PDA

View Full Version : Mathews guys. Should I upgrade??

Lord ToneKing
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Hey fellas, I have a switchback XT that I have killed a lot of deer with. Shoots great and never had any problems. Well, a few weeks ago I shot the new Creed and fell in love with its look and feel. Im just not sure if its worth the extra cash to even consider it an 'upgrade'?

I'm ready to take the plunge but maybe I just need some encouragment lol

Big_Holla
03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
I am right there with you LTK!! I have been shooting my Mathews Q2 for the last 13 years and have decided this is the year to do it. I haven't shot the new Creed yet but it is on my MUST-DO list before I make my final decision. In fact I haven't shot any Mathews yet this year. So far at the top of the list (after shooting several bows at the Bowhunting Super Show) is the Elite Answer. I have time yet and money to save so I will be looking forward to seeing what you do!! Juuust do it....everyone is doing it too....... :seeya:

MQ1
03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Keep the XT and do the upgrade if you really like it. You can always sell the Creed on ebay within the first year and maybe not even loose anything, I havent looked into that paticular bow , I am not wild about split limb bows personally. But if she was fun to drive Buy It.

mrbb
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Well sounds to me more of its a matter of wants than needs
So with saying that,
If you can swing the $$ I say go for it, never hurts to have a new bow
Is it an upgrade?? Well
Can only re invent the wheel so many times it seems it
All comes down to how much want is there
Bow are pretty much a stand still if you ask me, minus the few Short brace one's getting over 345 fps
And even them, been like modals now for a while
Super slight improvements if you ask me, it all in marketing now, making you want this yrs models over last yrs models, or for first timers buying!
Most bows we have do fine as is
Good luck and have fun

Z7Mcclain92
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
If I was you I would upgrade, The Switchback xt is a great bow but just not as nice as the newer Mathews. Me personally I dont like the Creed, I still shoot my Z7 I bought when they first came out, i have been waiting for MAthews to come out with something new and different Like when the Z7 came out, the newest model just dont have to much difference then from the Z7 so I cant see the sense in buying another $1000 dollar Bow. Maybe try shooting a Z7 model, HELIM or a monster see which one you like the most.Any of these Im sure you'll like any of those butter then your xt.

MQ1
03-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Well sounds to me more of its a matter of wants than needs
So with saying that,
If you can swing the $$ I say go for it, never hurts to have a new bow
Is it an upgrade?? Well
Can only re invent the wheel so many times it seems it
All comes down to how much want is there
Bow are pretty much a stand still if you ask me, minus the few Short brace one's getting over 345 fps
And even them, been like modals now for a while
Super slight improvements if you ask me, it all in marketing now, making you want this yrs models over last yrs models, or for first timers buying!
Most bows we have do fine as is
Good luck and have fun

mrbb i understand your point about the wheel comment but i will have to disagree on some of it i have had bear ,, browning ,, and now mathews bows they all have wheels but some wheels are made different . I started with a MQ1 , then a DXT which was much better to me the limb angle i would say has had alot to do with the fit and feel of the bow too. but the break over of a 1 cam bow a 2 cam bow , and differnt configurations of each make a more comfortable ride , i have settled on the Z and it will be hard pressed to top it , it is so comfortable to me its like shouldering that ole shotgun you used since a kid its like pointing your finger. I have all three here still and i can shoot one after the other and trust me there is a difference. I am not trying to make you wrong , you may very well not see a difference, But i will recommend Lord ToneKing to go and shoot that bow again , or even a third time due to the cost and the Shine Factor in a new bow before he would buy one and yes i think i would , The only bad part of this is Tone you cant try a new Z7 because they have been discontinued . Unless your shop has one if they do i would line them up. Everyone is different in how one thing feels to another but the Z7 is hard to beat in my book.

CityBoyzOutdoors
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
I know you guys are Matthews guys and normally matthew guys or any other loyal brand people stick with that brand no matter how well the bow shoots etc.

