PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned from this season you will apply to next year 's season ?

Whitetail Freak
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Well with the Ohio bow season winding down do you have any new tip's or tactic's you will apply to next year's season ?

1 thing i learned this year is don't over look the little brush pile in the middle of the field that's no bigger than a round bail it cost me a shot at a doe this year when i jumped her from it while trying to sneak in the back door to a small woodlot to place my climber where i knew deer were staging before dark to go out to the field's to feed , i over looked it as a spot to small to hide a deer and never glassed it before walking within 40yrds of it and she blew outta there quicker than a rat on crack .

What can ya'll pass on ? .....Freak

mrbb
01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
well I learned I have a big issue with people shooting at the der in my area
this si about the 6th yr in a row, all the deer killed off my farm, have had bullets in them???

and also, that the purple top turnips I planted are not as big a draw as I hoped they would be
so next yr will be doing something else , or just more of a mix of things!
and last I want to add a few more treestands to some area's the deer seems to be using more than in yrs past!

Seeker Bp
01-16-2013, 05:54 AM
I guess the biggest thing is that I need to carry more food in my hunting pack!! LOL

Whitetail Freak
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I guess the biggest thing is that I need to carry more food in my hunting pack!! LOL

lmao thats funny

Whitetail Freak
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Another thing i learned this year i learned from Seeker bp when i took him to killbuck swamp to bowhunt

I need to invest in a pair of boot blankets for bow hunting in the late season man a cold stand takes the warmth outta ur feet in no time even with 1.000gr of thinsulate in em

Thankyou seeker to learning me that , now just gotta round the funds to get em lol

radicalxl
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I learned that deciding not to hunt this year and staying warm by the fire was more comfortable and alot easier on this old body. But I also learned it was alot harder on the soul.

Big_Holla
01-17-2013, 08:37 AM
One good lesson is to expect the big boy to walk where you never thought he would from your stand, the other....always check your peep before you draw. I hunted my Millennium ladder stand down in the Big Holla one morning by sneaking all the way in by walking the creek from the house all the way there. Absolutely love the spot. I only planned to hunt the stand on a wind out of the SW or W because the back side was up against the steep side of the Big Holla and my scent would carry up and over. Figured that by doing this deer would be forced to be out in front of me either traveling N/S or coming off of the sanctuary to my West. Another testament to smoking up when I looked N after hearing a branch snap and I spotted a big 10 working his way along the edge of the Big Holla, coming in my direction and directly through my scent stream. I thought there was no way this buck would continue in my direction as it only got steeper behind me. Well, he sure did and my best shot was between the tree I was in and another right next to me. Well, I turned the wrong way and was instantly caught with my safety strap in the way as he passed at less than 20 yards. I had to let him continue heading S so I drew my bow to ready for the quartering away shot at less than 30 yards. I saw my best chance slip through my fingers as I came to full draw....that's when I noticed my peep sight was completely sideways, a distraction that let the buck slip away. With the new strings these days the idea of the peep not 'being there' are gone....or so I thought. Live and learn and remember the basics of bowhunting!

hortontoter
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
I learned that deciding not to hunt this year and staying warm by the fire was more comfortable and alot easier on this old body. But I also learned it was alot harder on the soul.

The decision to hunt again next season is one I struggle with sometimes too. Seems every year things get harder to do than they were the year prior. I've even discussed the issue with my wife a few times. The same question pops into my mind though. What will I do the rest of my life? I've never found anything else in life that drives me the way hunting does, whether it be deer, waterfowl, varmints or anything else. The need/desire to hunt is somthing I feel I can't walk away from.

I did learn that the Magnum Scrape Dripper did somewhat work, but simply peeing in a scrape gave equal to or better results.

I did find that the .410 got me back into gun hunting, which I missed more than I realized.

I learned more about deer movement on my property that I will hopefully use to my advantage next season.

I proved again that getting a shooter buck on film is much easier than getting him in the bed of my pickup.

I could go on and on.

So my best tip is if you need advice on how to get a big buck, don't ask Hortontoter!!

