PDA

View Full Version : Looking for turkeys

Gobblestalker
03-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Guys, I am looking to vacation in southeastern ohio this spring and would like to ask for some direction as to where an experience turkey hunter and caller might spend 3 or 4 days in the turkey woods.

Gobblestalker

Big_Holla
03-14-2013, 08:22 AM
If you are looking at state land then I would recommend anywhere in the Wayne National Forest. Vinton County, though rugged, is a great place for turkeys.

hortontoter
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
I highly suggest the Egypt Valley Wildlife Area in Belmont County. I no longer hunt there, if you PM me I'll give you the GPS coordinates to a couple of good spots. These are good spots that have produced for me and my dad. We now have a place closer to home to hunt.

Gobblestalker
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi guys, glad to meet you. Thanks for the suggestions. Hortontoter, new to this and not sure how to do the PM. My email address is eastsidepromotions@bell.net if this helps. I was hoping to build a freindship with a fellow turkey addict that might have private local land to allow my partner and I to share in trade for same setup here in Ontario. Here I have tremendous private acres with lots of birds. I have also been able to place two birds in the ontario records at the #3 position for archery. Any help with the public land ( where we wont get shot or beat up)would be a great help.

mrbb
03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
another thing you can try is contacting the local game warden in areas you would like to hunt, most will tell you an honest answer on populations in there area

as for turkeys, right now they been hammering my back yard feeders, strutting and gobbling a LOT last 2 days too

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/008-20_zpsec12792b.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/007-15_zpsb1425100.jpg

Gobblestalker
03-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Cool pics. The birds here are just starting to break from winter flocks. We still have about 6" of snow. I pro staff for Gobblestalker Calls and we just finished demos at the Toronto Sportsman Show a week ago and I am pumped up now and cant wait to get in the turkey woods. I spoke to warden for the Tranqulity State Forest and he gave me a little info, but still trying to find the best opportunity for the 3 or 4 days I will have to hunt.

Griz
03-14-2013, 05:31 PM
I second Big_Holla on Wayne National Forest. Tranqulity is 45 minutes west of Wayne, but inbetween is Tarr Hollow. I scouted there last spring and man I saw some nice birds. Be ready for some big big ridge's with steep drop offs. I couldn't say about hunting pressure. But its like every other public land hunt, get away from the roads and trails and you'll be fine. Good luck to Yah.

Gobblestalker
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks Griz, I will check out Tara tonight online. When you say get away from roads and trails, how far are we talking, 100s of yards or miles?

Griz
03-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks Griz, I will check out Tara tonight online. When you say get away from roads and trails, how far are we talking, 100s of yards or miles?
Miles would be hard to do. I've been a mile or a little more according to my GPS. If you can tree a bird from the road its too close. If you go to the top of the first ridge and try to locate one and go from there. The tops of the ridges have small paths on most of them and with a topo you can navigate to the bird. Once you learn the area it will be alot easyer. Also Tar Hollow has some big ag fields next to it. There are all private so you would have to hunt them back up the ridge on public land. The boarders are marked well. You will have to play it by ear when you get there. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

hortontoter
03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Sent you a PM with some GPS coordinates. Hope it helps.

Gobblestalker
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the leads. I am going to put all my info from a number of ohio helpfuls and decide on a location to pursue birds.