do so!!

BTW, on that there were some who called for 2 to be removed since it started as a 2 way street.

Big Holla,
as for the time off thing, I truely believe that a lot of folks use this site to just see what's going on in ohio, both before planning a
deer hunt and during the Deer season, and thus why after deer season so many fad out till it gets close to deer season again
a lot of the non residents of Ohio(me being one)
and don't have an family in Ohio,
well I think maybe don't feel like they much to add to an Ohio hunting site
and again, fade out, with an occasional check in when time allows
I do think many guys here might stay in touch outside of the web site too, and as such don't post due to that too
seems like some folks here are more about being social on the site than others, using the site as a place to make friends, and not just as a hunting tool !
I know its hard being a non resident, and several hr drive to get to ohio, to get to campouts and such, and would think many others see that as a excuse too to not par take so much maybe!
only idea I have on getting more post and action here again is to create reasons for folks to add to all yr
what or how exactly , well??
thats the million dollar question I guess!

Good points mrbb! Yes we often do have the members who show up just before deer and turkey season like that. Wondering how we can keep them checking back in though. I remember back when I first joined it was trail cam pics that Split G2 was posting that kept me coming back through this time of year. Perhaps that's part of it, if staff were able to get more of those up now and then. Just little things we all could do I guess.

It is all water over the dam as they say. But, sometimes to much water makes for erosion.

Stan brings up a pet peeve of mine. I have friends and relatives that I've hunted with over the years. What troubles me is that these guys talk a big game, but spend very little time actually in the game. I, for the most part, tend to like guys that I know are as obsessed with hunting as I am.

I believe for the most part guys are excited about bowhunting more just before the season opens than they are three weeks after it starts.

This is why you read posts about not being able to sleep a few days or weeks before the season opens. Then a few weeks into the season these same guys have lost the passion and for the most part throw in the towel.

This is why the site has very little traffic on the off season in my opinion. And lets me honest, folks have other things to do in life also. Take Chuck, for instance. If Jenna has baseball tournaments in the fall he can't tell her, sorry I can't go to your game, I'm going deer hunting. Instead he goes to the game and hunts when he can. Very commendable of him in my opinion.

On another thought, I believe sites like facebook are detremental to open forums such as this one. Those sites allow for only the folks you want reading your posts, so everyone can have their little clique like they had in high school. Your all friends, and nobody is going to call you out on a statement you make. On a site like this, we will never all be friends. Sad to say, but true.

All sites like this will ebb and flow day to day.

I wish I had ideas to make it better, but at the moment I do not.

You hit the nail on the head with a lot of that Hortontoter!! If any of you haven't guessed......My name is Chuck and I am obsessed with whitetails and bowhunting.... I can understand how some get burned out, I do on occasion but it never keeps me from thinking about the crap or checking in to see if anyone has posted anything. Yep, you are right about Jenna and her ball playing. We didn't hunt much through October this year because of it but I have to remember that I also have my son Allen who is at that age where he could keep going down the path of video games or me take him hunting. I think I will have a lot of choosing to do from here on out and I sure hope to share a lot more of it with you all. Even the softball and other sports the kids are in, as I decided it's time to share some of my personal side and what takes up a lot of our year as a family. I guess that's what I have been asking others to do so I should lead by example.

Funny on the Facebook topic. When I first signed up and started posting things I was so worried about having old 'friends' I hadn't talked to in many many years seeing the true side of me or them being offended. I learned my lesson on that and now I don't give a crap. To be honest I use it as a tool to see loads of trail cam pics, make some new friends, find out about new hunting products, etc. all stuff that I can bring back on here and share as well. At the same time I try to use it as a recruitment tool and refer people to the site. Does it work? Heck I don't know yet but I sure don't use it like a lot of others do.

hortontoter
03-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I sure hear you on the BG1234 drama. Truth is I still don't know how else we could have handled it. He was a productive, yet often opinionated, member for a while. There was banter back and forth and soon one escalated it to the point of us having to do something we have only had to do to spammers. I really would like to hear everyone's opinions of what could have been done differently, perhaps our tolerance level should change? Keep it here in the open forum to talk about it if we can but if any feel more comfortable sending me a PM please do so!!

BTW, on that there were some who called for 2 to be removed since it started as a 2 way street.

If a majority thought two should have been removed, maybe that should have been the action to take. Maybe a vote should have been taken by the core members to decide removal. Core members could be members with X amout of time on the site with X amount of posts. Situations like this are not going to happen often, so best to let sleeping dogs lie.

If being opinionated, gets one in hot water, I may be the next one ushered to the exit doors.

ghunter
03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
I agree with what most have said as to why the traffic gets so low. I check the site two or three times a day I do read the new posts for the most part but if I don't have anything to contribute to the post I just go to the next. I enjoy talking with other members on here about bow hunting or just hunting or shooting in general. I am a bow hunter through and though but I am also an outdoors person. As much as I love to bow hunt I also love to grab the old slug gun and hit the woods with friends and family. Some people may bash me for that and I think that's also the reason some people either don't post or are afraid to post in fear of getting a bad reaction. I have a thick skin and I can tussle with the best of them and there is not much someone can say to offend me.

Unfortunately I will not be hitting the woods for bow season as of right now. I have almost burned up my vacation for the year and with a 4 year old at home it will be hard to get away. But that will not keep me form staying on here all the time. I love getting on here and seeing the success of some lucky Men and Women and Sons and Daughters. I think the site is good right now but sometimes the audience changes and with that the site must do something to attract/keep new members. There is only a handful of guys who stick around all year and those are the guys who you learn about and can be on a first name basis with. That is what I like about this site it just makes you feel at home.

ghunter
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
As far as bowguy whatever number he was. He was a bad egg I remember I sent him a trail cam pic of a big buck one night. A few weeks later I was on Craigslist and found some trail cams for sale so I text him about them and this guy sends me the same pic I sent bowguy saying his camera took it. Turns out it was bowguy trying to hustle someone.

I do agree with what Dick said about being opinionated I think everyone should be able to say why they think with out repercussions to some extent.

Big_Holla
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
If a majority thought two should have been removed, maybe that should have been the action to take. Maybe a vote should have been taken by the core members to decide removal. Core members could be members with X amout of time on the site with X amount of posts. Situations like this are not going to happen often, so best to let sleeping dogs lie.

If being opinionated, gets one in hot water, I may be the next one ushered to the exit doors.

That is the one thing I think we try to pride ourselves with and that's allowing members to speak their mind. I hate censorship and that can be where things get tough to make the decision when someone crosses the line or when teasing turns to taunting, etc.. The tough thing I found this year was not having a base of those core members and even staff members to really be able to go to and get advice. I by no means have any of this stuff figured out so thank you to all that are participating in this discussion.