I suggest trying out an Obsession Bow. They were the most liked bows at the ATA and their customer service is phenomenal. If you shoot one you will understand why I am posting. No vib, fast, quiet, everything you want from a hunting bow. Check them out, if your going to spend lots of money to owe it to yourself to shoot one of these.

mrbb
03-18-2013, 10:58 PM
mrbb i understand your point about the wheel comment but i will have to disagree on some of it i have had bear ,, browning ,, and now mathews bows they all have wheels but some wheels are made different . I started with a MQ1 , then a DXT which was much better to me the limb angle i would say has had alot to do with the fit and feel of the bow too. but the break over of a 1 cam bow a 2 cam bow , and differnt configurations of each make a more comfortable ride , i have settled on the Z and it will be hard pressed to top it , it is so comfortable to me its like shouldering that ole shotgun you used since a kid its like pointing your finger. I have all three here still and i can shoot one after the other and trust me there is a difference. I am not trying to make you wrong , you may very well not see a difference, But i will recommend Lord ToneKing to go and shoot that bow again , or even a third time due to the cost and the Shine Factor in a new bow before he would buy one and yes i think i would , The only bad part of this is Tone you cant try a new Z7 because they have been discontinued . Unless your shop has one if they do i would line them up. Everyone is different in how one thing feels to another but the Z7 is hard to beat in my book.

well again I agree they have come up with some minor better things over the yrs, but both one and two cam bows are nothing new to be honest
and I ahev always said a bow that fits you will be a much better bow than a top dollat latest and greatest that doesn't
I just saying personally a LOT of things are at a stand still, weights and speeds of bows are about the same as they have been for last many yrs
sure there are some better, as slight as they might be, but if I had a bow i shot well, was in ball park with speeds, and fit me well
only reason to really upgrade is wants of another bow, as there just isn't that many MUCH better upgrades to me
I like new toys so that part I'm right on board with, if you have the scratch, go for it, some times in life having what you want more than needing it makes a lot of confidence, and thats a BIG plus, or just makes you want to shoot more,again a plus
but my old bow was in the 330 fps and about 4.3 lbs, sure there lighter and faster now, but nothing HUge to me

Big_Holla
03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
I know you guys are Matthews guys and normally matthew guys or any other loyal brand people stick with that brand no matter how well the bow shoots etc.

I suggest trying out an Obsession Bow. They were the most liked bows at the ATA and their customer service is phenomenal. If you shoot one you will understand why I am posting. No vib, fast, quiet, everything you want from a hunting bow. Check them out, if your going to spend lots of money to owe it to yourself to shoot one of these.

As a Mathews shooter now I vowed to shoot as many different models I could get my hands on before I made my decision. Thanks for the recommendation on the Obsession, I've heard from a couple others that is one brand to try!!

I agree with you on this MQ1, the bows I shot at the Bowhunting Super Show showed me there is always something that can be done to make one stand out from all the rest and there is always room for improvements. Whether it's the grip, the draw cycle, the draw stop, how the bow handles on the shot, etc. I found there is so much more to the new bows than I ever imagined.

Griz
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree with you on this MQ1, the bows I shot at the Bowhunting Super Show showed me there is always something that can be done to make one stand out from all the rest and there is always room for improvements. Whether it's the grip, the draw cycle, the draw stop, how the bow handles on the shot, etc. I found there is so much more to the new bows than I ever imagined.[/QUOTE]

So thats really going to make you choosing one alot easyer? Good luck lol!

Big_Holla
03-19-2013, 01:01 PM
So thats really going to make you choosing one alot easyer? Good luck lol!

Actually yes, from the show I have one bow that is a frontrunner out of the G5, Ross, Elite, etc. bows I shot. All of them had great advances over my older Mathews but after shooting I was able to narrow down the selection field. The one I liked the best and was pretty well blown away with was the Elite Answer. So, I will use that when I go and try more models and brands in the next month or so and before I make my final selection I plan to go back and shoot another Answer again.

MQ1
03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Actually yes, from the show I have one bow that is a frontrunner out of the G5, Ross, Elite, etc. bows I shot. All of them had great advances over my older Mathews but after shooting I was able to narrow down the selection field. The one I liked the best and was pretty well blown away with was the Elite Answer. So, I will use that when I go and try more models and brands in the next month or so and before I make my final selection I plan to go back and shoot another Answer again.

The local ProShop here has tried to get me to shoot one of the Elite bows, they do know i am a Mathews fan thru and thru and have never tried the Elite bow , but they do highly recommend them. Maybe some day when i decide to try out a new rig i may shoot one.

Big_Holla
03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
The local ProShop here has tried to get me to shoot one of the Elite bows, they do know i am a Mathews fan thru and thru and have never tried the Elite bow , but they do highly recommend them. Maybe some day when i decide to try out a new rig i may shoot one.

