PDA

View Full Version : ODNR Deer season proposals

Bushman
02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Ohio Wildlife Council to Consider New Deer Muzzleloader Season, Extended Hunting Hours and Bag Limit Proposals

COLUMBUS, OH – An October antlerless-only white-tailed deer muzzleloader hunting season, extended hunting hours and new bag limits were proposed to the Ohio Wildlife Council on Wednesday, Feb. 6, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

The proposed antlerless-only muzzleloader hunting season would be Oct. 12-13 and scheduled for the second weekend of October in subsequent years. The proposal includes making the October muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only, regardless of the method of take, and eliminating both the bonus gun weekend in December and the early muzzleloader season at three public hunting areas (Salt Fork Wildlife Area, Shawnee State Forest and Wildcat Hollow).

Hunting hours are proposed to be extended 30 minutes past sunset for all deer firearms seasons, including the weeklong deer-gun season, youth season and muzzleloader seasons. This will make the hours the same as archery season.

County bag limits are proposed to replace deer zones. Proposed bag limits will be two, three or four deer, determined by county. The proposed statewide bag limit is nine deer with additional controlled hunt opportunities, which do not count against the statewide bag limit. The nine deer bag limit is reduced from last season’s 18 deer limit.

It is also proposed that antlerless permits will only be valid until the Sunday before the deer-gun season. Urban deer zones would be eliminated. Hunters may harvest only one buck in Ohio, regardless of the method of take or location.

Proposed deer bag limits, from the following counties combined:
• One either-sex permit, one antlerless permit (eight counties): Darke, Erie, Fayette, Hancock, Madison, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood.
• Two either-sex permits, one antlerless permit (23 counties): Auglaize, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Gallia, Harrison, Henry, Hocking, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Logan, Meigs, Mercer, Miami, Monroe, Montgomery, Perry, Preble, Ross, Shelby, Van Wert and Washington.
• Three either-sex permits, one antlerless permit (57 counties): Adams, Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Clinton, Columbiana, Coshocton, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Defiance, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Fulton, Geauga, Greene, Guernsey, Hamilton, Hardin, Highland, Holmes, Huron, Knox, Lake, Licking, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Paulding, Pickaway, Pike, Portage, Putnam, Richland, Scioto, Seneca, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton, Warren, Wayne, Williams and Wyandot.

Proposed seasons for 2013-2014:
• Deer archery: Sept. 28, 2013 - Feb. 2, 2014.
• Deer antlerless muzzleloader: Oct. 12-13, 2013.
• Youth deer gun: Nov. 16-17, 2013.
• Deer gun: Dec. 2-8, 2013.
• Deer muzzleloader: Jan. 4-7, 2014.

The start of fall turkey hunting season is proposed to be moved to the Monday following the antlerless deer muzzleloader season. The proposed fall turkey hunting season is Oct. 14 - Dec. 1, 2013. Butler, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Hamilton, Huron, Seneca and Warren counties are proposed to be added to the existing list of counties open for fall turkey hunting, which would bring the total to 56 counties.

Deer and fall wild turkey permits would go on sale June 1, instead of March 1.

Changes in hunting regulations are proposed by ODNR Division of Wildlife biologists and wildlife management staff. These proposed changes, if approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council, will take effect for the 2013-2014 hunting seasons. Open houses will be held statewide March 2 for public input on the proposals, and public comments are welcome online at wildohio.com. After receiving public input, the Ohio Wildlife Council will vote at its April 17 meeting.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.com.

Big_Holla
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Glad you put this up Bushman, was on my to-do list all day!! I will say one thing, a muzzleloader antlerless season in October will mess things up for bowhunting the rest of the season! Up here in Mich. we have an early antlerless season BEFORE bow season starts and since they have done this it has sent the deer into hiding, turning them nocturnal for the rest of Fall. At least the older, smarter deer.

