PDA

View Full Version : Hunting by the Barometric Pressure.

Seeker Bp
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Here is a question that was thrown at me.......What is your most important tool for deciding a good hunting day in the woods? A long time ago, an old timer told me to watch the barometric pressure very close. His key number was hit the woods if it is between 30.20 and 30.30 inchs. Since being told about this, its a staple of my hunting steps before heading out. Have done little research on these theories, but have found that deer movement seems to be much better when it is sitting on those numbers.. Northeast and Northwest winds bring the highest peaks in the barometric pressure. was curious to see if anyone else uses this as a hunting tool, and has anyone researched this issue much?

Cheif
01-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Here is a question that was thrown at me.......What is your most important tool for deciding a good hunting day in the woods? A long time ago, an old timer told me to watch the barometric pressure very close. His key number was hit the woods if it is between 30.20 and 30.30 inchs. Since being told about this, its a staple of my hunting steps before heading out. Have done little research on these theories, but have found that deer movement seems to be much better when it is sitting on those numbers.. Northeast and Northwest winds bring the highest peaks in the barometric pressure. was curious to see if anyone else uses this as a hunting tool, and has anyone researched this issue much?

how much does barometric pressure change when a cold front is coming through. i have heard that its good to be out right before a cold front comes through. but somehow deer know when a cold front is getting ready to come through. not sure if there is much correlation between the two.

Whitetail Freak
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
i will be watching this closely id like to know more and any info yall have to share

Cheif
01-27-2013, 09:33 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2011/10/how-barometric-pressure-affects-deer

Griz
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2011/10/how-barometric-pressure-affects-deer

good article, with easy to understand info. Thanks

PlayTheWindMike
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok after reading what Seeker says here and reading the article Cheif posted I took a moment, sat back and reviewed this last deer season. I had a few nice and a couple of Big bucks around my area/stand, low and behold all of my hunts but one this year are true to what you are saying Seeker. Thank you thank you thank you....I am going to use this for sure in the future. The only time my one hunt this year was different from what you are saying is right dead smack in the rut when a buck was 10 yards behind a doe in the bottom of some thick stuff. He was ready to jump on her as I flung my arrow, which missed lol....but I don't think at this time anything woulda stopped this buck from following the ready doe. This is a very cool post dude....I like it and am going to utilize this next season

Whitetail Freak
01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Seeker wasn't it I who asked you about the barometric pressure and how to read it ? any who whop ever asked you this ? iam sure glade ya brought it to the forum lot of good info outta this 1 , is there a way to find the barometric pressure for the next day ? or the next several days ?

Seeker Bp
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
The Barometer changes pretty frequently....The place I go and check everything is called (weatherforyou.com) Have it in my favorites and use it often.

blackbeard
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
I haven't ever hunted just because the BP was a certain number but I do make it a point to be in the woods before and after fronts which I believe probably coincide with your BP range above. But this is something I need to read about more because with two small boys it is even more important to hunt when you got the best chance at killing something. Good topic.

Stonegod
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
This is a very interesting thread, it's amazing how the pressure affects movement. The graph is the same one as above but I don't know how to edit it out.LOL

Big_Holla
01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
That's a great addition to this post Chief! Thank you!

From the link Chief posted:

There is a sweet spot within the pressure scale that I have found and it seems to be at 30.20 to 30.30. There will also be a difference in sightings depending on if the pressure is rising or falling. Rising pressure right before its peak is best.

Well I'll be damned, Seeker must know what he's talking about!! I, like others, have only really watched what fronts are moving in and making sure I was out before a cold front moved thru. My hunting is really based on weekends and the occasional planned hunt so I rarely can come home and decide if it's time to hunt. However, there are times when I may decide to come in for lunch and plan to go out later in the afternoon where keeping an eye on the barometer may play a big factor in sitting all day. Very good stuff here Seeker!! BTW, I downloaded a free app from The Weather Channel that shows the barometric pressure for your location. A lot of those out there cost $$ and it's nice to get one that doesn't!! For example, my area I hunt near Albany right now has a barometric pressure of 30.06 baby!! :coolgleamA:

PlayTheWindMike
01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Seeker for President