PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlas

Miller
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Hey guys i need some advice... Im planning a trip for november ( i know a lil early... But i like to do my homework) and was wondering whats the best atlas to buy that will show small rural roads aswell as highways? If it even exists or what two would you reccomend to show the same roads...

Thanks in advance,

Brian Miller

Whitetail Freak
01-15-2013, 09:56 PM
i'd use google earth if ya zoom in ya can see the road names n co road # 's hope this helps

mrbb
01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
delorme maps, by the stae are the best I have even seen
the new one's have GPS cooridnates on them
and there great to have on hand, as cell service is not alway able, and never have to worry about batteries going bad
they are very usefull on planning a hunt, I have used them for YRS, on all my out of state trips
priceless if you ask me when going on a far off trip

next best thing is to print out some maps of areas you plan to hunt, can do that very easy these days too
can do topo, aerial or street

last, I have a garmin street pilot protable GPS driving direction device, bought it at cabela's for like 99 bucks
and when I was out in SD and ND, it was the one thing that saved my trip, or made it so much easier
as all the side roads out there had zero street signs or even names to them, yet on my map and this GPS it listed names for every road, even all the dirt roads
I asked a local mail man out there about the names of roads, and even he didn't know them, as said most locals never bothered to knwo the names as for yrs they never had any??
so only way I could really tell where I was was suing both things
these maps show most public hunting areas too,
so there a great tool to have
NOW many smart Phone have this stuff you can access, BUT only if you have sevice, and many places I go have ZERO service so I always have them on hand when I travel far!

here is a link for the maps

http://www.cabelas.com/maps-compasses-delorme-state-topographic-atlas.shtml

Seeker Bp
01-16-2013, 05:59 AM
The Red covered Gazetteer from Delorme is tops on my list. It shows about everything as far as roads, closed roads, old airports and such. GPS friendly and easy to use. Topo maps are also handy! Good Luck next Season!

Big_Holla
01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
:iamwithstupid:

Seeker Bp
01-16-2013, 08:55 AM
LOL....you crack me up Big!!

hortontoter
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Delorme Gazetteer is a great aid. I always carry one on road trips. My wife always asks if I remembered the "squiggly book" when we hit the Ohio backroads.

Hey, Seeker, why the Red cover? I have one I've had for years but it has the old green cover. How are these used in conjunction with a GPS?

Seeker Bp
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Hey Toter, I believe the covers change as the books are updated... I have several blue covered and red covered gazetteers. Have never seen the green covers.

To aid in using GPS positional data,each map in the Gazetteers include tick marks along the margins showing longitude and latitude at one minute intervals. Lines extend through the maps at five minute intervals to form a grid and are labeled in both conventional and decimal forms. The tick marks and grid lines represent the world geodetic system (WGS84) Datum. Hope that helps.

mrbb
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Also, they used to be in Yellow too
I have some of all 3 colors
the newest one's have actually GPS corridinates on many things
so you can tie taht into your hand held one's and match up as you go,
Like the one's for say Wyoming , and big out west places
many have GPS corridinates marked on the maps in wilderness area's, like warming huts and look out or just more remote spots that get acessed a lot
so you can find things faster if you know what/how to use them!

Also, not so much in Ohio
but in many of the western states
you can get snowmobile trail maps, they have great details and they have Gps marks all over them too
as much of the huntable lands out there in winter , become open to snowmobilers, and most folks out there don't just ride trails, so they have marks all over the wilderness areas for GPS corridnates

so they too can be a great tool to have when planning a trip out west, many folks don't know about
and most maps are free too!

PlayTheWindMike
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
How old are you if you have a red cover? :bigear:

Miller
01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Well guys i guess its unanimous... Delorme it is. Thanks for all the help...

Brian