PDA

View Full Version : pile of ead deer

mrbb
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
OK here in PA I see now that our state game dept, has decided to put out a live cam over a pile of dead deer, to show what all eats them, its now in a like a slide show, but pretty cool ?? to see the bobcats and other critters eating on the deer
if anyone cares to look here is the link

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pgc/9106

mrbb
02-22-2013, 09:57 PM
sorry guys that was supposed to read DEAD deer, not EAD deer??

Griz
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm not quite sure what I think of that pile of deer. Thats another story. But I wonder why there were no coyotes? I would of thought they would be all over it.

mrbb
02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
well I am not surprised about the NO coyoyes, I have grown up near many so called road kill pits the state keeps, and over the yrs, it very very odd to ever see a coyote near them
or at least in winter time, I see them there once the weather gets warm and they start to really stink
about the time the bears come out
and to be honest, they seem to wait for a bear to come and drag one away from the rest, and then eat on that one after the bear moves off
to me I think coyotes think these piles are traps and avoid them unless starving!

I know over the yrs I have tried to put out a road killed deer with a camera over it, and I get the same thing, no coyotes till its been there for months ??
but find it funny, as if a deer gets shot or a winter kill on its own, they get right on it??
never really got why, but its ben my experience to date?
there smart critters, maybe they know something we don't??

Griz
02-25-2013, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=mrbb;150848]well I am not surprised about the NO coyoyes, I have grown up near many so called road kill pits the state keeps, and over the yrs, it very very odd to ever see a coyote near them
or at least in winter time, I see them there once the weather gets warm and they start to really stink
about the time the bears come out
and to be honest, they seem to wait for a bear to come and drag one away from the rest, and then eat on that one after the bear moves off

When I was trapping coyotes they were the hardest to fool. Most of the time it was the scent you left behind that made them skidish. I started laying a plastic matt down before I made the set. And if possible I kneeled behind the set when it was made. If they smell a human, they go on alert. So maybe? a human dragging a deer puts scent on it. And they stay away. A road kill or unfound deer has no human scent. What they know, is that humans are there only predator.