Whitetail Freak
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
good things gentleman lets keep em coming

Cheif
01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
This was my first year bow hunting. I learned that I have a new hobby for the rest of my life now. This is one of the most intense and exciting things that I have ever done. I guess the biggest things that I will take with me is, Wind direction, scent control, and basically just the flow of the season and the different behaviors that deer express during different times of the year. Pre rut- Rut- Post Rut- Gun Season- Late Season patterns. Its been an experience to the say the least.

Whitetail Freak
01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Cheif ....glade to see ya have a new hobbie its very addictive i myself have whitetail disorder lol thank you for sharing ur tips you have learned

ManOfTheFall
01-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Seeing that I messed up my one and only chance at a shooter this year, I would have to say never under estimate the size of a buck until you can clearly see him. I thought this was a 2 1/2 maybe 3 1/2 year old deer because of his spread. Guessing 14" inside spread. So I didn't even give him a second look until he got in the clear 30 yards behind me. Once I saw how big this deer was I never even had a chance to draw on him and he was 8 yards broadside and I still couldn't draw because I had given up on him too soon. I estimated this buck would have scored between 150"-160".

Griz
01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
I learned not to 2nd guess your instincts. I was hunting and area (public land) that an old logging road system was the way you got back in to where I wanted to hunt. All of the other hunters were using these grown up rd/paths to do the same. On the way in the first time it was day light and I scouted to look for a location. At a cross rd/path I saw lots of tracks, a few scrapes, and a rub in the middle of the 4 way that was tore up. The area looked good but it was right on the path, thickets on both sides were to thick to get into with very few trees to choose from, the human traffic was high. So I rules it out and went on. I found a saddle and ridge that I liked about a mile in and hunted it for 5 days. I did notice on my way in an out that the scrapes were being hit on that path but couldn't make myself hang a stand. On day 6 things got slow at the saddle/ridge area and after running it threw my head a 100 times I decided to bring a stand and climbing sticks in the next morning and hang a stand in the only tree at the 4 way that would work. I would hunt it the following morning. When we were getting ready to leave that morning I told my hunting partner I was hunting the (stupid stand ) this morning. He just laughed. So now I'm in the stand thinking how many hunters are going to walk by me today. The number ended up being 7, not one of them saw me. But to my surprise I had two shooters walk by with one of them giving me a shot. If I hunt the same area next year I am going to give that location a good look. Also not one of the other hunters looked at the sign, they walk right by on a mission to get in deeper.

hortontoter
01-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Griz, I have found that these logging road intersections can be great places to hunt. Especially if the area around them is thick and brushy. The deer use these as major travel corridors because the surrounding areas are thick. So IMO not a "stupid stand" at all. I think many time we over think things and over look the obvious clues as to where we should hunt.

Whitetail Freak
01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
good tips guy's thank you good info keep it coming

Bushman
01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Why this was my first full year hunting Ohio. Was definitly a learning experience.
I learned to put more emphasis on bowhunting in order to see bigger bucks.
Opening day of gun on Egypt Valley public was downright scary!
I also learned to make yourself stay on stand and to not let your mind or hunger drive u from the woods. It got me my 130+ in. second day of gun.
The amish are their own army.
In most cases theres a big difference between deer numbers on public and private land.
Some people really dislike out of staters.
I learned hunting solo isnt half as fun as hunting with others but thats how it is for now.
I learned the deer in Ohio arent smarter than anywhere else... but they present a bigger target lol.

blackbeard
01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Let's see.....where do I start.

1. When you see a nice buck eating honeysuckle in an overgrown field and you have a perfect path and wind to ambush him, AFTER STALKING TOWARD HIM AND SEEING HIM COME AT A RIGHT ANGLE TOWARD YOU, DON'T KNEEL DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUSH HOGGED PATH AND GET BUSTED, GET OVER IN THE BRUSH AND BREAK UP YOUR OUTLINE.

2. Even though you know your bow is fine and you can hit where you want on the backyard target, KEEP PRACTICING THROUGHOUT THE SEASON AND ALWAYS REMEMBER TO BREETH, SQUEEZE, AND FOLLOW THROUGH.

3. When fence is built, a gate goes up 50 yards from your stand, and the stand site goes from being one of your best to just ok for a couple years, MOVE THE STAND SOMEWHERE ELSE.