I agree with what most have said as to why the traffic gets so low. I check the site two or three times a day I do read the new posts for the most part but if I don't have anything to contribute to the post I just go to the next. I enjoy talking with other members on here about bow hunting or just hunting or shooting in general. I am a bow hunter through and though but I am also an outdoors person. As much as I love to bow hunt I also love to grab the old slug gun and hit the woods with friends and family. Some people may bash me for that and I think that's also the reason some people either don't post or are afraid to post in fear of getting a bad reaction. I have a thick skin and I can tussle with the best of them and there is not much someone can say to offend me.

One thing I have always wondered is do you all think that since this is BowhuntingOhio that we somehow push away gun hunters that may occasionally pick up a bow or crossbow? Say with the Team Challenge for deer season, should we look at including them in some way? I do know that is why some members have moved on to other sites, simply because they got flack from talking about gun hunting or posting up some of their gun kills. Should we make it a point to always remind members who put down gun/muzzleloader/crossbow/etc hunting that we are all in this together? Have we done a good job doing this in the past? Is it too much??

Unfortunately I will not be hitting the woods for bow season as of right now. I have almost burned up my vacation for the year and with a 4 year old at home it will be hard to get away. But that will not keep me form staying on here all the time. I love getting on here and seeing the success of some lucky Men and Women and Sons and Daughters. I think the site is good right now but sometimes the audience changes and with that the site must do something to attract/keep new members. There is only a handful of guys who stick around all year and those are the guys who you learn about and can be on a first name basis with. That is what I like about this site it just makes you feel at home.

That is also what I love about this site. For me it's a little different since I live up in Michigan I long for the days of being down in Ohio bowhunting. This site is what keeps me sane (notice I did not say insane as my wife would describe) during the times of year that I cannot be down there.

As far as bowguy whatever number he was. He was a bad egg I remember I sent him a trail cam pic of a big buck one night. A few weeks later I was on Craigslist and found some trail cams for sale so I text him about them and this guy sends me the same pic I sent bowguy saying his camera took it. Turns out it was bowguy trying to hustle someone.

I do agree with what Dick said about being opinionated I think everyone should be able to say why they think with out repercussions to some extent.

Just crazy crap on the first part of that ghunter! I agree with you guys on the opinions and then some. Just gets hard to figure it all out when someone doesn't take comments or criticism very well and things turn ugly. Like Hortontoter said though, it doesn't happen too often but when it does it sure can take the wind out of our sails!!

hortontoter
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I think for the most part we all think gun, crossbow, compound and recurve users are hunters. Hunters use what they want to use and feel comfortable with. I think some guys need a little thicker skin, including myself, at times. When someone thinks less of a crossbow user I get a bit defensive. I'll be the first to admit that a crossbow is most likely easier to master than a compound. But a compound is easier to master than a recurve. Guys in trees have an advantage over ground hunters. We could go on and on, but whats the use. How one hunts or what weapon they use is really irrelevant in my mind.

On another point, I think some people enjoy the drama and bickering so they tend to stir things up. I try to avoid confrontations and arguments, but I refuse to bury my head in the sand on subjects that I find controversial. I know my over reactions to some subjects stems from my love of the sport. For me, life without hunting, wouldn't be life at all.

My wife and I have had the discussion about one of my biggest fears. What will I do if someday I physically can't hunt. I guess I'll have to wheel up to this desk and spend my time seeing how everyone elses seasons are going.

mrbb
03-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Well here is an idea maybe
Is it maybe possible to have someone higher up on the site and that lives in ohio to have maybe a live cam set up, over maybe a mineral site or something??
As I believe we all agree many here like seeing pic's
And why I try to post a bunch, , never mean to be pushy about show pic's, just think folks like to see them, and since so few seem to post, I do
Plus I'm lucky to have a good mix of critters I capture on my cam"s
But maybe if we had a live cam set up, more folks would check in to look!

Stonegod
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Well here's my two cents....first off I've got nothing more to say about bowguy2.....well.....almost nothing LOL...... except that if you guys could read the PMs he sent me you'd know why he was banned (the Mods were able to read them) and as far as Bowguy2 being a "productive member"???......... I'd love to see just one of his posts that reflected that. As for off season traffic on this site....well it's plain and simple.....this site isn't setup nor managed to be the kind of site that guys/gals will come to on a regular basis year round. It's used by most as a tool in the fall to gather information on deer movement/activities and to see what other fellow hunters are tagging. This question on how to improve traffic on here in the off season has been asked before, but I doubt that anything can nor will be done to improve traffic on this site. Case in point.....the time to have asked this question was in the fall when there were enough members using it to have a reasonable attempt at coming up with some solutions......not during the off season when there's not enough members to have any meaningful input. I do see a new passion coming from Seekerbp since he's become a Mod and less crap seeping through the cracks because of his efforts. A BBQ would be a great idea and would allow for some serious discussions on how to better the site. But only if the "higher ups" are truly willing to make changes would such a discussion be fruitful. As far as members who cause trouble, some sites I belong to have a grading system for the members.....to many bad grades from your fellow members and your asked to leave.

Big_Holla
03-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Well here's my two cents....first off I've got nothing more to say about bowguy2.....well.....almost nothing LOL...... except that if you guys could read the PMs he sent me you'd know why he was banned (the Mods were able to read them) and as far as Bowguy2 being a "productive member"???......... I'd love to see just one of his posts that reflected that.

Just to clarify to keep from having a mass panic, as far as I know there is no way of any of us that moderate to have access to anyone's PM messages. They have to be forwarded to be read.

To throw it out there on BowGuy2 last year he was productive and we had no problems with him. The situation made the worse come out I believe and hopefully that is water under the bridge.

As for off season traffic on this site....well it's plain and simple.....this site isn't setup nor managed to be the kind of site that guys/gals will come to on a regular basis year round. It's used by most as a tool in the fall to gather information on deer movement/activities and to see what other fellow hunters are tagging. This question on how to improve traffic on here in the off season has been asked before, but I doubt that anything can nor will be done to improve traffic on this site. Case in point.....the time to have asked this question was in the fall when there were enough members using it to have a reasonable attempt at coming up with some solutions......not during the off season when there's not enough members to have any meaningful input. I do see a new passion coming from Seekerbp since he's become a Mod and less crap seeping through the cracks because of his efforts. A BBQ would be a great idea and would allow for some serious discussions on how to better the site. But only if the "higher ups" are truly willing to make changes would such a discussion be fruitful. As far as members who cause trouble, some sites I belong to have a grading system for the members.....to many bad grades from your fellow members and your asked to leave.

I agree that the site is set up more for bowhunting and being more of a seasonal thing. My hopes of making it a year round site still will not fade though and the search will continue to keep asking members what we can do to improve. Can't ever just quit trying. If this produces good input you can be assured it will be passed on to the owners.

The reason why I asked this during the so called "off season" is because of a couple of factors. This really shouldn't be the off season with shed antlers and turkey preparations. Yes, to a certain extent it is the off season, but at the same time the core people I am looking to for input are the ones that ARE here this time of year.

