PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Licks

wvbownut
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
What brand of mineral is best and when are you putting them out?

Big_Holla
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Best I would recommend Trophy Rock and Monster RAXX. Economical then look at minerals from TSC for cattle, goats, etc.

mrbb
02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
well I think its best to run them all yr if you can
and as for the best
thats a loaded question
I think the cheapest way to go is to make your own
many home made blends you can get hundreds of lbs of them for the price of a big name brand
all you have to do it do a search and sure you will find tons of home made plans
plus every bag thats comercially sold will have ingredients on them
can buy bulk minerals from many feed stores, and just mix yourself too?
just a thought!

CityBoyzOutdoors
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Track Hoe from Portage Co. Outdoors
Scott who owns it knows his deer nutrition.
www.portagecountyoutdoors.com

SSpengSS
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
My vote goes to Trophy Rock. I have not seen deer tear up a mineral site like they do with a TR.

I usually put out acorn rage, sugar beet, and apple blocks to give the deer some variety, but those are not even close as effective as a Trophy Rock.

Usually put them out in january, april, and july. More than enough minerals are absorbed into the ground.

Big_Holla
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
It's always best to keep the minerals out year round. This time of year it is even more important through all of summer as that's when they will use them the most.

Buckeye360
02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
I set out in June 1st with cams. My best hot spots get this: tsc 50# bags of 2 mineral, 1 salt, 1 corn. Mixed all together in 3-4 foot circle in ground. Mix up really good. Top with trophy rock in month. Then hit best sites with apples as season approaches. On new / experimental sites Trophy rock way to go. My deep mineral sites last one year.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

hortontoter
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
I've only used the Trophy Rock. The deer at my place use it mostly from February through mid September. I find it and a trail camera to be a great tool for herd inventory.