4. Even though you think you know all of the best spots to hunt on all your properties, KEEP SCOUTING EVERY YEAR.

5. When you have a 1yr old boy and 3yr old boy at home, DROP YOUR BUCK STANDARDS.

6. When you have a nice buck chasing a doe under your stand during the rut, TRY A DIFFERENT SOUND OTHER THAN A MOUTH GRUNT TO GET HIM TO STOP.

7. LEARN TO DO A DECENT SNORT WHEEZE WITH YOUR MOUTH.

8. GET UP EARLIER.

That's all I have in me for now, they bring back too many bad memories :)!

radicalxl
01-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Even though I didn't hunt this year, these are some things to add that I have learned over the last several years. It is kinda aimed at the older bunch of guys. Maybe they will help you when you get to that point.

1. If your shooting skills seem to be lacking that shine that you used to have, don't always assume that it is an equipment or technique problem. Have your eyesight checked.

2. They ARE where you think their not. Don't waste time and energy covering ground in search of the ONE, your probably walking by him on your way there.

3. Hunting on the ground is just as effective as hunting from a tree, if done properly.

4. Being as physicly fit as possible is a benefit.

5. When the neighbor kids grow up and starting hunting their properties, it changes the patterns on the property you have hunted all your life. Change with it.

6. You ARE smarter than the animal your hunting. So for God's sake, outsmart them!

7. Wait for the perfect shot. Things are alot easier when you put that undeniable heart and double lung shot on them. No hard tracking, and alot less dragging.

Whitetail Freak
01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
ty you guys theres are all good tips , radical the post for the older guys was great good into in there thank you all for sharing

PREDATOR
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
One thing I learned this year, was to have fun again. This may sound strange, but too many times we get caught up in the chase to get a large buck. I usually take most of November off and hunt every minute of every day that I can and when I couldn't I was always wandering what I was missing. The hardest thing for me was for the last 10yrs or so I have to take my kids to school. No way around it. I never got in the woods til late morning. I love hunting the morning sits and it absolutely drove me crazy not being able to do it.

This year I didn't worry about it, I didn't drive like a crazy person to get to my stand, and if someone was already in my area, I just moved on. It was one of the best years of hunting I have had in a long time. I felt like a great pressure had been lifted off of my shoulders and I cant wait til next year.

Whitetail Freak
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
prtedator, i know what ya mean iam the same way with missing early mornings due to kids and school and i couldnt sit all eve having to be home in time to get them from school , just remember one day we will turn around and they will be married and have there own life's and will soon enough be able to sit all day long if we like , thank you for the tip i got caught up in big deer this year next year will b like you said hunting for fun n fillin the freezer

Griz
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
One thing I learned this year, was to have fun again. This may sound strange, but too many times we get caught up in the chase to get a large buck. I usually take most of November off and hunt every minute of every day that I can and when I couldn't I was always wandering what I was missing. The hardest thing for me was for the last 10yrs or so I have to take my kids to school. No way around it. I never got in the woods til late morning. I love hunting the morning sits and it absolutely drove me crazy not being able to do it.

This year I didn't worry about it, I didn't drive like a crazy person to get to my stand, and if someone was already in my area, I just moved on. It was one of the best years of hunting I have had in a long time. I felt like a great pressure had been lifted off of my shoulders and I cant wait til next year.

I sure do 2nd that predator. Its all about having fun. And what you do for your kids is worth it. One day they will be joining you on that early morning hunt. And your really will be having fun.

PlayTheWindMike
01-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I would have to say what I learned this year and will not do next year is drink PBR and eat Pickled eggs then go hunt the next morning.

Whitetail Freak
01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I would have to say what I learned this year and will not do next year is drink PBR and eat Pickled eggs then go hunt the next morning.

lmao thats funny rite there , he least ya have a wind checker for the day if ya forget you other one lol

quackaholic
01-31-2013, 04:01 AM
I relearned hunting in TN sucks. Sure hope to make it back up in the next season.

Mike F
01-31-2013, 05:04 AM
I relearned hunting in TN sucks. Sure hope to make it back up in the next season.

I figured you forgot where Ohio was, and your password to the site. How ya been Quack

Big_Holla
01-31-2013, 08:41 AM
I figured you forgot where Ohio was, and your password to the site. How ya been Quack

Same here! Great to see ya saying HI!!