Bringing on Seeker BP was one of the best decisions made. He has helped out tremendously whether it's been nabbing spammers, helping out with the Team Challenge, or just someone to get advice from. On the crap seeping through the cracks it may not be fun to hear but I want to know what it was that I (we) dropped the ball on.

As far as a grading system boy I could see that really pissing plenty of members off just because of a bad review!! Now as staff we do have a way of adding infractions, say when a member breaks a rule or treats someone poorly, we could implement that. Of course it would also mean that staff are picking on someone....ugh...can't win!!

Seriously though, keep the thoughts coming.

Stonegod
03-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Just to clarify to keep from having a mass panic, as far as I know there is no way of any of us that moderate to have access to anyone's PM messages. They have to be forwarded to be read.

To throw it out there on BowGuy2 last year he was productive and we had no problems with him. The situation made the worse come out I believe and hopefully that is water under the bridge.

Just one last thing about bowguy2.....during the 2011 season bowguy2 and hortontotor were going at it pretty good. You must of missed/forgotten that one.....now I'm done with bowguy.

Stonegod
03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
When I send crap seeping through the cracks I mainly mean site fights with little or no stepping in by the mods until it's to late and causing members to leave.....I can give you examples if you want but it be best to keep that in a pm. But it's not to hard to figure out which long time members are now gone or just casual visitors now do to bickering. Chuck it's nice to see a few of you guys fighting to better the site....I truly hope you're successful in returning the site to the one I first joined.

Big_Holla
03-21-2013, 09:24 PM
When I send crap seeping through the cracks I mainly mean site fights with little or no stepping in by the mods until it's to late and causing members to leave.....I can give you examples if you want but it be best to keep that in a pm. But it's not to hard to figure out which long time members are now gone or just casual visitors now do to bickering. Chuck it's nice to see a few of you guys fighting to better the site....I truly hope you're successful in returning the site to the one I first joined.

Useful information there Stonegod. I always thought allowing people to work things out on their own was the best philosophy but it does make sense to stop things before they get too heated. I would say I have been more worried about looking too heavy handed instead of being a moderator and keeping members in line.

As for BG2 and Hortontoter I guess I don't recall that one so there I'll admit my mistake in calling him productive.

We sure aren't perfect but I am trying my best to get more right than wrong.

hortontoter
03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I think the Team Challenge brings in quite a few "passing ships in the night". Don't get me wrong, the TC is a good thing, for the most part. But, I see a lot of guys sign up, take part in the contest and then disappear until next TC is ready to begin. These are the type of hunters, that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. They just don't live deer hunting like some of us do.

IMO these will never be part of the core of the site. Of course some of them may be beginners and could grow to love the sport as we do. I try to be helpful and friendly to someone new, but many times I feel they are just "fishing" for info or trying to get a place to hunt. When I get this feeling I backoff, be it right or wrong to do.

The episode with BG and I was a long time coming. I turned the other cheek as long as I could. But, when he pushed me to far and ruffled my feathers I spent nearly an entire day copying and pasteing his outrageous comments he had posted. I then posted them up and "plucked" him like a Thanksgiving turkey. I'm not going to lie I kinda felt bad about it, but I thought it might just turn on a light in his head somehow. I normally try to avoid confrontations and be productive for the most part.

mrbb and I have had a couple discussions in the past. Don't ask me what they were about though. I don't even remember and I'm sure Stan doesn't either. We were pretty much level headed and agreed to disagree. No harm, no foul, as it should be. We both still read and comment on each others posts and share info all the time.

Point is, some guys let the water run off their backs and some don't. Just the way it is and we all have to deal with it.

I say we all meet in Ashland this summer and have a good time together. Count me in.

Stonegod
03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah can I catch a ride with you Dick?lol.

hortontoter
03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Your turn to drive somewhere.

Big_Holla
03-22-2013, 09:57 AM
On the forum page itself, what do you guys think about the categories?? Too many? Not enough specific? What do you think? I know there are several sub-sections that barely get any use if at all, you think they should go or be incorporated differently?

hortontoter
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't see any problem with what is there. I would think most guys just hit "NEW POSTS" like I do to see the latest posts.

While we are on this subject. When I click new posts every morning why do all the Manufacturer Anouncements fill the first 2 or so pages? Is it like this for everyone or do I need to chage a setting on the site?

mrbb
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Well Dick, I agree me and you and heck me and a few other have debated on the forum, and I never took offence, and hope no one else did
I just gave what I felt was my point of view
And I do so I hope to maybe give a different angle or perspective as well grew up hunting I think in diffdrent ways, and thus maybe learned a few different things
And I like the site having the different places to post, but agree its sad so few get used, thus I guess why this post was started

As for the new post deal, I too get all the MFG's post, some of them I do find interesting, and some just gibber gabber Lol,

Seeker Bp
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
All good conversation going on here! And its hard not to agree with everyone on there points. I am just glad to see a committee of good people having an adult conversation about what it takes to make a better situation for all. As far as the question about Bowhunters and Gunhunters....man I dont know what to say....I hunt with both, But I hang true to BHO because its always catered to Bowhunters. I would not like to see guns added to the Team Challenge....But I believe in a Democracy, so if a vote was taken, and it was chosen to add guns to the challenge, then I would accept the change....simple as that. I am not leaving the site because of it. Water off my back, just like a Duck. As far as a grading system, I am totally against it.....Totally against. I would rather see it handled just like it was....and that was a first for Big Holla, and I hope its the last. I really believe one of the biggest problems that any site has, is how many questions are there to ask about hunting before they have all been covered. I do know that Big Holla and I both appreciate your ideas and suggestions and also your proffesional outlook on things. I hope that if there is anything I can help you all with you will ask! Thanks guys

Big_Holla
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't see any problem with what is there. I would think most guys just hit "NEW POSTS" like I do to see the latest posts.

While we are on this subject. When I click new posts every morning why do all the Manufacturer Anouncements fill the first 2 or so pages? Is it like this for everyone or do I need to chage a setting on the site?

Yes it's that way for me as well. At times I wonder if that's how I miss so many posts now and then too. Usually when I get on I look at the first page and then the last page to see what the members have been up to. When I have time I do try to look through those MFR Announcements as there is sometimes good info. I know they aren't too popular with some. What do you all think??

mrbb
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Well I agree its easy to miss post due to all the MFG posts every day, all the more so the longer you don't check in
It might also be why so many don't reply to post
As could be several pages to have to sift through
And again many folks dont have the time to waste on here
But like I said, some are interesting, too
But to be honest, I think I could do without them, like before?
Most things I'm interested in I find out in other ways so?

Stonegod
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
On the forum page itself, what do you guys think about the categories?? Too many? Not enough specific? What do you think? I know there are several sub-sections that barely get any use if at all, you think they should go or be incorporated differently?