I think you'll be surprised!

Guppy
03-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I shoot a creed and it is amazing I wouldn't trade it for anything. If u got the money I would buy one :-)

Big_Holla
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I shoot a creed and it is amazing I wouldn't trade it for anything. If u got the money I would buy one :-)

Great to hear that Guppy!! That's the kind of stuff that is helpful to some of us in the market. Will be sure to give that one a try!!

Lord ToneKing
03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Update: I shot the Creed again and though I really really like it I think Im just gonna put a few bucks into my XT and do some upgrades to it (new sight, stablizer and rest). I just put a new string/cable on it last October so that's taken care of. I've just killed so many deer with that bow and it really is a great shooting bow. I have always had total confidence with it and I'm sure with some added goodies on there it will even give me more confidece

I'm taking the approach that if it aint broke...dont fix it. Not to brag or anything, but I really never miss when Im shooting at a deer. That XT is like a point and shoot. Im sure to always wait for the right angle and the right yardage. Once Im at full draw I feel like its a done deal

Maybe after next season I can look again, but for now I'm done ;-)

Big_Holla
03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Interesting to hear that LTK! Kinda makes me wish I had bought the Switchback several years ago when they first came out. Then again that was around the time of our big work slow down so it's all in hindsight. Let us see what kinds of upgrades you do to it if ya can!!

Lord ToneKing
03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Interesting to hear that LTK! Kinda makes me wish I had bought the Switchback several years ago when they first came out. Then again that was around the time of our big work slow down so it's all in hindsight. Let us see what kinds of upgrades you do to it if ya can!!I'll let you know how it all turns out!

I did quite a bit of research and from what I gathered the XT was the favorite to many guys who actually did upgrade to newer bows. Even my dealer talked me out of the Z7 and the Helium when I was wanting to upgrade then. He said those bows werent worth the 'upgrade' in his opinion. However, he does love the Creed. I do too...but not for the added cash it would take to get it.

So I guess I'm keeping my XT and just doing little add-ons here and there. My goal is to get a single pin sight (kinda like the one Lee and Tiffany use. Seen it but dont know what brand it is?), a Rip cord rest and an axion stablizer...and maybe some colored harmonic dampers for the 'bling' effect ;-)

rednecklb69
03-23-2013, 09:07 AM
They use a version of spot hog. The one they use is something crazy like 500 bucks.

Lord ToneKing
03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
They use a version of spot hog. The one they use is something crazy like 500 bucks.$500 whaaa???

Scratch that off my list lol!

blackbeard
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm still shooting my first bow, a Q2xl, but if I had the cash I'd probably upgrade even though I still love my old, slow bow.

Greybeard11
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Just a friendly warning......I shot my Q2 for years and never had a reason to upgrade, THEN I got the bug and wanted something new. I could not afford $1000.00 for a new Mathews so I bought a used Mathews S2, a great bow but I never got comfortable with it. So, I shopped around and bought a new Diamond Outlaw. My son had a Diamond Edge at the time and I was very impressed with it. This is a very nice bow also, BUT I just never felt as comfortable with it as I always was with my Q2. I then shot a friends EZ7, and I REALLY liked it, so I was on the search again and finally purchased a used EZ7. I am finally happy to say that I have found THE bow for me again. Now it isn't one of the newest, fastest bows out there but I am so happy with it. And my son ended up with the Outlaw and he loves it. So.....the moral of this story is to be careful, it might not be so easy to find something that fits you just right and it can take some trial and error!! Good luck.

Pep4
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Easy question...DEFINITELY! Buy a Hoyt! instant upgrade!

Sully
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Easy question...DEFINITELY! Buy a Hoyt! instant upgrade!

I'll second that motion!

rednecklb69
03-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Hoyts are great for throwing in the corner and letting all the dust collect on them. :)

YouthHunter
03-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I purchased a new bow last fall. Mathews Z7. I had also shot the new Mathews at the time and felt better with the Z7 extreme so I had the bow shop order one for me. I love it, this year I might think about switching to a Hoyt.

wvbownut
03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I had a Switchback XT for several years and loved it. But last year I decided to upgrade and I went with the Z9 and I absolutely love it.
With it's high brace height it's the smoothest shooting bow I've ever shot. It's not as popular as the Z7 but it shoots and feels great.You should take a look at all the bows Mathews have to offer.