PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ohio Scouting Public Land...Just waking you guys up lol

PlayTheWindMike
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I went to meet up with some buds for some ice fishing on some public land a couple of weekends ago and also check the area for future deer hunting. WOW this area is amazing and it is public. I will definitely be here next fall for a bow hunt or two. When I went into the surrounding woods there were so many signs and the feeling of the deer that is possibly in this area was great. I left my phone back at the camp on the lake so I couldn't get the rubs and stuff I saw but I will go back. Just for the warmth comfort of your home here is a pic of some bass we caught. a couple or so was pushin 3 lbs

You can see the woods in the background. This is a hidden lake. Can't see it from the road. Some local boys down there deep in the woods are showing me some GREAT places for fishing and hunting. Gods country

This is 1/4 inch short of a 16 inch crappie

Big_Holla
02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Nice job!! Sounds like you found a honey hole for both fishing and whitetails!!

PlayTheWindMike
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Nice job!! Sounds like you found a honey hole for both fishing and whitetails!!

Yea. I will be more prepared next season when all the people start posting "Where can I go for public hunting" I told a couple of people this last season but they would not listen. It is like they want me to go out there and walk them down the valley and point at a tree and say, there hang your stand in that tree lol. Not any of the regulars but guys who have come and gone

wvbownut
02-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Man those are some good looking fish!! What would you say is the best public spot to start looking at?

Bushman
02-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow nice fish, and with the deer sign you said youve found sounds like a honey hole. Sadly, ive found such places are the exception not the rule w ohio public land. Most of the ones ive been on are getting more and more overrun w people/hunters and deer numbers have really dropped. Gl and enjoy your new spot!

PlayTheWindMike
02-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Man those are some good looking fish!! What would you say is the best public spot to start looking at?

Let me say this last season I am going with guys who live down there but if I had to stand back and say how would I have found this without them.......Some spots are out of this world....one night I went down in a valley hung a stand right where they told me to and right before dark, I heard deer up the valley several times get up and move out of the valley...I coulda killed several does but I was looking for a buck. I would have to say there were app 30 plus deer bedded in that valley....I was extremely quiet. They are everywhere down there. Here is my advice. Look all through out Wayne National forrest. Look at topographies. Find those little dust looking roads off of the main roads. We did that one day and Wildlife from this site was one of the group....He went way off the road set up a stand and a little before dark he let an arrow fly at a buck he claims was monster material....bigger than anything on his wall and I believe he has 170 plus on his walls. They are out there. Pack some food. Take all your stuff you will need and get deep off the trail. Just have a phone in case you need to haul one of these out. We have been way back in there where it gives you earie feelings about monster bucks or sasquash watching you :) Start looking at some tops east of Logan first.

wvbownut
02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advise I'm going to take a weekend and start looking around.

Griz
02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Well Mike I second that. Public land big woods hunting in that area is the best I've ever seen. If your fit, don't mind hiking in the dark, and don't care about how far your drag will be. Give it a try, you will be surprised.

PlayTheWindMike
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Well Mike I second that. Public land big woods hunting in that area is the best I've ever seen. If your fit, don't mind hiking in the dark, and don't care about how far your drag will be. Give it a try, you will be surprised.

Yea Griz it's not that difficult if you trust your instincts and yes east of Logan and go a few miles at that point southeast from there anywhere is great. Next season I will be down there. I am not against working with people.

Griz
02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Yea Griz it's not that difficult if you trust your instincts and yes east of Logan and go a few miles at that point southeast from there anywhere is great. Next season I will be down there. I am not against working with people.

I've already rented a cabin in the area for the 1st week in Nov. Can't wait !! I'm also not against working with other people. It's just as much fun even when other guys are succesfull.

PlayTheWindMike
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I've already rented a cabin in the area for the 1st week in Nov. Can't wait !! I'm also not against working with other people. It's just as much fun even when other guys are succesfull.

Maybe we could hook up down there. We usually have a good group of guys.....all local living down there in the hollars....they know every piece of land down there and they do some nice drives as well.....gun season

blackbeard
02-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Sounds like u found a good spot, good luck next season.