Well that ATV trail section gets absolutely no traffic or input!! I mentioned this about a year ago and it got shot down.....but I'll try again.....I think that a foraging section might be good since most foraging is done in the "off season", I forage alot and it would be nice to see who else is out there doing it and what/where they're finding tasty woodland treats. Hey it's got to be atleast as popular as the ATV trail section!LOL Guys could learn to forage as they walk through the woods shed hunting.

Stonegod
03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Those MFR posts could go, I don't bother reading them and just assumed that it was a way for the site to increase it's thread count. But if they stay or leave doesn't really matter to me, I just work around them and can continue to do so.

hortontoter
03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Seeker Bp;152171]All good conversation going on here! And its hard not to agree with everyone on there points. I am just glad to see a committee of good people having an adult conversation about what it takes to make a better situation for all.

This used to be how the site conversations were most of the time when I joined. As long as no one stirs up the hornets nest this is a pleasant informative place to spend a little spare time.

Stonegod
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Well said Dick.....I couldn't agree more.

Seeker Bp
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Ahhhh...I too Forage!! I really like that idea...so many options in that. Cant wait for the Morels to start popping..

ghunter
03-23-2013, 06:52 AM
I just usually quick browse the MFG stuff. Like Chuck said sometimes there is some good info in there. On Tapatalk they are usually at the bottom so its not a bother to me.
As far as adding guns to the team challenge maybe we could do that but at a lesser point?

Stonegod
03-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Ahhhh...I too Forage!! I really like that idea...so many options in that. Cant wait for the Morels to start popping..

Hey good to see there's someone else on here who does!!!.....first item on the list this spring is one of my favorites.....ramps!!!

Big_Holla
03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
As far as adding guns to the team challenge maybe we could do that but at a lesser point?

Here is my thinking on the Team Challenge. A lot of members would rather go to a different site that includes gun hunters that attempt to go bow only all season just to get points for our challenge. A lot of the other sites out there give a bonus for bowhunters or perhaps a minimum number of points if it's a gun kill. Just thinking out loud but by including the other seasons will more than likely increase participation.

Hey good to see there's someone else on here who does!!!.....first item on the list this spring is one of my favorites.....ramps!!!

I guess I haven't given much thought to a foraging type of forum topic. I really don't want to keep adding topics when we have so many that are not productive though. I guess I wonder how used this one would be and again, what others we could do without?

I agree on the ATV going bye-bye, although there is a recent post in there so it has some use. Was also thinking about Swap-A-Hunt and Wilderness Survival. Then again maybe the Wilderness Survival could be combined with the Foraging?? Home-Made Projects?? Those topics could just be tossed in with Discuss Non-Hunting stuff.

hortontoter
03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm surpised the Swap A Hunt doesn't get utilized more. Even more surprising is the fact that I have never spent a day deer hunting with anyone on this site. I did have Curran bring his grandfather to my place once to hunt out of a box stand. His grandfather was having a hard time getting around so my dad took him to and from the stand on his ATV. It was great to be able to give Sean a chance to spend an afternoon in the woods with his grandfather.

mrbb
03-23-2013, 07:03 PM
well Hortontoter, I think that's because too many folks have there private honey holes and don't want anyone maybe killing one of there big bucks
I know I have offered a hunt to a few guys, but didstance is the problem on my end, and might be on others too

heck I even offered the wounded warrior program, afew hunts at my place and others!
, got them a few outfitters willing to take them on free hunts and they never followed up
so offering hunts isn't easy it seem,s even for a free paid for hunt at a well known outfitter?
or my experience any how!

Stonegod
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Dick....you were invited to come hunt with me.....ya asked me to get the "ok" from my bro....he said it was fine.....but ya never came up.

Big_Holla
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
So here's a few thoughts on the forum structure:

- Ask about daily feeds from Outdoor Wire. Any way to limit them?
- One thing I started doing for myself to see new posts is I go to the forum section the daily feeds are in and mark this forum as read. That way when I look at the new stuff those are not highlighted any more which helps find the others easier. Something to think about too....as I type this there are 72 people looking through those wire feeds....that does seem significant!!

- Would like to combine the outdoor survival forum section with a foraging/mushrooms topic. That way we don't eliminate the survival and we don't have to create yet another section and they seem to go a bit hand in hand with each other.

- ATV Talk section - could we do without?!

- Food plots - Would like to see some other words in that title to encourage more posting. Such as Habitat Management/Minerals/etc.. With the one topic being dedicated to Trophy Rock I wonder if some are hesitant to post their mineral updates simply because they aren't using a TR?!

- Drop the idea of a Turkey Team Challenge?!?! Wow, I just cannot believe there are only (3) signed up....two of which are staff!! WTF comes to mind! Any ideas to get people signed up?? Heck if it doesn't become anything more than a 1 person team I'd be willing to throw in a BowhuntingOhio.com T-shirt.......I know I'm a glutton for punishment!! Shouldn't have to come to HAVING to give something away but hey, that's how society works.

- Bye Bye to Swap A Hunt - maybe could add a note to the leasing section to incorporate it??

Now I know I am going way above my boundaries even more than I already have but what do you all think about the colors, layout, etc. from the Home page to the Forum page?

Stonegod
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Seems like you got some good ideas about reforming the topics....I think if you lose the two ATV topics...nobody would even know they're gone, since nobody uses them now. I think the turkey challenge is a great idea, but the time to have been seeking members to sign up would of been during deer season, so most members would of heard about. I think alot of guys are done and won't check back in til the end of August. As for the foraging forum I think it could stand on it's own if it's saddled with the survival forum it might go unnoticed. If anything I'd think that the foraging forum would go hand and hand with shed hunting since you could do both at the same time. I for example think of foraging as way more than just a temporary means of surviving....I combine it with scouting ect and foraged foods account for about a forth of all my food intake. they're healthier and free!!LOL

mrbb
03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
well not to say I think its needed but come fall some folks do talk ATV's when it comes time to buy one for hunting season,, so to me, I would leave it, doesn't seem to hurt any to me being there as it is
next
as for the survival forum, and a
well to me I some what think they are different, if I had to see one go, I would lean towards removing the survival forum
I don't really think to many guys here really go to many extremes on hunts
but a lot of folks do seem to pick blackberries/rasberries here and some mushrooms
in my neck of the woods its more blueberries(summer) and mushrooms (in the fall only), no spring time one's here or if so, no one I know has ever found or picked any
so to me a foraging forum I think would get more use, not a lot, but maybe more active than a survival forum
things like safety straps and harness's/vest, seem to get covered in the general hunting forum, right before or during deer season,so??
iother than that, I don't ever seem to hear much about needs to survive, as so many hunt so close to home and have cell phones and service, and well BIG wilderness just isn't what ohio is about(or most states to be honest!) most places you are no farther than a bisk walk to a road or a house anymore
and in case of an injury/fall, ??
well again back to phones and people knowing your gone and when your coming back kinda covers things anymore
in a drop hunt, or a BIG wilderness hunt like out west in the million + acre hunting area's. I think survival skills would have more interest if folks hunted there a lot more, and sadly only a few here make a trip out west, and those that do seem to go pertty smart with many felow.buddy system hunters

next, as for swap a hunt

again to me its like the ATV deal, doesn't see much action, but does it really hurt any being there??
never know who might add one and maybe help another guy out!

next what about my Idea about trying to set up a live cam some place in Ohio? over maybe a mineral site or a feeder, could give more of a reason to check in, no??
could show weather info, and stages of growth on bucks and such, so many places have live cam's any more , state game depts, atv and snowmobile trails and such, would be cool to have one i think, or even more!

