PDA

View Full Version : filled a tag tonight bitter sweet

mrbb
01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
OK was out hunting tonight been looking for a big doe to take, as all the bucks I had plans to kill have been killed by others, or haven't sen any since early Oct, and the rest I have here I was just going to pass on and hope they make it till next yr
well that plan kinda went out the window this evening
got on stand at about 3 pm , was being real lazy parked my truck only 300 yrds away, as I am only after doe now
so not as worried as when buck hunting

I started to sneak into the food plot then gave up, and just walked right to the treestand
at 4;10 pm, a small button came out exactly where I entered the food plot, 90+ yrds from me,
and got on my tracks in the snow like a blood hound, and followed then right to my ladderstand like on a string, smelling each one
once he got to my ladder, its in a pine tree, and about half way up large branched grew out like an umbrella so looking up from the ladder he couldn't see me
he was there for a good 5-6 minutes smelling and trying to find me, when other deer started to show up from behind me
and I got lucky , as they distracted him, or think he would have busted me
next a small spiker came out and these too started to play like puppy's chasing each over all over
then a small 3 pointer came out, all at 25 yrd from, perfect, just need a doe now I was thinking, when out came this buck
a 11 pointer, a buck I have been watching for 3+ yrs now, always had a issue with a G 2 on his left side
I have tons of pictures, guess he will go about 130's
and HAD plans to let him go another yr
well tonight he came out just like the rest, and was limping??
so I was debating on if I should shoot him or not, I was trying to get a look to see what /why he was now limping
when all of a sudden the 3 smaller bucks started to run and snort
this guy froze up and went on high alert
I thought it was over
then I seen what the fuss was about, a red fox, was out about 50 yrds from them looking for mice
they fixed there sights on him, allowing me lots of time to look for a wound on the buck
couldn't'
t see one, abut he was for sure not all right, so I decided to kill him
he was at about 28 yrds and now quartering away rather sharply, a good way for a shot
I let the bolt/x bow, fly and seen the hit, got him on about the last rib on the right side, and it stuck in the ground and off he went, BUT not on a run, one big leap then a slower run
I could hear him go only about 50 yrds due to the snow and then all was quiet, then I thought I hear a crash, but wasn't positive
it was about 4;35 when I shot and still another 15+ minutes of light, and decided to wait a bit to go look

I waited 2 hrs to be on the safe side!
at the arrow, great sign, an arrow drenched in blood, and some good blood at the landing at the leap?
and then that was it??
Thank god there was snow is all I can say!
So,I just followed the tracks then, at about 80 yrds in and not a single drop of blood, I was starting to think, What the heck, and thinking about waiting till morning, but said I would go another 100 yrds first and then decide, and hoped to find some sign!
I got about 70 more yards and found a small drop of blood ?? that's it in about a 150 yrds so far!
again, not sure what to do , I pressed on and about 40 more yards he was laying there behind a big blow down tree, dead as a nail
this deer only dropped like 4 drops of blood after that first leap, not a drop came out his mouth either as you can see in the pic's
all in all he went about 200 yrds or so from the hit, it was a great it too, got the top of the heart and a lung and some of the other lung, yet zero blood to follow, I used a rage 2" crossbow head too! big hole in and out, just all that happened was the cavity filled like a bath tub, when I opened him up it was full of blood l

I got him to my buddies butcher shop and we skinned him, and found 2two,.22 caliber bullets in his rear
right quarter, and one OLD healed up in his left one?
this now make the 8 deer in a row I killed that had bullets in it, non fatal small caliber slugs!
my last buck had one right through his ear and one in his hind end too!

I know I have a problem with cheaters here big time,and it just sucks
this buck also had almost Zero body fat on him, never sen one that looked so healthy, have so little fat this time of yrs already!
which again I know I have too many deer in general, they just don't have enough to eat, so few get fat here anymore

I wanted to take some pic's of the wounds, but my camera battery died
but did get a couple before it died of the deer

I'm happy I killed him, but bitter sweet, as I also wanted to let him live, but think I made the right call based on the limp, and now know the bullets were there!

