PDA

View Full Version : Top Bow Recommendations for 2013

Big_Holla
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
OK, I am in the market for a new bow this Spring and wanted to get some ideas for bows to try before I make my purchase. Currently I am shooting a Mathews Q2 (I know...an oldie but goodie!) and enjoy the lack of recoil and reduced sound from the single cam. I am not set on a single cam bow though as I know many manufacturers have made incredible advances since my last bow purchase. Help me out if you can!!

140class
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
We can suggest alot of bows but, it's all gonna depend on what feels good in the hand and the pocket book so be prepared for that.Best answer for this is go to the pro shop and shoot as many as you can.

Mike F
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
OK, I am in the market for a new bow this Spring and wanted to get some ideas for bows to try before I make my purchase. Currently I am shooting a Mathews Q2 (I know...an oldie but goodie!) and enjoy the lack of recoil and reduced sound from the single cam. I am not set on a single cam bow though as I know many manufacturers have made incredible advances since my last bow purchase. Help me out if you can!!

Oldie for sure. Goodie?????? lol There are so many good ones out there. Like Rob said, just got to get out and start shooting different ones. I am really sold on the 2 track binary cams. Loads and loads of speed with no hand shock, and quiet.

Big_Holla
01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
We can suggest alot of bows but, it's all gonna depend on what feels good in the hand and the pocket book so be prepared for that.Best answer for this is go to the pro shop and shoot as many as you can.

Yep I know that it will boil down to feel and that's what will ultimately be my final decision.........let's say if money wasn't an object, what would you guys recommend?!?! I have to try something so.....what bow's should I search for to try?!?!

Griz
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
I shoot a Hoyt, and have for the last 7 yrs. Last yr I wanted a new bow and went to my pro shot. I've had a relationship with them for over 10yrs. My interest was in a Mathews, and I shot two and I shot a Bowtech. The guy helping me had a smile on his face and said, so you don't like any of them? He was right, I didn't. I then shot a new Hoyt and fell in love. He explained that if you have shot the same bow for a long time you get use to the feel and the name brand. He said most of the time guys will gravitate back to the same manufacture. He did not say any one of them were any better. Its just how the bow feels in your hands. As you know if the bow is set up right, its not the bow its the guy holding the bow that makes the difference.
After reading my comments big-holla, I don't think I helped you any at all.lol!! It should be fun looking, enjoy it.

Big_Holla
01-19-2013, 08:22 AM
No that helps Griz!! I am open to any brand, make, model, etc.. What I am hoping for is a list I can go searching for. Biggest thing I don't want is to get something and half the members tell me I should have tried this or that bow. Keep 'em coming!!

SKO
01-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Went through a slew of them and landed on hoyt. There is a heck of a deal on a hoyt vector 32 on AT Right now for 500. Thats a darn good bow and with cam 1 1/2's you get some tuning flexibility and can tweek the draw length for a perfect fit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Seeker Bp
01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
You can shoot my Elite Answer at winter camp Chuck..

Big_Holla
01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
OK so far I have:

Mathews: any
Hoyt: Vector
Elite: Answer

rednecklb69
01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Find a mathews dxt.

Mike F
01-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Any of the Obsession line.
Shot them all at the ATA show.
Can't go wrong with the Elite Answer either.

MICH
01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
check out strothers, up & comer, i shoot math. 6.5 reazon as do 3 other buddies, none of us like the new math. or z7 bows, i think bowtech, hoyt & pse are on top now, cannt go wrong with a new one after how many years b.h.????

Big_Holla
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Find a mathews dxt.

I shot one probably 4-5 years ago when they first came out (maybe longer!! LOL!) and I absolutely loved it!

Any of the Obsession line.
Shot them all at the ATA show.
Can't go wrong with the Elite Answer either.

Will certainly keep those in mind now Mike!! Thanks!

check out strothers, up & comer, i shoot math. 6.5 reazon as do 3 other buddies, none of us like the new math. or z7 bows, i think bowtech, hoyt & pse are on top now, cannt go wrong with a new one after how many years b.h.????

LOL well this summer the bow will be 14 years old MICH. I still love to shoot it but after seeing my buddy with his new bow (Mathews Z7) I felt it was time for an upgrade. Since work has finally turned around I thought I would take advantage of the times. Interesting you guys didn't like the new Z7's.

tpjeep
02-03-2013, 08:12 PM
I shoot an Athen's, which I really like, Think your best bet is to shoot as many as you can, and let it pick you, goodluck, there are a lot of awesome bows out there

Whitetail Freak
02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Big try a pse

ajupsman
03-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Check out the Prime bows by G5. I've heard enough good stuff I sold my Hoyt Carbon Matrix and am replacing it with a Prime Defy.

Big_Holla
03-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys for the updates! Planning on going to the Bowhunting Super Show in Cleveland this weekend and hopefully shooting every bow I can!! Ajupsman the Prime bows are high up on my MUST try list and they will be there this weekend as well.

Stonegod
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Are any of you guys planning on meeting up at the show?......if so what day/time?

Big_Holla
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Seeker mentioned meeting up before so we will have to try to finalize a plan or something. The family and I will be there on Saturday. Going to drive down and spend the day there.

longdraw
03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I am getting a Hoyt Spyder here soon,never had a Hoyt ,but you hear more good than bad

Big_Holla
03-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks Longdraw, was wondering if anyone even shot Hoyt any more! About the only one's you hear of lately is staff, and I sure don't mean me! LOL

mrbb
03-05-2013, 12:06 AM
well a little late here, but I simply say, buy the bow that fits you best, all the makers these days make some great bows
speeds are all up there on high end bows, but tons get there by very low brace lengths
and to me the shorter they get the more form come into play, smaller upp's in form make bigger misses on short brace bows

and something else I come to find with the one's i played with
they like to slap your arm a lot more if your form is off, and or just wearing heavier cloths like when hunting in cold temps
just something to think about maybe
but I say your idea of shooting as many as you can is the best idea
see what feels like the bow for you! and not get caught up in name brand and speed hype!

longdraw
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Here is the specs of the bow I am looking at

SPYDER 34 LONG DRAW

34 ½” AXLE-TO-AXLE

340 FPS(ATA)

7 ½” BRACE HEIGHT

Big_Holla
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Damn, well they don't call ya Longdraw for nothing!! Sooo what kind of arrows you shoot.....drilling pipe off of oil rigs?!?! Daaang!

Big_Holla
04-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Still looking for recommendations for this Spring. So far I have a few more brands I intend to try. Hopefully there are several models that fit me close enough to actually be able to shoot.

These are the brands in my MUST TRY LIST:
Strother
Hoyt
Mathews & even Mission
Elite (again....me likey!)
Obsession (if I can find nearby)

NChunternOHIO
04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
I have had good luck with Martin Bows since 1998, I have a Rytera Alien X but now Martin has come out with a Rytera line in Bows. I suggest the new Alien. Easy bow to shoot again its what feels good in your hand. Just my 2cent......:302:

Big_Holla
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the input NCHNO! I have a few more honey-do's and soon I'll be giving as many as I can a try.

Big_Holla
04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Well my search is over!! I ended up giving a few more a try tonight and ended up putting one in layaway!! I decided on the Mathews Creed!! I just couldn't believe how smooth it was and how it felt so good to shoot!! Now all I have to do is work my ass off to pay it off and bring it home!!

mrbb
04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
well congrats bih Holla, on the new bow! won't be long and be trying to break it in! just a short 6 months away Lol