Stonegod
03-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Some good ideas mrbb.....but I still think that both ATV forums could go....in the ATV TALK forum there's been only one new thread started in the last 3+ years and even that only had something like 13 posts on it. (and very few views) And that much loved ATV TRAILS....has absolutely zip...0...nota...not even one thread pertaining to ATV trails...in fact the only thread on there is the one I started over a year ago just stating how lonely that forum was, so there's still ZIP ATV trail info on there. LOL As far as foraging I still think given time it would get quite a bit of use. Here in Ohio and over in PA too....there are things to forage for during spring/summer/fall and even winter if your an experienced forager and you know what your doing......first on the list this spring here in Ohio (and PA) are ramps....mmmmm.....ramps!!! (wild leeks).....last month was maple syrup/sap.

mrbb
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
stonegod, I agree on the ATv deal being dead slow, but again, doesn't really seem to hurt any being there in case??
and as for finding something to forage for most of the yr, I agree, but also think few is any do forage all yr
big events are more summer for sure here in PA, minus the maple draw going on now, but never seen a single person here on this site that took part in doing that, all I ever seen here were mushroom pickers, and then lots of berry pickers/apple/fruit tree's

here in my area, I have known a ton of old timers that were super heavy into mushrooms, and again, never a one ever found a good one, in spring time, or ever even heard of anyone here eating what they found in spring time
I spend tons of time in the woods yr round, do see some mushrooms in early summer, but never seen then till it gets warm, and more come out near late summer into fall here
Not saying there cannot be any, its just not something folks here do, and I grew up in forested lands, and about some farms
and all the old folks here were mushroom pickers for generations, lots of local Tv news stations and out door shows run tons of episodes on picking them , even our state game dept has a book about them they sell
funny how different areas have different plant and forage

Fishing is an almost yr round game, and even that get so little action on this site, makes you wonder

Stonegod
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Well my thinking is that if we did have a foraging forum then maybe more guys would start trying it and guys who already do forage will start posting about it.,,,as an example, before we started talking about foraging, I had no idea that Seekerbp was into foraging. As for the ATV forums, having them remain on the site of course won't hurt anything, but that wasn't Chuck's question...he was inquiring as to which ones aren't used much nor needed.....and they certainly fall into that category.

Big_Holla
03-27-2013, 08:23 AM
The reason I had brought up what forums aren't used much was because a friend mentioned that dead forum sections can really impact how sponsors and even the general public view the site. Never thought much about that but if you think about it, you have a few sections that no one posts in it does take away from what is good. This is all good discussion though and after I get some information I am hoping to chat with the owners and see what they think. Maybe it will help things, maybe not but I am hoping to continue to improve and attract new members, or most importantly keep the good one's we have and maybe bring a few of the old one's back.

hortontoter
03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
If you want real traffic maybe changing the site name would be a good start. Maybe somthing like Ohio Woods And Waters or The Buckeye Outdoorsman. A name like that may attract more year round usage.

mrbb
03-28-2013, 12:40 AM
I think changing the name could work too, but at the same time I think it might take away some of what I like about this site?

Seeker Bp
03-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Been kind of sitting back taking in all of the ideas being thrown around. Some great ideas for sure. Not real keen on the idea of changing the name of the site, I have never been one for change, have always been one for keeping things the way they are and adapting to the situation. Thats just me....Bowhuntingohio.com says what we are about! I too would like to see more members and more participation, but I really believe that no matter what its called, your still going to have the same thing happening. Longdraw and I were chatting the other day while shed hunting, and we believe that facebook has become one of the big reasons for the slowness of the site. Facebook has made it possable to be selective of who you want to associate with. As far as the forum Topics, I still like adding foraging with shed hunting, because they really do go hand in hand.... ATVs has seen very very little action, and would probably get more action in food plots, because thats where most apply the usage of there ATV anymore. Now to cover the topic of share a hunt........this is just my (opinion) This is where hunting has gone bad.....Selfishness The whole idea of hunting is to share the experience with others and teach. Mike F has shared a hunt with me, and I have shared a hunt with Andy F, and Whitetail freak has shared a hunt with me, And I gave my favorite stands to Spike and video taped his first Bow Kill. I have spent time in the woods with Longdraw, The Reezen, Redneck Ross. And then there is the time spent at Winter camp and Summer camp....Its what you want to put into it!! Big Holla has become part of my family, and I am with him to try and keep BHO thriving and developing. But I see the benefits and have gained from them by the people who reside on here. Thats why I dont want to see many changes. What I would like to see is some words from some of the people who I look up to and were the face of BHO, such as Mike F, Blackbeard, Longdraw, Redneck Ross,Superbuckey, etc etc. These were the guys that were giving some great advice, and some good stories when I first became a member. What chased them away? Was it the forum names? Was it being to busy? What would bring them back? All good questions!!

Big_Holla
03-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this SeekerBP. The name change isn't an option in my book but Hortontoter does bring up a good point when it comes to attracting people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I think in my frustration to figure out what made those leaders you talked about disappear I am grasping at straws on how to "fix" things and maybe am trying too hard. We cannot forget what brought all of us to THIS site, whether it was the name, the people or just wanting to be part of something good. Reorganizing the forum probably isn't the answer either as it is PEOPLE that bring PEOPLE to the site. Also what keeps them here.

I agree that FB has a lot to do with it. I find myself on there liking all kinds of hunting related things, etc.. Heck I don't give a rat's ass what others think of me on there any more and enjoy posting up things about the 2nd. Amendment, trail cam pics, etc., etc.. However I still find the time to check in here. Not because I am "staff", but because I do care about what people have to say here and enjoy each and every post people make. Sure we all have highs and lows and things happen in our lives that take us away now and then. How do we get those to come back? I have no idea.

hortontoter
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
I really don't like the idea of a name change either, it was a thought as to why the traffic is slow.

Early on in the thread I mentioned FB. I believe this is a big deterrent to site usage. I'm not a member on FB and really know very little about how it works. But, it seems that if you only allow certain people on your page you miss out on other folks thoughts and views. Sometimes that can be a blessing, I'm sure.