But here he is

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/20122013buck007_zps17e703db.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/20122013buck014_zpsc9e3a6bf.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/20122013buck021_zps2f66b08b.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/20122013buck023_zpsc5c61339.jpg

and a pic of him alive

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/1217122218_zpsd1cd330f.jpg

Lord ToneKing
01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Congrats on a very nice deer! I cant believe some a-hole is out shooting at a deer with a .22!

Btw, what kind of broadhead are you using? I used Muzzys for years but just shot a doe last night with a Rage and it looked like a murder crime scene with all the blood in the snow. I was really impressed! I might be making the switcheroo

mrbb
01-08-2013, 11:59 PM
I used a rage 2" cut crossbow head
and It made a hole just nothing came out!
never seen that before complete pass through too! arrow was covered, just didn't come out after wards
snow saved me for sure, but I still would have found this one due to where he fell

gonehunting 45
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Congrats on a very nice buck....outstanding

radicalxl
01-09-2013, 05:36 AM
Gotta love them late seson kills, congrats

Seeker Bp
01-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Nice Buck mrbb! Congrats!

frmrfred
01-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Nice job Mrbb! Glad to see someone still at it like myself and happy to see you get one. That is a great deer. Congrats!

hortontoter
01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Good lookin buck, Stan. You did the right thing and should feel good about it.

To bad the idiots shooting the .22 weren't caught in the act.

Griz
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Enjoyed the story and a nice buck. I would of had a tough time passing on him even if he was not limping. I envey you guys who still have a season. My ended on the 15th of Dec.

tim1676
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Nice story...glad you were able to recover him with little blood trail. Freakin poachers!!!

mrbb
01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Thnaks Guys
My local warden isn't much help
and its too Bad too
as almost everyone in this area knows what going on, its no secret
just no help to stop it here, been like this for a long time too
but what can you do?

PlayTheWindMike
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed that story. I believe you did the right thing. Last year my 12 had a 38 cal in his spine. Makes ya wonder. Nice story and nice buck. Congrats

nomad_archer
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
congrats thats a very nice buck.

Big_Holla
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Real nice buck with some great character mrbb!! Congrats on the kill and you did the right thing since some idiots made the choice for you by wounding him. Other than hearing he was wounded he sure looked healthy.

ghunter
01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
He is a nice looking deer congrats. Like others have said I can't believe someone is out there shooting them with a .22

Stonegod
01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Congrats on a great looking buck mrbb!!

ohiobuckhunter
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Congrats on a great late season buck

whodey1966
01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Great job! Nothing in my opinion, is more impressive then getting a deer this late in the season. Nice buck!

Toke2
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Nice Buck for sure.... but I could see how you wanted to give him another year.... he could have been a beast! You certainly made the right call by taking him. Congrats and thanks for sharing the story....

Whitetail Freak
01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
great buck congrads

mrbb
01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
well again thanks Guys
I am almost sure he might have made it another yr even with the bullets, as they were just in meat more or less and not any vitals, but just never know what infection or what can happen in time
and at the time I didn't know that ?? didn't see what the issue was till the hide came off!

so I'm glad to been able to harvest him, a great buck for my area, to be honest, 120 class bucks are far and few up this way, too many trigger happy folks that just want to eb able to say they killed a buck, even if it a yearling!
But sure would have really like to seen what he could have been, next yrif he made it,
but I think you feel that way any buck you shoot LOL, or I do anymore!

sad thing is I was out today and my best buck I know of still at the farm,
was limping tonight too ??
so its a like a WTH , dam cheaters are my biggest problem here!
Just sucks,
I'm hoping he makes it,
as he is the only 4 yr old I know of I have left this yr, nothing but two 3 yr olds left I know of now,
and all rest are younger bucks, a bunch of them, but all very far off from making it to what I would like!
and I started off this yr with my most 3.5 + yr olds ever too!, but seems they all didn't make it??

But Oh well, what can you do?

PREDATOR
01-11-2013, 06:11 PM
awesome deer. I have had two deer do just like you described. One never went out of sight, and the other I could track in the wet leaves. congratulations.

blackbeard
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
congrats Stan, glad to see you got one, and he's a nice one.

mrbb
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
thanks Guys