PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you would do ??????

Whitetail Freak
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Its a sunny day in jan, you take your buddy and children to a lake to do sum late season fishing , you see a deer coming down the edge of the lake with 2 broken back legs walking on he knees and back legs dragging behind her from knees down, she enters the water to try to swim the 400plus yards across the lake your above her with a down ward angle and you have a ccw lic and your armed with a 40cal handgun stocked with hollow points???????

A.... do you shoot her to put her down n stop the suffering ?

B..... do you watch her swim off and drown?

C..... do you do nothing and go on about your day?

A friend asked me this ? this is a hypothetical ? and is just to see what ya would do if in that situation

mrbb
01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
well thats a tricky question and situation
I think its a hard call, even if the right thing to do is well known!

as some of them answers can get you in trouble, and not saying it couldn't be done, but from yrs of training shooters
not so many people with a handgun can make a one shot kill unless there standing over a deer, thus making a bad situation worse if many shots are needed or, just making a bigger scene!

My answer to that would be
do the right thing
since that could be illegal, I won't say if i have ever done it!

next best answer you didn't list is, to maybe catch her and call the game dept, and ask if you can either put her down, or hold her till they get there
I have done this before, some wardens will give permission over the phone to do it, some WON'T!
and will make a fuss if you do!
and last, since it is still archery season,( assuming it happened in this season) I would think it could be tagged as a kill if you could get someone with a tag to come do the job! again with a phone call and keeping tabs on the deer

BUT again, pending on the game warden, and how much of a fuss is made(if other see all or the likes), it can be a major problem
I know a state trooper here in PA that lost his job over a mercy killing, on a bear that had its both back legs broke in a car collision,
and was unable to move, but was making a ton of noise from being injured!
and the game dept here, went wild over him dispatching the animal without there permission
so the right thing to do can have major price tag some times

but there are options again, like I said not listed that can work well!

Whitetail Freak
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
mrbb .... thank you for your input i value all answers ........ i was just listing the answers i was given to see what other ppl would have done is all , i to agree the rite thing might have been the worst thing to do .

mrbb
01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
no problem, and I get this is a hypothetical deal, but was just listing some other options
as this type of thing does happen
I know over my yrs , I have seen like deals happen many times over the yrs
MORE with deer hit by cars and left on the side of the road still kicking
and again, not saying I have or haven't put them done
just saying its a GRAY area many times on what you can get away with, no matter right or wrong
its funny to me a little
as if a deer damages your property, car house what ever, most states say its not there problem or responsible for any damages as there not there deer, but wild animals
BUT if you try to kill one, all of a sudden them deer become there property and can claim any damages you do to them, and hold you to fines or more!
a one way street as long as they get paid I guess! them deer are all there's!

Whitetail Freak
01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Mrbb....... I 100% agree the grey areas aint fair to anyone human or animals

Stonegod
01-14-2013, 06:10 PM
I'd would do C

Griz
01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I think b & c are the same. A is the right thing to do, but is it worth you loosing your right to hunt or loose the right to carry? Also you have children with you that should not be exposed to that. Don't get me wrong, putting the animal down would be a teaching moment but having to keep it to themselfs and not telling is the problem. If you were alone and no one around, it would be between you and your maker. But as Mrbb said, try to catch her, and make a phone call, its the smart thing to do. Good thread!

Whitetail Freak
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
like is said guya this is just a ? i was asked this by a friend and i was baffled so i had to throw it on the board to get feed back is all , some good answers hear ty for yalls reply

radicalxl
01-15-2013, 06:37 AM
This has happened to me in a different setting. On my way to work one morning I saw a deer dragging itself off a hill near a field 150 yards from my house. It got into the field and obviously broke its back. I drove back to the house and called the game warden and went on to work. Came home that night and the deer was still alive in the same place. She had spun around in a circle all day and wore the hair on her off and the ground around her was all tore up. At that point I put her out of her misery and called the game warden again. He chewed me up one side and down the other on the phone and took another 2 hours too get there. Once he saw the condition of the animal he calmed down and nothing came of it. It was in the summer and season was out, but I would do it again if I was put in that situation.

Whitetail Freak
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Radicalxl thankyou for your reply i think i would have done the same thing if this happened to me ......Freak

Stonegod
01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Radicalxl thankyou for your reply......Freak

HEY!!!......what about my reply!lol

Whitetail Freak
01-15-2013, 04:14 PM
stonegod......thankyou for your reply also

Lord ToneKing
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Kill the deer right then and there

Enough tax dollars wasted already. Just kill the poor animal and put it out of it's misery

Whitetail Freak
01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Lord ToneKing........thankyou for your reply

Big_Holla
01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Well I would call the Humane Society of the United States....then PETA and ask them what I should do first......

Seriously, I believe I'd make the shot count to put it out of it's misery. No need in letting it suffer any more. And yes, I would testify to that in court if need be.