The amount of traffic that is here, or not here, really doesn't effect me. I check in a few times a day and see if anything interesting has been posted. If not I move on.

I tried the other Ohio deer hunting site a year or so ago and found it more interesting in some ways. But, more bickering there than here, but seemed everybody more or less ignored it. One thing I did like was the thread where you could post your own daily hunting results. Kinda like a journal that you shared with everybody.

The Team Challenge they have was way to complicated IMO. I like the set up here much better. Why measure antlers and all that for a competition that is supposedly based on fun and a little bragging rights. If a Chevy Silverado was the grand prize I could see getting down to 1/4" measurements, but for fun, I think not.

I know that site took some of our members here away. I hung around there and here for a while and decided I liked this site a bit better. I still go there occasionally, as I know some other here do. I only read and haven't posted there in probably over a year. I don't even remember my password.

We just have to hang in there and see what develops over time.

Big_Holla
03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Glad you brought up that site Hortontoter. I still visit and occasionally post over there now and then. There is always something to learn from other sites, some may pertain to this one and some may not. The trail cam section and the shed hunting section is what I go there for the most and that is part of what I wonder where we can improve over here. Not to sound like a baby but heck, my last post on our shed hunt has been up for a while now and has only gotten a few replies, yet someone finds one antler and several people usually reply in a few minutes. Trail cam pics are the same. Here I had gotten kind of tired of going through the motions of uploading and posting my pics, only to get a couple of replies. Makes you wonder if any of it was worth the effort. I know that's not the attitude I should have when trying to fix things though.

As far as the member hunt journals we had asked a while back if any would be interested in that and got little if no response. Been a while since we did ask though. That certainly could be a good thing to think about adding, helps add that personal flavor to the site. Also enjoy seeing members making their own trail camera posts and updating often, not sure if a separate section would be necessary for that though, maybe just encourage members to start their own thread? Same is true with sheds and even turkey hunting. Sometimes I wonder if a daily report that everyone chimes in on keeps people from creating their own personal update?

Glad we have this going as it opens up new ideas and new possibilities. Keep them coming everyone!

Seeker Bp
03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Uhhhhhhhh....... Is it September yet?.....lmao.... Come on Elk trip!! Somewhere in Idaho!! Cant wait to post pictures of that GIANT BULL I'm gonna smoke with my ELITE!! Oops! Sorry, got lost in the moment!! Yea yea...on Turkey now. Is it still just you and I Big? And Hortontoter, I am so glad that you have decided this is the place to be! I really believe that myself. I have met to many good people from this site to just walk away from it.....Just refuse to get caught up in the Drama!! Alright..back to work....

mrbb
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
well I don't go to any other Ohio site's, never have since I found this one yrs ago
when I first joined here it seemed like a closer group of guys on the site, that truly wanted to share and learn how to be a better hunter, or a more consistent big buck killer
they all seemed to share a lot of knowledge along the way
back then I don't think there was as much info out there as there is now
in the past 10+ yrs QDM, management of deer, knowledge of deer, hunting shows, and web sites has gone through the ceiling
thus, I think that is also why so few par take here like yrs back
they get all that info in other ways, no need to build a relationship here to join a group cliche or??
far too many people I think guard there hot spots, and places they hunt, thinking it will make them better hunters or what ever
thus they come to hear things gain more knowledge, and think there coming away ahead
I have said many times, and still a firm believer, that if folks don't share info, sooner or later out sport of hunting will fade away
I am not saying you have to share you number one spot with people
but its never a bad idea to take a fellow hunting, tell them of a good place to try or like I have many time, of a different hunt in another state where you can hunt for a good deal
hoarding deals and spots, mean fewer and fewer people hunt
and if people cannot find game, they many times give up
and with the seemingly pressure and talks about PRIVATE lands being the best(just look how many people come here looking for just that access to private lands, when there are Thousands of good public lands out there)
its a shame to me
yrs back people willingly let folks hunt private lands, , not its a money deal to most, be it in fee's or fear of law suits
times have changed, not for the better if you ask me
there are times when I wish this site had some sort of a deal in which members had to have "X" number of posts to hear some info
as maybe then, there could be a closer group of guys logging in for info and sharing info
I do believe many folks here don't post info, due to not wanting to share info tips places with the seemingly more and more viewers that only show up to get info and leave never adding anything to the site
but like I said, sharing is important to the sport
so its just hard I think with so many ways for people to gain access to info in the modern world
what is the answer
??? don't know
I like the site now, liked it better yrs back sure but if only a hand full of folks chat here its still fine with me
maybe not sponsers but??
having many of the regulars living far away, I think is a big part of why there is less get together, and shared hunts
I know for a fact if many of the regulars here were closer to me, I would have had a few that came and helped me kill some doe(maybe bucks too) and had many good hunts, but 7+ hrs away that's a lot of time and $$ these days
thus why many hunts don't happen I think between many regulars here

longdraw
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Facebook has killed this website,,alot of us keep in touch on it,,maybe BHO needs to start a facebook page and more guys will talk on it

Big_Holla
03-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Facebook has killed this website,,alot of us keep in touch on it,,maybe BHO needs to start a facebook page and more guys will talk on it

Glad to see ya back on Longdraw! Actually BHO is already on Facebook.

Big_Holla
03-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Here is the BHO Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ohiobowhunting?ref=ts&fref=ts

Oh, and yes....the FB page has those same Outdoor Wire posts up on them..... :117:

This got me thinking through the night though. I understand communication between friends is much easier on FB, even more if that's the first and last site you visit through a day. If I thought that was the root problem then I could just throw my hands in the air and say there isn't anything I can do about it. However, it doesn't explain why a lot of old members have gravitated to other forum sites and post up their hunting pictures and stories there and not here at all any more.

I can understand the feeling of posting the same story from one site to another, many frown on that and for all intensive purposes I don't understand why. For me I could care less if someone posts up a story on one and then posts up the same exact word for word story here. Often it's a completely different audience but for some reason it's often ridiculed as being a forum whore or something. Thoughts??

Stonegod
03-29-2013, 08:42 AM
So if longdraw is right....and Facebook has killed this site.....then isn't this thread a mute point? I'm nolonger on Facebook but other sites I belong to...such as OGF,TOO and a predator site all seem to be doing well. I do think that perhaps some of the old regulars just got sick of the unchecked bickering so they simply stayed in touch with each other through Facebook where you can choose who you wish to associate with. But again I think it goes deeper that just losing members to Facebook since like I said.... other sites...including "that other Ohio deer hunting site"(TOO)... seem to be doing well. I truly think there's just not enough here to hold regular members year round and as other sites appear like TOO.....guys just migrate over there during the "off season" do to the fact that they have more things to offer...make new friends ect......and just never return....or atleast never return as a regular member. I believe this site will always be hot during deer season or atleast up to/through the rut. But for now it seems like that's the most this site can hope for. I also joined TOO...visit it once in awhile...but I tend to join sites that target an interest of mine... This site deer, OGF site for fishing, PT for predator hunting and a foraging site for foraging....though the foraging site is national and a more local site would be nice, since it would do a better job giving local guys a heads up on what's in season in their neck of the woods.