Also the deer zones being changed to a county by county basis kind of gives me the feeling they are looking to change over to a similar antlerless management like Michigan as well. Here they do it county by county and for the most part you had to purchase antlerless tags for the county you wanted to hunt in. Different county required you to purchase another tag! Only the last couple of years have they modified that in the S. Lower Peninsula. Sure set's it up to be able to do it that way that's for sure!!

mrbb
02-08-2013, 06:58 PM
also see that they did away with the second deer gun season too?
I also agree with early gun.muzzleloader seasons,
it sends deer into nocturnal modes
or sure does here
but to be honest
with heavy poaching here, s soon as velvet comes off, most deer here go nocturnal
making more and more deer going nocturnal, and seems to be making deer that stay that way all yr too!

rednecklb69
02-09-2013, 06:34 AM
I was hoping to see a change in the law saying we cant have something miunted to our bow that shoots a laser. I would love to have the leupold vendetta mounted up to range as im drawn back.

Bushman
02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I dont agree either with the early muzz season. Will educate the deer right before the rut kicks in. Also, id like to see better regs for public lands where deer numbers have been declining big time.

ManOfTheFall
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
I like that the later weekend gun season is eliminated. I don't like the early muzzle loader season. The only good thing about it is it can still be very warm and it is antlerless only. This may help to keep the numbers of those getting out there those two days down a bit. The other thing I don't like is if I only hunt in my county, (Tuscarawas), I have to buy three tags at full price and only one anterless tag at $15 for the cheaper price. This is where I think the state is making a big mistake. Most of the people helping to get the herd to where it should be are bow hunters and they just really hit us in the wallet again. Why not let us have three antlerless tags at the $15 rate and then one either sex tag at full price. I would like that much better.

PlayTheWindMike
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I do not agree with this. I am only using my common sense here and some of you have already witnessed it. The early mzzle season will not be good for the bow hunters pre-....and rut. Not good...not good at all

Big_Holla
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I do not agree with this. I am only using my common sense here and some of you have already witnessed it. The early mzzle season will not be good for the bow hunters pre-....and rut. Not good...not good at all

Couldn't agree more PTWM! Up here in Michigan the early doe season is almost a week before bow season gets in. None of us hunt hard during that early doe season (a one weekend wonder so to speak), yet the deer immediately start changing their patterns and soon fields that were filled with deer all summer long (hours before dark) sit empty or just at dark a deer or two will pop up. It's like night and day from 5 years ago. If Ohio is including state land in this, good luck the rest of the bow season for those who hunt there. Of course I could be wrong....

ajupsman
02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
I've only been hunting in Ohio for two years but isn't the proposed youth gun season a week earlier than usual? I was under the impression it was always the weekend before Thanksgiving but this year it's two weekends before.

Big_Holla
02-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I've only been hunting in Ohio for two years but isn't the proposed youth gun season a week earlier than usual? I was under the impression it was always the weekend before Thanksgiving but this year it's two weekends before.

Hmm, good call ajupsman! Didn't pay attention to that!

ajupsman
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I was planning on coming out for two weeks this year that youth weekend falls right in the middle of my trip. I don't think it's a good thing to be hunting public land the first 3 or 4 days after a gun weekend. Even if its only the youth weekend. I may have to go a week earlier than I expected.

blackbeard
02-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Youth season is not being changed, always two weeks prior to gun. I HATE the rule change allowing early muzzleloader in October. Below is the comment I sent to ODNR.

I encourage ODNR not to move a firearms season into October. While I realize bowhunters in Ohio have one of the longest seasons in the nation, I believe moving a firearms season into October will negatively impact buck movement in October and November. My buck sightings after gun season until the end of the season (Feb) are much lower than prior to gun season and I fear that will happen in the remainder of October and November if a firearms season is moved to October. Please do not mess with bowseason prior to gunseason. Do anything you want AFTER gun season, make the entire months of December and January muzzleloader seasons if you want, just don't move any firearms seasons to before Thanksgiving.

