PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Sites

Big_Holla
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Earlier this month we were able to get down to the farm there in Ohio to do some quick mineral site updates. We ran out of time to buy any special minerals so we went back to an old tried and true method, Tractor Supply bulk minerals for two of the sites. The third we were to use a bag of Monster RAXX that I had won a while back. Monster RAXX is a mineral that has quickly grown in popularity over the last couple of years and shown great results.

Big Stump/Waterfall Site
This site we have had going for several years now we often refer to the big stump or the waterfall site, as there is a good size gorge below the site where a small waterfall exists. This site was originally started with Trophy Rocks, then bag/bulk mineral salt/Di-Cal mix and the last year or so a mineral/meal mix that contains a lot of the same ingredients the mix we used to do has.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/dsc_0067_1024x683.jpg

Old Pond/Old Saw Site
Last year we started a mineral site we called the old pond as it was right next to an old pond that often dried up during the summer. The site was very productive however the weeds grew so fast there the trail cam pics weren't always the greatest. So we moved it this time around about 30 yards further into the woods, towards an old saw site. So we will often call it the old pond or the old saw, depending on which pops into our heads. This site we used a big old log as our base to pour the mineral over.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/dsc_0068_1024x683.jpg

Big Holla Site
This site is all new this year. It is in the big valley on the property we call the Big Holla. Here we decided to use the Monster RAXX mineral. This will be a great comparison with the other sites as it is in the middle of the property between the other two.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/dsc_0070_683x1024.jpg
http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/dsc_0071_1024x683.jpg

So we have trail cams up on all 3 and it is killing me to see what has came in and if they are still carrying any headgear!!

Griz
02-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Is there a reason you didn't stay with Trophy Rock? I would also be iching to see those trail cam pics. I know you'll post them when you can.

Big_Holla
02-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Trophy Rocks are always an excellent choice. My buddy and I are on a budget and the cost is our biggest factor. The last few years he has made the purchase and we found that we can get a lot of bag stuff to get all of our sites filled. So that is what we have stuck with over the last several years. If I were able to get TR at a discount or on sale I would surely throw one out at each site.

Griz
02-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Trophy Rocks are always an excellent choice. My buddy and I are on a budget and the cost is our biggest factor. The last few years he has made the purchase and we found that we can get a lot of bag stuff to get all of our sites filled. So that is what we have stuck with over the last several years. If I were able to get TR at a discount or on sale I would surely throw one out at each site.

I've had good luck with TR other than it take a while for them to find it in a new spot. I would't mind saving some money either. Does the loose stuff last as long?

Big_Holla
02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
I would say if you don't have a dished out spot for it runoff can carry it away. We try to find a stump or log and place it over it and on the uphill side of it. Also when you make the site it's best to loosen up the soil and mix the mineral in. Once deer start working the minerals, just like a TR, a dished out area usually forms and it helps keep them in place more. The stump/log also will absorb some of the mineral/salt/etc. and help keep them busy in between when you freshen the site up.

To get deer to come to a new site or even a site that you just freshened we always use shelled corn. Yep, you'll feed the squirrels and many other critters but corn is just the best thing IMO to get them coming. There are also other products out there that will help with getting them attracted to your site. Monster RAXX has a few different spray attractants that are supposed to work real well. I have a bottle of their Apple Harvest that I intended to use on that site, however I let it freeze and I couldn't even get it to pour out. Probably could use a few fresh apples and mash them on trees or cut up on your mineral to get them to notice them faster.

Griz
02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Thaks for the info Big_Holla.