Whitetail Freak
01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
thankyou for the reply Big i think a lot of us would do this if in the situation

PlayTheWindMike
01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
I would put it down.

Whitetail Freak
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
thankyou for reply mike

PlayTheWindMike
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
thankyou for reply mike

You are most welcome.

Stonegod
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
It seems to me that choice A would be illegal......maybe the "right thing to do"......but nevertheless illegal. So I can only surmise that most of the guys posting on this thread would willingly break the law?

BowGuy2
01-22-2013, 03:22 AM
I would catch it and slit its throat if you seen it well befor it got in the water that would be my first action hell I'd then throw a tag on it and eat it. I don't think it's about breaking the law as much as it is seeing a deer suffer and kill its self that's not how a deer should go. Just my 2 cents.

Whitetail Freak
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
It seems to me that choice A would be illegal......maybe the "right thing to do"......but nevertheless illegal. So I can only surmise that most of the guys posting on this thread would willingly break the law?

Stonegod have you ever been speeding and be honest now ? Tell me whats the difference?

Whitetail Freak
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I would catch it and slit its throat if you seen it well befor it got in the water that would be my first action hell I'd then throw a tag on it and eat it. I don't think it's about breaking the law as much as it is seeing a deer suffer and kill its self that's not how a deer should go. Just my 2 cents.

Bowguy2 Some people were brought up like me and you and the other guys ya NEVER let an animal suffer if you can help it,
if i can end its suffering i will do so , some people just go on about there business and can sleep at nite , Me i couldn't sleep at night knowing i could have done something to stop it but just ignored it and let it die in pain i don't agree with that just my $0.2

BowGuy2
01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Ya if I was havin a tough season it would be like a blessing to finally get some deer in the freezer. Ben not having a bad year I'd still do all I can to not let it suffer its like this what if someone seen you dragging ur self down the highway and they just drove by looking and never stopped to help its kinda in the same scenario

Whitetail Freak
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Ya if I was havin a tough season it would be like a blessing to finally get some deer in the freezer. Ben not having a bad year I'd still do all I can to not let it suffer its like this what if someone seen you dragging ur self down the highway and they just drove by looking and never stopped to help its kinda in the same scenario

It ain't even about the meat its about doing the rite thing and what needs to be done at that time , I do c what your saying though boyguy2

Stonegod
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Stonegod have you ever been speeding and be honest now ? Tell me whats the difference?

What does speeding and Illegally killing a deer even remotely have to do with each other? That's not even a close comparison. I've seen dogs....cats...squirrels...coons...birds that where badly injured.....I don't shoot them either.

Stonegod
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Bowguy2 Some people were brought up like me and you and the other guys ya NEVER let an animal suffer if you can help it,
if i can end its suffering i will do so , some people just go on about there business and can sleep at nite , Me i couldn't sleep at night knowing i could have done something to stop it but just ignored it and let it die in pain i don't agree with that just my $0.2

How is "slitting it's throat".....not just adding to it's misery?

Seeker Bp
01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Been trying to stay out of this thread, just for this reason....I am finding that when opinions are asked, some people cant accept other opinions. I would not like to see anything suffer at any time, but it happens every day! Animal world and human alike, but there are rules to follow. Being that this is just a question of what you would do, thats where it should be left...One person will do something differant than another. Being in a State Park, the last thing I would do is pull out my pistol, that I can legally carry, and shoot a lame deer going across the lake.........If it did manage to swim across the lake without drowning itself, then there are numbers that you can call and it can be handled by the people who are hired to take care of those situations. I dont buy the issue that the Game wardens and Rangers dont care, or never show up. And if that is the case, there are other avenues to follow. I have made several mercy killings in my years of hunting, its got to be done sometime, but I cant believe I would take the shot in that particular situation.

Whitetail Freak
01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
good point seeker

mrbb
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
well Guys Like I said before, there is a lot of gray area in life
we have lots of laws we all I am sure of break at times that suits us, leaving the reasosns we come up with to maybe try ti justify the doing so!

be it a simple thing as going a few MPH's over the POSTED legal limit, which I do think a large percentage of folks do, and think nothing about it!, well till they get a fine, then its a bigger deal LOl
some things some times, can be more justified than others I guess
leaving me with like i said, there are many options that were not in the A B or C to pick from in this, WHAT IF ???

I would like to think most hunters and humans have a side for not wanting to see a critter suffer and would TRY to help solve that
some might do more than others
maybe its not really wrong to do so, BUT some times rules do get broken by us all!
don't think there is anyone on this site that some time in life hasn't broken a rule!!
I know I have over the yrs , like to think I do my best to not do so, but couldn't say I lived my life 100% following every rule/law ever made??
don't think that makes me a bad person or an outright OUTLAW
just to me, makes me a real person living in a not so perfect world!