PlayTheWindMike
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
I have hunted the public lands....Wayne....during the youth season and if you get far enough back in off the roads you will be ok. Not too many dads take their sons hunting then walk up and over too many valleys......they don't want to deter their kids to not like hunting cause of too much walking. Get deep in on Public is all I am saying

nomad_archer
02-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I have hunted the public lands....Wayne....during the youth season and if you get far enough back in off the roads you will be ok. Not too many dads take their sons hunting then walk up and over too many valleys......they don't want to deter their kids to not like hunting cause of too much walking. Get deep in on Public is all I am saying

My old man missed that memo.... although there wasnt youth seasons except for tree rats when I was learning to hunt. But he would walk so much small game hunting I couldnt pick my legs up to get in the truck. But those days are long gone. I miss small game hunting but with everyone I small game hunted with archery hunting... I dont think that will change. Sorry nothing much else to add but I dont like the muzzy season in october. They do that here in PA and its really tough to see deer on public land after that.

blackbeard
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I figured there would be more opinions about the deer proposals than this. Anyone else?

Seeker Bp
02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I think a gun season before Thanksgiving is a terrible Idea. Leave well enough alone!! I agree with Blackbeard on this one, he pretty much hit it on the head!

SSpengSS
02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm with blackbeard on this one...would hate to see an october gun season.

blackbeard
02-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Yeah I'm afraid this is really going to screw things up. I'd like to know who all the bow hunters are that odnr says are for it, 46% or something like that.

blackbeard
02-14-2013, 01:47 AM
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=S5XUPmzN71s%3d&tabid=24075

And I hope if you're bowhunting during the proposed Muzzleloader season in oct a really nice buck doesn't walk in front of you because this reads as though it is antlerless only even for bowhunters. This is just stupid.

Big_Holla
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Are you frigging kidding me?! That's just asinine!! Now they have taken away one weekend of bowhunting. I actually contemplated trying to make that a must hunt weekend just to make sure people weren't running deer on the property. Of course many might just say they killed their buck on that Monday....

SSpengSS
02-14-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=S5XUPmzN71s%3d&tabid=24075

And I hope if you're bowhunting during the proposed Muzzleloader season in oct a really nice buck doesn't walk in front of you because this reads as though it is antlerless only even for bowhunters. This is just stupid.

It amazes me how administrations overlook common sense solutions in coming up with proposals and then passing them. This puts a bowhunter at an almost insurmountable disadvantage to hunt and harvest mature bucks.

I understand, appreciate, and accept that every hunter has the right to hunt with whatever legal weapon they choose, and harvest a deer using any legal hunting tactic, but where is the fairness and even-playing field for the general majority of hunters in this solution?

If the ODNR really wants to see doe numbers decline, they should implement the requirement that a doe or two does must be harvested prior to a buck being legally harvested, rather than creating earlier firearm seasons. One year of this type of requirement would make a significant impact.

This solves more than a few problems.

1. Fairness in respect to levels of difficulty in harvesting/hunting deer. In my opinion the correct order would be:
1). Bowhunters
2). Disabled & Youth (why not allow this group the opportunity to harvest with firearm at anytime during deer season with special tags and specific requirements)
3). Muzzleloaders
4). Shotguns

2. Requiring a hunter to harvest a doe first will inherently increase the amount of venison that is donated to programs like Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry.

3. Requiring a hunter to harvest a doe first will inherently increase the number of mature bucks that are available for harvest/will survive the hunting season, thus improving heard health from a buck/doe ratio level.

4). Let's be honest that this would also increase the revenue that the ODNR would take in since more antlerless tags would need to be purchased because of a doe harvest requirement.

Obviously, as with all things, you will never make everyone happy, but I believe the ideas that I have outlined would encompass enough fairness, opportunity, and common sense for all hunters...as well as serving the specific goals the ODNR has set, and be successful.