Big_Holla
03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
I think you are right for the most part Stonegod. The unchecked bickering is one that will haunt me some time I guess. Thought we were doing a decent job. One thing I have noticed on other sites though is often the members end up being the one's that run off a problem starter rather than the heavy hand of a moderator. Generally on those they are just badgered so much they just get pissed off and don't come back. Is that the way to go? I don't know. Sure can see the evil side in people you once had respect for too though.

As far as this being a seasonal site I agree, and I guess that's the hand we are dealt. I certainly and personally appreciate everyone that does come on here in those off season times and makes a post or a reply to someone else's post. That's what I think we all can do and do more of, to make this the best bowhunting site around.

Stonegod
03-29-2013, 10:55 AM
One thing I have noticed on other sites though is often the members end up being the one's that run off a problem starter rather than the heavy hand of a moderator. Generally on those they are just badgered so much they just get pissed off and don't come back. Is that the way to go? I don't know. Sure can see the evil side in people you once had respect for too though.

I think that's how it's been done on this site also....take bowguy as an example....he was messing with me and Dick...I was asked by the a Mod not to confront him on the open forum as I would have done in the past....if the mods hadn't stepped in the a forum fight would of continued until someone got fed up and left, there have been numerous members that have been driven off by regulars do to them being trouble makers....most were new members whom seemed to be younger and just like posting crap to stir up trouble. But I think this type of culling out bad members is what most guys consider "bickering" so to avoid it they simple go to a site like FB were they can associate with guys that they get along and avoid the knuckleheads.

00buck
03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
I personally am on this forum site at least 2 times a week in the off season and everyday during the season and have not met anyone off this site and am not a member in any other site i joined for the older generations wisdom and knowledge of bow hunting as i have had to learn everything by myself and was not taught to bow hunt by people in my family. And have referred friends here

SKO
03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Im new here and have not examined every part of this site but i would like to ask what does this site offer that others dont? Not asking disrespectfully but curious as to "why this site exists"

Stonegod
03-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Im new here and have not examined every part of this site but i would like to ask what does this site offer that others dont? Not asking disrespectfully but curious as to "why this site exists"

During the deer season...especially up to and through the rut I'd say it offers the best most informative info on what's going on in the Ohio woods. Tons of great conversations on just about anything and everything pertaining to Ohio deer. And I believe it still offers the opportunity to make some great personal friends....I've become good friends with several members....hopefully there'll be more to come. It also offers newbie deer hunters a chance to learn and the support needed the succeed without feeling like you're an idiot in the woods!lol.....for the most part they've been great to me.....though like myself some may be getting tired of me ending my season deerless!LOL....but even so I feel that the guys are rooting for me to tag one.

Big_Holla
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM

SKO that actually has to be the BEST question anyone could have asked! If that is something we don't ask ourselves, from staff to member, while going through this process of trying to improve what is here to help make our forum grow. I would say for each member you might get a little different answer.

A lot of guys have reflected on what brought them here to this site in the first place in this thread. For me it was honestly Split G2 and his trail camera pictures at the time. Back then I had been hunting some down in Ohio and really found it was the place to be. Heck, growing up I had plenty of opportunities to go down but I always had it in my mind that Michigan was better...boy was I wrong. After seeing that there were many crazy bowhunters on here that were just addicted to whitetails and archery as I was it was fitting for me to become a member. Little did I know that BowhuntingOhio would become a home to me where I would make great friends and even lose touch with some over the years. It has always been a place for me to come, think about bowhunting ohio whitetails, or even turkey, and get my fill of what can help me become a better Ohio bowhunter.

Soon after becoming a BowhuntingOhio member I made the decision to only bowhunt from here on out down there. It's a decision that has haunted me several times yet been the most rewarding life experiences I have known. Being able to share my stories and experiences with fellow members, while learning and hearing the stories and life experiences of other fellow members!!

So, why does this site exist?? For me it's simply a part of my family. It's like sitting around a campfire down in Ohio with a bunch of fellow bowhunters. It simply doesn't get any better than that. That is why this means so much to me.

Big_Holla
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I am wondering what you all think about the HOME page to the forum. If you go directly to www.bowhuntingohio.com the page that is displayed is what I am talking about. Is it necessary?? If it were to say what would you prefer to see there? Some people, we have found, got to the home page and didn't even realize there was a forum behind it. What are your thoughts on this??

00buck
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
i personally dont see the need for it make all the other stuff on the home page accessible from the forum and get rid of it the members that are on here probably bypass the home page i know i do

hortontoter
04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I can't see why someone would not know there is a forum on the site. All one has to do is read the info on the homepage. Maybe a voice linked to direct a visitor to the forum instead of a product advertisement would help.

Soon September will be here and all will be back to normal. Trail camera photos will peak everyones interest and we will all be back in to the swing of things. Until then I will be getting ready for next fall, got plenty of plans. Fishing and groundhog hunting will help the summer go by quickly (I hope).

Seeker Bp
04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I too Agree Toter, Come Sept, things will be better. I truly hate summer! Work, sleep, work, sleep..... Awwww Sept, it will be on us before you know it.

Big_Holla
04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
I agree with ya fella's and thank you for your input so far!! Yeah this stuff isn't much fun, not like trail cam pics and shed antlers. Thanks for bearing with me while we look at things from a different perspective. It's all meant to make things better and hopefully attract and keep people here.

mrbb
04-02-2013, 05:00 PM
well not to beat a dead horse
but again what about a live web cam over a mineral site or someone's feeder in ohio?
I think that would get folks to log in more often, and have it so only memebers can see it then, more folks will have to join to view?
maybe even have it so trail cam pic's and such
other sites I know have it so only members can see pic's
so??

00buck
04-02-2013, 11:27 PM
love the idea of live web cam over an ohio feeder but how would one go about doing this

mrbb
04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't know, but tons of site I g to have them
well I check on snow conditions all the time in places I used to ride
and most have live cam's for yrs now, some for well over 15+ yrs too
so figured if they have them, should be possible for us to maybe get one?
I even like the idea it being for memebrs only too, to maybe help get some to join in ?
just an idea
here is one cam I check often, in WY, cool to see snow till late in June many yrs!

http://www.togwoteelodge.com/webcam.aspx

and here is one closer to Ohio

http://www.paccsa.org/webcams

some have night vision, but most don't
but still cool to see them
here is ajust a woods cam

http://www.johndee.com/

maybe can even just start up a tread on web cam's people look at and see from there?

