PDA

View Full Version : Food plots and Hinge cutting

JMax510
02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
I just bought a property that borders mine and it and it has this little grass field on it that I plan to do a fall food plot in. I hauled in a bunch of pellatized lime to spread on it. the only way to access it is by going thru this tunnel underneath the highway that splits my properties. The deer really use the tunnel and it makes for a good pinch point.

After liming I decided to do some hinge cutting. My bedding area/ sanctuary is starting to get too much overhead canopy and the deer have browsed what did grow over the summer down. I cut alot of trees down and some were pretty big. I felt bad sawing them down but I kept telling myself other than today I never step foot in that 20 acres so I won't miss them.

I wish I had more free time for land improvements but I work too much. Today was the first time I was home during daylight in the last 3 weeks. Another project I plan to do is plant pine seedlings along one of the roads that borders my property.

Griz
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
deer actually go threw that tunnel? Don't get me wrong, I believe yah. Thats cool, put up a trail camera. That would be some good pics.

JMax510
03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
stuck a camera up. Insane amount of deer go thru the tunnel10086

Griz
03-12-2013, 07:56 AM
stuck a camera up. Insane amount of deer go thru the tunnel10086

Now thats about as good as a funnel that you will ever find.

Big_Holla
03-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Boy, missed this post somehow!! Always great to see what others are doing to improve their property!! That tunnel/culvert is pretty awesome in the fact that they actually DO use it like that! My thinking would be not to hunt too close to it as they could abandon something like that quickly if they think it's a death trap. Love the little field, could really see bucks hanging out in something like that!! I am the same way when it comes to cutting trees JMax510, kinda makes you wonder if you're throwing money away but at the same time you KNOW it will benefit the deer. When we are able to down on our farm that is my intention to go into a couple areas and hinge cut a few trees just to get that canopy down and put something on the ground instead of wide open woods.

Excellent post!!

mrbb
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
cool pic's
here we have tons of tunnels going under the new hi ways they built in the past 15-20 yrs, seperating many of the local deer normal patterns
and there not big enough to drive a tractor through, ATv sure, the deer took right to them from day one
over the yrs I have seen bears use them to hybernate too, typically much smaller one's but they will go in about anything if they fit!
I would be keeping a camera over that all the time, just way cool pic's , plus a great way to keep tabs on what deer are in the area, talk about a pinch point travel route LOl

JMax510
07-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Big buck like the tunnel too!1022110222

00buck
07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
how do you turn over your plots i am using a walk behind tiller how deep do i need to go with it

mrbb
07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
An inch or so is all that is needed for most seeds, many can just sit on top of dirt and grow, but best to cover them with some if you can

00buck
07-28-2013, 11:39 PM
well i posted this on the wrong thread but thanks for your answer mrbb gonna get soil test tuesday and maybe i can start it by the weekend

mrbb
07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Well sounds good, take some before and after and as it grow piv's
there fun to share and see it produce for you

00buck
07-29-2013, 11:42 PM
no problem and how and where do i send my soil sample to

mrbb
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
There are many places, from local and stae conservation centers, to many seed companys
from my ecperience, Bio logic's seed company is the cheapest, and fastest
they will e mail, hard mail, you the results, or both too!
just go to there web site, and print out a applacation, and mail it to them
when doing tge soil sample
make sure to get a lot of samples from all over the site, and be careful not to take dirt too close to the metal /next to the shovel
and do not mix in a metal bucket, as it can alter the results
many county Ag offices will do testing for you too, and you can ask your local farmers who does there's

Stickbowcrafter
09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Great pics! Keep us posted.

-Brian