Thoughts?

mrbb
02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
well I personally think bow hunters have a bigger advantage over most gun seasons, with being able to hunt first, and on more paternable deer
our biggest issue is range, and today, there are many folks shooting bows at 50+ yrds, where actually most gun killed deer are shot at about 70 yrds, so not a HUGE advantage there,
yes I get the having not to draw, and a second shot and bla bla bla, I get it, not really the same for sure, but not that huge a deal anymore!
as we get to hunt less conditioned deer, than gun hunters so that levels off in my eyes a lot!
plus bow hunters have a ton more time to get it done without heards of hunters trampling all over the woods
I am not a big fan of the early gun seasons due to how it changed deer patterns,thus making my hunting harder!
but in all honestly
its maybe better for the deer
think about it
the sooner you kill deer in early season, it leaves more food about for later on come winer for the remaining deer, it would also or it
SHOULD help create a harder rut due to lesser amounts of doe, meaning more bucks on there feet looking
, sadly most will be at night(due to the gun fire/added pressure)
BUT still , many bucks will be on there feet in daylight looking for does if there is less of them sooner than later!
I am not saying this is great for hunters
but I do see some plus sides for the deer herd
and being both a gun hunter and a bow hunter, and a muzzleloader hunter
I cannot say its right to say bow hunters being effected is a rightous reason to not allow
we bow hunters have a ton more time to hunt
allowing us so many more chances than anyother season , so??
I say be happy with having such a long season as is
so few states have that now!

mrbb
02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
It amazes me how administrations overlook common sense solutions in coming up with proposals and then passing them. This puts a bowhunter at an almost insurmountable disadvantage to hunt and harvest mature bucks.

I understand, appreciate, and accept that every hunter has the right to hunt with whatever legal weapon they choose, and harvest a deer using any legal hunting tactic, but where is the fairness and even-playing field for the general majority of hunters in this solution?

If the ODNR really wants to see doe numbers decline, they should implement the requirement that a doe or two does must be harvested prior to a buck being legally harvested, rather than creating earlier firearm seasons. One year of this type of requirement would make a significant impact.

This solves more than a few problems.

1. Fairness in respect to levels of difficulty in harvesting/hunting deer. In my opinion the correct order would be:
1). Bowhunters
2). Disabled & Youth (why not allow this group the opportunity to harvest with firearm at anytime during deer season with special tags and specific requirements)
3). Muzzleloaders
4). Shotguns

2. Requiring a hunter to harvest a doe first will inherently increase the amount of venison that is donated to programs like Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry.

3. Requiring a hunter to harvest a doe first will inherently increase the number of mature bucks that are available for harvest/will survive the hunting season, thus improving heard health from a buck/doe ratio level.

4). Let's be honest that this would also increase the revenue that the ODNR would take in since more antlerless tags would need to be purchased because of a doe harvest requirement.

Obviously, as with all things, you will never make everyone happy, but I believe the ideas that I have outlined would encompass enough fairness, opportunity, and common sense for all hunters...as well as serving the specific goals the ODNR has set, and be successful.

Thoughts?

hey I like the concept of having to kill a doe before a buck, BUT, since so many folks in many places feel we are killing too many deer/doe in many places, I think forcing a person to kill a doe, to thus kill a buck, might lead to a lot more deer getting killed
plus how many button bucks will be killed just trying to get to shoot a buck
I know many many hunters that don't shoot doe at all, and only buck hunt
these are guys that kill very nice bucks every yr(meaning very experienced hunters that Choose not to shoot doe)
and how many out of staters come and only shoot a buck
getting all these types to start killing doe, could really dent the herd and all the more so on public lands!)
this is just a second side to this set up,
not saying again its a bad idea, just some con's to it
as you asked!

Griz
02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I was planning on coming out for two weeks this year that youth weekend falls right in the middle of my trip. I don't think it's a good thing to be hunting public land the first 3 or 4 days after a gun weekend. Even if its only the youth weekend. I may have to go a week earlier than I expected.

