PDA

View Full Version : Should I be using a call right now??

Cheif
01-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I dont believe that the area that I am hunting has really had alot of hunters in the area pretty much after the second weekend of gun season. Is it a good idea to use a soft doe grunt every once in a while to try to draw something in that maybe close. Or should I stick to the stay quiet and suprise them method.

Big_Holla
01-21-2013, 04:10 PM
I would say you are getting down to the wire so if being silent hasn't been working you may as well give it a try!!

Cheif
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I would say you are getting down to the wire so if being silent hasn't been working you may as well give it a try!!
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Ill be going out tommorow. I am hoping this really cold air will get them up and moving thoughout the day. We will see what happens???

mrbb
01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
well I too think trying cannot hurt, BUT<
I also think deer now are on about as high alert as ever, and if they hear BUT DON"T see something, it might hang them up
I would think a decoy over a bait right now might be the way to go
as if other deer see a new comer on there food it might make them come in more agressive and not pay as much attention to you!
thats what I'd be trying if I could hunt over bait this time of yr!

Cheif
01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
well I too think trying cannot hurt, BUT<
I also think deer now are on about as high alert as ever, and if they hear BUT DON"T see something, it might hang them up
I would think a decoy over a bait right now might be the way to go
as if other deer see a new comer on there food it might make them come in more agressive and not pay as much attention to you!
thats what I'd be trying if I could hunt over bait this time of yr!
Mrbb not cntradicting what your saying, I am just asking an honest question because I really dont know any better at this point. But if the deer are not pressured. the area is surrounded by private property. Are they still on high alert?? ill be out tommorow in this cold weather how much do they let down their guard to get to the food source.

mrbb
01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I personally think the answer is YES
at this time of yr, food is scarse, cover is not like other times of yr, and preditors are on the hunt, as well due to lack of food
even after hunting/gun season, in most places deer live, they change to a more high alert, just cause well, its a learned behavior some what I think
NOW if you own a HUGE tract of land, and have 100% contorl over it
maybe deer wouldn't feel pressure at all, and if you control perditors, and provide lots of food 365 days a hr 24 hrs a day
you would have deer that don't ever learn to fear preditor, be them wild critters or people,
or have to find food, Then MAYBE they will act the same all yr long

BUt few of us have such luck to have that
SO again in most places where wild deer live, by this time of yr, they have been shot at, hunted, chases out of bedding area's, food is becoming harder to find , and preditors are I believe at the highest rate ever in numbers

so, YUP, I think deer are on high alert all over this time of yr!
and I am not trying to be a smart ass, just giving my opinion, hoping it helps!

Z7Mcclain92
01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I agree with mrbb, I personally rarely ever call, during the rut I might rattle once an hour but thats it the only time I use a call is when I see a deer or hear them,But I also mostly hunt public land where I expect deer to hear calls all the time, all season long.

Cheif
01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
I personally think the answer is YES
at this time of yr, food is scarse, cover is not like other times of yr, and preditors are on the hunt, as well due to lack of food
even after hunting/gun season, in most places deer live, they change to a more high alert, just cause well, its a learned behavior some what I think
NOW if you own a HUGE tract of land, and have 100% contorl over it
maybe deer wouldn't feel pressure at all, and if you control perditors, and provide lots of food 365 days a hr 24 hrs a day
you would have deer that don't ever learn to fear preditor, be them wild critters or people,
or have to find food, Then MAYBE they will act the same all yr long

BUt few of us have such luck to have that
SO again in most places where wild deer live, by this time of yr, they have been shot at, hunted, chases out of bedding area's, food is becoming harder to find , and preditors are I believe at the highest rate ever in numbers

so, YUP, I think deer are on high alert all over this time of yr!
and I am not trying to be a smart ass, just giving my opinion, hoping it helps!

Your opinion is very much appreciated. Like I said many times before this is my first year bow hunting, so I tend to ask a lot of questions so that I can better prepare myself when its needed. It makes sense what you are saying. Thanks!!

mrbb
01-21-2013, 08:06 PM
hey no problem, I'm glad to help if I can
winter is a hard time of yr on most animals, thus making them more alert
even if no people perssure is about!
I also think scent carries farther too, and add missing cover
thats also a reason I think most prefer to move at night this time of yr!

PlayTheWindMike
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
I will be going out this weekend and yes I will take my doe call with me. I don't believe it would hurt. My practice is not to use it until the last few minutes or so of the hunt. It helped me bring in a late 8 pointer which is on my wall at this time :) good luck

Bushman
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Didnt see a thing tues. Sat for 3 hrs till dark. Starting to think the best call right now is Booty.