PDA

View Full Version : Is it spring yet!

Griz
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I was plowing a customers driveway last week when I noticed some turkeys in the woods. Not that uncommon at this driveway. I had finished and turned around to leave when I looked threw my side mirror, this is what I saw.
I was surprised to see the adult toms gobbling, struting, and even chasing hens. They were so occupied that I got out of the truck and took the picture with my IPhone. Our season doesn't open until the 1st week in May. I've never seen them do this with snow on the ground and temps around 30. Maybe there wishing for an early spring too!

Big_Holla
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
I think they're chomping at the bit themselves for Spring!! The warmer temps over the weekend sure has me ready!!

mrbb
03-12-2013, 03:06 PM
well thats cool
and well I think many folks just don't know, but a turkey will gobble all yr, and strut too
they just do it a TON more in mating season
second seldom known fact about turkeys, hens can gobble to, just very few do it, don't believe me, look it up!, its a fact1

and over the past few yrs here where I am at, the mating has been starting earlier and eariler
global warming or what?? but last few yrs shed hunting in late feb/ mid march I been seeing and hearing them gobble there brains out and with flocks of hens, putting on major shows, even fighting with other hens
then come mid april, I am busting hens off nests

so I think spring is here to many turkeys
then again if you only got some once a yr, you might be jumping the gun sooner too LOL

Seeker Bp
03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I dont know Griz, but I know I am ready for spring....Got a sample this past weekend, then Big Holla came down to Ohio this past weekend, and brought that crappy Michigan weather with him! :) Come on Turkey and mushroom season!

Big_Holla
03-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Lol yeah I prob drove too fast and brought this cold crap back again. Looking forward to the Ohio warm weather again this weekend, just hope I don't goof the weather for you all for next week!!

Seeker Bp
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
LOL......Looking like your going to have a great weekend down here Big. Enjoy!!

hortontoter
03-13-2013, 07:09 AM
I think we are all ready. I was out hunting groundhogs last Saturday. Saw a few while driving, but none while hunting.

Griz
03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I dont know Griz, but I know I am ready for spring....Got a sample this past weekend, then Big Holla came down to Ohio this past weekend, and brought that crappy Michigan weather with him! :) Come on Turkey and mushroom season!

Maybe you should ban Big_Holla from Ohio until May? lol

Griz
03-13-2013, 07:52 AM
I think we are all ready. I was out hunting groundhogs last Saturday. Saw a few while driving, but none while hunting.

Goundhogs ! There still sleeping here, under a blanket of snow. Got my first wiff of skunk last night. Thats a good sign spring is coming. My wife is talking about bringing in the bird feeders at night before the bears come out.

Big_Holla
03-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe you should ban Big_Holla from Ohio until May? lol

AwwwMannn............. :icon_bs:

Gobblestalker
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Everyone will have to keep me in the loop as to what warm weather feels like. We were -12F last night and still locked in 10" of snow. The birds have started to break up. The winter flock of 40 across the road has scatered, but what is funny, in 3 or 4 weeks a larger group of 60 - 80 will arrive and spend a few days and half will move again. In first week of April it is nothing to see 20+ strutters in the field.