AJ how yah doing? I hunted an pulled stands on the morning of the 1st day of youth season last Nov. I saw no one. We drove by a few public land places and saw no vehicles and no orange in the woods. I'm not sure if it would concern me or not. It may be different in your area?

ManOfTheFall
02-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Why shouldn't the bow hunters be given a special consideration. I would say in most cases bow hunters put more time in all aspects of deer hunting. I would also say overall bow hunters are more conscious of the health of the deer herd. Bow hunters, even though there are less of us than there are gun hunters, as a whole we are the ones concerned about the buck to doe ratio and I'm sure most of us are more than happy to take out our fair share of does. So, what does the ODNR do? They want to only allow us one antlerless tag at the discounted rate, and they want to throw in a 2 day early muzzle loader season for does right before the hunting really starts to get good. Talk about cutting off the hand that feeds you. That is what they are doing.

skeeter
02-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Sorry out of state guys, but the amount of land being leased up by out of state hunters is becoming ridiculous. I know of fellow hunters losing hunting ground every year to out of state hunters leasing the ground for outrageous amount of money. Increasing the fees for nonresidents will benefit the budget and free up some private land for residents. Although I hate the idea, I think MRBB is right about the early muzzleloader season benefiting the herd

MICH
02-15-2013, 10:28 PM
nonresidents hunters will be coming to ohio in waves this year, ehd was killing deer by the 1000's up here in mich,but NR bring 2 things, $ & QDM,we dont go to another state to shoot a 11/2 buck..... i would think locals would like that and nobody complains about me being from mich. when they are taking my 20's......leasing stinks for everyone, i was lucky enough to buy land, but NR will flock to ohio this fall..........earn a buck isn't the best way, ask the guys from wisconson, i think control bycounty is the best way

Whitetail Freak
02-16-2013, 12:13 AM
I myself dont think early muzz is a good idea and i sure dont like me holding a bow n have to pass a buck in range i hunt public land and it mite b the only buck i c all year this really sucks i hope they reconsider leave it the way it was mu oppion

Nis
02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
I realize the proposed muzzleloader season is short but it pisses me off that you can't harvest an antlered deer that weekend. I honestly probably won't hunt it because I know that's the only time I'll see a huge buck and not being able to shoot it will kill me.

00buck
02-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I dont like the thought of having an early muzzle loader season at all where can we voice our opinions to the odnr on this? I have enough problems seeing mature deer anyways

blackbeard
02-19-2013, 12:38 AM
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/LawSubhome/ProposedRuleChanges/RuleChangeProposal_Comments/tabid/24039/Default.aspx

Submit your comments here, the more the better but they probably already have their mind made up.

whodey1966
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I submitted mine last week with no response. I thought I would at least get some kind of generic thank you for your response email. I also think it's a done deal too! It's all about them making money, not what's best for the deer herd!

Griz
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I submitted mine last week with no response. I thought I would at least get some kind of generic thank you for your response email. I also think it's a done deal too! It's all about them making money, not what's best for the deer herd!

Unfortunatly its the same way here in NH. Money talks, they couldn't care less about the resource or the person buying the license. We have a meeting every year in Concord and it just a pasivfier for the people who care. none of our suggestion come true. Our deer herd has been hurt beyond repair because they won't make tough dissisions. From what I have read the Ohio herd has been declining a little in the past few years. Another gun season make sence? I don't think so. I agree its all about making money. All hunters can do is let the DNR know how you feel. I'm an out of stater so I'm sure they don't care what I have to say but I will email them anyways.

MQ1
02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I tell ya , it was rough enough this season around here and i can hardly wait till the up and coming season this is terrible . Not a good thing at all!

blackbeard
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I'd say done deal but I encourage all you bowhunters to speak out against it.

blackbeard
03-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Go here to a summary of comments submitted. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=24225

I guess the muzzle loading season in October is gonna happen. Stupid in my opinion.