PDA

View Full Version : I shot a strange deer....

alex2929
01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I shot a deer last night that I that I thought was a nice size doe. Turned out to be a buck that shed its antlers some time ago. It also is missing the "points" on its front hoofs. They are rounded off and broke off. The back hoofs also don't look normal and are broke or split out between the "toes". What would cause something like this? Doesn't appear to have been hit by a car.

mrbb
01-09-2013, 10:24 PM
how about some pictures??

as for shedding antlers, well this is about that time most start to drop them with some being a lot earlier, and some will hold them a LOT longer, so thats not odd really
as for hoofs, have to see what your 's looks like'
I have seen many that have had them broken that lived in very rocky area's
, and have seen a few that seemed like they grew and grew , like they didn't ever wear down from walking, like a horse's that doesn't get walked
there like a nail on people, if you don'r use them they grow and grow, as ??
have to see what they look like to give a better idea on what I know about them??
But congrats on a kill anyways

radicalxl
01-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Don't know for sure, but I would guess it would be a very old buck. This would be a good explaination on why the antlers dropped earlier. And the hoofs could be worn down from many years of travel. Just my opinion.

Big_Holla
01-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the deer could have had EHD this year and was slowly recovering from it. Pictures please!!

PlayTheWindMike
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Interesting. Pics yes would be nice if possible

alex2929
01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Will get pics up tomorrow. Do you think their is any reason to be concerned about eating it? I planned to butcher it tomorrow night and grind it in burger for jerky and soup meat.