Big_Holla
04-03-2013, 08:18 AM
love the idea of live web cam over an ohio feeder but how would one go about doing this

That's my biggest wonder as well. I would say it would take quite the set-up to get one going, something I surely don't have time to do or maintain. It's a great idea but I'm in the frame of mind that it would take an awful lot of preparation, cam set up, website work, etc.. Love the idea though and maybe if there is anyone interested in giving it a shot then this is the place to step forward.

Until then hopefully we can get trail cam pics posted more often and maybe some video from a lot of the new cams out there. Cannot wait to get back to Ohio to check my cameras and only hope I have some good pics to share.

hortontoter
04-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I'd love to have one at my property. But, not even cell phone service there let alone an internet connection. For now still photos is all I can share. For now all we can do is wait til next season. Looking forward to more scenes like this one.

Curran
04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Tough question to really narrow down Big Holla. Couple quick thoughts though...

Time - family life has gotten busy, work life has gotten busy, and time on forums has been reduced. I still check in on BHO from time to time, but not like I used to. I mostly look to check in on Hortontoter since he's ornery and drives a camo tractor. Of course yourself, Mike F, Seeker, mrbb, and a few others keep me checking in just to keep tabs on you all. I see Longdraw & talk to him quite a bit so that doesn't factor in. SB, BB, Curt, Kinzy & Ross are frequent FB contacts, so it's easy enough to share stuff with them over there.

That leads to the next thought...

Content - since time is at a premium, I started seeing myself bounce around to different sites (OS at first, then TOO was born, and of course FB). I was looking, not specifically because of a lack of content at BHO, but maybe a better way to say it is a lack of "new posts". This is just me... when I jump on a site I click on new posts. If it's been a few days, and there are 5 pages of new posts, but 4.75 of those pages are Manufacturer Announcements, and not member generated content, it get's annoying trying to filter through everything.

For the record, I hate the Manufacturers Announcements... especially when I see them on FB. It feels like pimping... maybe I'm wrong on that, but it seems like a cheap & easy way to set a program that pulls those pieces of information from the internet, then creates a post. Then the site can pull data to show to it's sponsors that they're generating content in order to keep the sponsors. Which either generates revenue, or free goodies, or both. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's a free market, and it helps keep the lights on. But there are other ways, possibly better ways. It just depends on the purpose of the site.

The questions SKO asked, "why does this place exist?" is a darn good one. The name suggests it is here for people that have a shared interest in Bow Hunting while in the state of Ohio. So, that is how people are going to find the site. That limits the audience I think. I know everybody here does more than just bowhunt in Ohio, but the content in the forums doesn't back that up with generated information. I don't know how you broaden that, or if you do? If BHO is a niche that specifically focused on that singular aspect there is nothing wrong with that. Focus on that, and be the best in that regard. Embrace it as the mission of the site.

Thinking back, I suppose the time that TOO was born, was when many of the regulars started to filter out. There may have been some "behind the scenes stuff" going on that I may not totally be up to speed on, so I won't pretend to be. Regardless of that, TOO was started, and knowing some of the guys over there as well, I was asked to come join and I started seeing my time spent there from a forum perspective. So, from a deer hunting in Ohio forum standpoint, I still found myself spending time at both TOO and BHO at first. I still have many friends here at BHO (at least I hope I do, lol) and have met some of the most genuine and generous people I know through outdoor forums, be it BHO, TOO, or others. That is why, when asked, that I decided to take the time to put my thoughts out there. Hopefully I didn't step on any toes, as that's not my intention.

mrbb
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
well being an outsider, meaning a NON ohio resident
I honestly think that the major amount of folks on this site do NOT hunt other states other than Ohio
and that could be why we have less folks here
or maybe its just , and again just my 2 cents
it doesn't really seem like anyone on this site talks about hunting any place else but ohio, minus the few members that run out west for elk
I know over the yrs I have shared many of my out of state hunts, even offered a lot of great onfo on some super hunts for the cheap that could be had
and I never got much feedback, not expecting anyone to go just cause I went or recommend a place
but just didn't seem like anyone really cared about hunting any place BUT ohio for the most part
and again as a NON resident, it does seem like many folks don't like NON residents at times here
I think most have an open mind, and I sure get it, NO one likes a person looking to get free info that doesn't live here
but at the same time, over the yrs I have seen many new folks that just joined in that live in Ohio, get a LOT more offers for help finding a place to hunt in ohio, than a non resident asking for same info?
a new member is a new member and what state they live in shouldn't matter to me
but it does in all honestly seem to here more than other sites I been on!
I grew up in a state and an area where NON res hunters were frowned on, so I get that many have that , lets say breed into them due to yrs of that thinking
but my stance has always been , hunters need to stick together, or hunting some day will fall

as for a suggestion
and I have no idea on or if its possible
maybe an outfitter here or just someone with some good lands, can maybe offer a free hunt in a contest, as a way to generate some more action here?
I don't have land in Ohio, or I know I would be willing to take a guy if it helped get some action on the site!
I know this can be a dirty question maybe, but hey
never know who you will meet and what friendship could happen
and would a couple days of letting a person hunt be that Huge a deal?
sure it could suck if they killed your target buck, but maybe you could add a deal that this"X" buck is off limits
just an idea!

00buck
04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
I have some time on my hands and will look into what kind of gear is needed to run a 24hr live cam and will let you guys know if it will be possible for me in near future

mrbb
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
00buck
thanks, that would be cool if you could
sure many here would enjoy
maybe could even try to get some memebrs help on costs too
never know who would give what??
maybe a small fund to keep corn or bait going??

00buck
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
and i agree with mrbb that certain parts of the site should be member only or all of it
and would like to maybe see trail cam pics broken down into states and maybe even zones like they do in the seasons bag limits

Big_Holla
04-03-2013, 09:03 PM
00buck if this is something you are serious about and decide to do let me know. Would be something to pass along to the owners to see if its something we could support.

Big_Holla
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
So I don't know if any of you have noticed, some changes have already been made here as a result of this thread and your participation. The Manufacturer Announcements have been stopped, some re-organizing has begun on the forum page and the Home page is now the forum page itself.

Thank you to all of you that are helping make this THE place for bowhunting IN Ohio!!

00buck
04-04-2013, 01:23 PM
i have noticed and the changes are great what re-organizing is going on

Big_Holla
04-12-2013, 10:20 AM
So the youth sports post was a waste of time. Thought for sure that would catch as they are often big on other sites.

Not sure how it can be set up but does anyone have ideas of how we could do member hunt journals? Do you think it needs it's own section or people can just start their own threads under the topic for the season?

hortontoter
04-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I'd suggest a main Hunt Journals heading and each individual start his/her own thread. One could even post about other hunts such as other big game or small game. Maybe start a new thread in the spring of each year. Or even run the thread per calendar year.

00buck
08-23-2013, 04:50 PM
sorry never got back to you on the 24 hr live feed the landowner had told me no on this but i think it would be good idea BRINGING BACK THE OLD THREAD MAYBE MORE PEOPLE WILL HAVE IDEAS THIS TIME AROUND