PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid farm cart Deer Cart

Z7Mcclain92
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
I have been thinking of buying one of these to use for a deer cart, they seem pretty big they hold up to 7 1/2 cubic feet,20" tires, and holds up to 300 pounds. Possibly even Shortening the legs behind the wheel to give it more ground clearance for logs. Just curious to see what others think

Big_Holla
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
It looks like it might work great! Are they designed to be pushed more than pulled though? Your comment about shortening the legs got me thinking it might be tough to pull through brush. One thing we use up in Mich. and off the beaten path in Ohio is a big sled. Doesn't matter if there is snow or not, it makes pulling deer through the woods pretty easy. Putting it in the back of the truck with a deer in it can also be done by one person, provided it's not the 300 lb giant LOL!

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/100_5797.jpg

mrbb
02-21-2013, 12:05 AM
well not saying it won't work, but they already sell deer carts that are pretty light weight and cheap, that are proven to work, and that looks pretty big to me, as for taking any place like on a trip, would sure fill up the back of a truck, and to haul into the woods, would stick out
where as a deer cart is made to fold up , and can be locked to a tree pretty easy too
something that big to me looks like it should have a hitch on it to be pulled by a ATV or likes
and it seems like a more private land deal, and then again, just an ATV would do in many places that would go?
although an ATV is sure to cost a lot more
one advantage maybe with it is it can be used a lot more for other things about the house so? maybe more bang for the buck??

but if you get one let us all know how it works out!

Z7Mcclain92
02-21-2013, 12:36 AM
It looks like it might work great! Are they designed to be pushed more than pulled though? Your comment about shortening the legs got me thinking it might be tough to pull through brush. One thing we use up in Mich. and off the beaten path in Ohio is a big sled. Doesn't matter if there is snow or not, it makes pulling deer through the woods pretty easy. Putting it in the back of the truck with a deer in it can also be done by one person, provided it's not the 300 lb giant LOL!

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/100_5797.jpg

Yea I agree I never really thought on the whole pushing part of it, and the legs do concern me a lot about getting caught up. Im still debating on what to get I have been looking at the sleds but not to sure how much easier it is, I do like how most of the blood stays in the sled, since I drive a Jeep cherokee. Just tired of dragging deer

Z7Mcclain92
02-21-2013, 12:43 AM
well not saying it won't work, but they already sell deer carts that are pretty light weight and cheap, that are proven to work, and that looks pretty big to me, as for taking any place like on a trip, would sure fill up the back of a truck, and to haul into the woods, would stick out
where as a deer cart is made to fold up , and can be locked to a tree pretty easy too
something that big to me looks like it should have a hitch on it to be pulled by a ATV or likes
and it seems like a more private land deal, and then again, just an ATV would do in many places that would go?
although an ATV is sure to cost a lot more
one advantage maybe with it is it can be used a lot more for other things about the house so? maybe more bang for the buck??

but if you get one let us all know how it works out!

Yea the size part was a concern but I have a roof rack on my jeep to put it up on, Im still looking at the folding carts and sleds, I dont have an atv but my jeep is lifted and 4x4 lol so I can almost drive to the deer in some spots, Im just wanting something for when Im deep in the woods on public land, think I might just go with the sportsmansguide $54 dollar deer cart.

Griz
02-21-2013, 07:52 AM
. Just tired of dragging deer

Man!! I wish I had that problem. lol

Seriously, I am adding a deer cart to my list from last years, when I hunted se ohio. I could see were it would be a great help if you need to get an animal out that was back in deep. An I think the deer cart is the way to go. Happy hunting.

Big_Holla
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a deer cart as well and I would rather drag a deer out with the sled than it any day. If you get in any soft ground at all you will understand why. One evening I killed 2 deer (up in Mich.) and I put one on my cart while my buddy put one in his sled. He kept laughing at me as I kept trying to balance the load and keep it from tipping. We had about 400 yards across a winter wheat field. Ended up pulling a muscle in my groin through that fiasco and all he could do was laugh! If your trek takes you down a 2 track or established trail the cart will work better though.

mrbb
02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
well I have dragged a lot of deer out of the woods, from a few yards to several miles over the yrs, never used any cart or sled, just a good rope and a harness
I am sure anything can be a plus in some ways, and a down in others
I personally never seen the need for any of the carts or sleds to be honest
I will admit that last few yrs I have used my ATv 99% of the time, so am sure spoiled on that now!
But I come from a long line of large tract forest hunters, in my hunting cabin, were next to about 30,000 acres of forest, and for the last 30+ yrs, we have tried a lot of things, on logging roads the carts wored best as long as like Big Holla said, ground wasn't all muddy or super soft
sleds have helped and been a night mare in areas with a lot of down timber, along with the carts too
so to be honest, most of us there just don't use any at all, some have tried the plastic rolled up sleds you tie to the deer to kinda make a sled out of, it helps in snow some, but all the strings get caught on stich and brush
best method we have at camp is a cart to the nearest road if ground allows, and we use the carts with the double wheels too, and or just a rope and a harness and the old fashon way of muscle and work, we carry radio's, and get help at times , that is the best if you ask me, help, two people work the best but ain't always an option
as for FAR back hunts, there is a reason NO one in teh west drags a deer/elk
its a ton easier to quarter and carry!
so if hunting really far back, that I think is the honest best way to get a deer out!, and quartering a deer isn't really hard either!