PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show harrisburg PA, closed for this yr!!

mrbb
01-24-2013, 06:36 PM
OK don't know how many folks from Ohio go to this show, but it was the largest sportsman show oin the USA
and this is the first time its not happened in like 30+ yrs or so
ths was a show I enjoyed going to every yr, and was a huge economic deal for the town that held it
a shame its been closed , but I agree with the reasons so many pulled out to cause the close
maybe it will help keep some gun laws by effecting so many that used to enjoy the show??
here is a link with the statement from the show runner??

http://www.easternsportshow.com/

Griz
01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Reading Reeds Exhibition's statement reminds me of the White House's press room making a statement to (cya) by making up a bunch of lies. Example: Reeds says because of there decision a small percentage of the exhibitors were effected. So thats why the show was canceled? It effected almost all of them. Why didn't Reeds Exhibition rethink their decision when everyone was pulling out. It is America, not Great Britain. It is good that everyone stuck together, but BAD that all those exhibitors and the area will loose money.

I don't understand why someone like Cabelas, the Potterfields or the like take this thing over and still have it happen? This way we still have a show, people still make money and the (you know what) to Reed Exhibitons!!

Last but not least, I know this is a bow hunting site and there doesn't seem to be alot of interest in this subject. It does effect us all and this is a small battle of many more to come. I hope we all keep are selfs educated on the subject and be willing to do what is nessesary to keep our freedom.

mrbb
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
its funny, as this company really doesn't have a problem with guns or assualt weapons mroe or less
they are the same company that ran the SHOT show out in Vegas just a few days ago, where even class III weapons wee on display?
its just plain stupid

and well maybe it was just a few vendors that actually had SO called assualt weapons products at the show
shouldn't matter, and to be honest
if it was just a small percentage of them there
then to me that would be even more of a reason for them to not care they were there !!
as you would think there biggest concern should have been with the larger percentage of people/vendors
they ruined a TON of income for so many vendrs doing this, its a shame

all of them that had airfare or already left in traveling
I hope this company gets sued for closing the show too!
Local news here are estimating a loss of revenue for the area at close to 50+ million
thats a huge hit to an area in this aconimic times, all the more so on one that so many counted on to make ends meet
after all this was a 30+ yrly show??

Seeker Bp
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I really believe that the way it was handled was pretty appropriate...I mean by this: Money was actually put on the back burner, To the Sportsmen of America, The Constitution and the Second Ammendment were more important than Money. That right there gives me a glimmer of hope for our society! I really hate to see any area get hurt economically, but this was a very important stance against infringement to the Constitution.

hortontoter
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Cabelas and other large retailers pulling out were the ones that nailed the lid on the coffin. Reed, IMO had no choice, but to cancel the show. The main exibitors were the ones standing up for gun owners rights (along with protecting their profits).

Mike F
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
I really believe that the way it was handled was pretty appropriate...I mean by this: Money was actually put on the back burner, To the Sportsmen of America, The Constitution and the Second Ammendment were more important than Money. That right there gives me a glimmer of hope for our society! I really hate to see any area get hurt economically, but this was a very important stance against infringement to the Constitution.

Very well said.

Griz
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Cabelas and other large retailers pulling out were the ones that nailed the lid on the coffin. Reed, IMO had no choice, but to cancel the show. The main exibitors were the ones standing up for gun owners rights (along with protecting their profits).

Reed had a choice. Let the show run the way it always had. No one would of pulled out. As far as profits, what are they in business for? Everyone has there own opinion , I respect that and this is mine.

hortontoter
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
But, how could Reed put on a show when many of the large exhibitors were not showing up. I have no issue with a business making a profit. Facts are that many of the exhibitors pulled out long before Reed canceled.

Griz
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
But, how could Reed put on a show when many of the large exhibitors were not showing up. I have no issue with a business making a profit. Facts are that many of the exhibitors pulled out long before Reed canceled.

I can't say for sure but I would think that behind the scenes Cabelas and others were trying to get Reed to change its mind. The only way the exhibitors could get there attention was to pull out. I have been following this pretty close on the web. And as I said before Reed is a British base company. With an office in Conn. Britains have no guns! Maybe I'm reading between the lines but its clear to me they had an agenda. As Mrbb said they also run the shot show in Vagas. They picked a place they thought would work but didn't. I'm hoping the shot show is looking right now for someone else to manage it for next year. That would sure make a statement. Reed has no place in this country if they want to take our 2nd amendment rights away.
It would be great if a company as large as Cabelas (that can absorb the loss a lot easyer than the smaller companys) would take the bull by the horn and keep the show going without Reed. Its just a thought.
This is a good discussion and it would be great if other members voiced there opinion. We all can learn from it.

mrbb
01-25-2013, 06:26 PM
hey like I said, I agree 100% with the folks pulling out, just feel bad for the folks that counted on this show to make a living or ends meet
ton's of small guys just starting up took out booths in this show with high hopes of making it
and I am sure many many vendors booked there airfare long in advance and will now be taking the hit on that, as well as other travel expence's
I hope they can sue for that back, further sticking it to the Reed company!
I am sure this major closing says a loud mesage to others running outdoor shows from here on out too!

and I think if the SHOT show folks don't use someone eleenext yr its a dam shame!!
us gun owners really need to stick together ow more than ever if you ask me
everyne needs to be a NRA member now more than ever too
and its a shame so many folks that own guns are not memebers
the NRA is the main reason we still have guns, like em or not, thats a fact!!