PDA

View Full Version : Missed a giant today

ohiobuckhunter
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Well me and a buddy of mine went to one of the farms i hunt this morning. I only have 1 stand on this property and it only got hunted out of 3 times this season. My buddy has never harvested a deer so I put him in my stand my plan was to sit on a slab wood pile until 9:30 then from 9:30 till 11:00 I would still hunt a thicket around my friends stand hoping to bump him his first deer. Once 11:00 rolled around my friend met me on the power line like we planed to have lunch. We had been sitting on a log on the edge of the power line for 10 minutes and not being quiet at all our muzzeloaders were leaning against a tree next to us. As we finished our sandwiches and beging to gear back up for the evening hunt I look across and up the power line at 60 yards here comes 6 does trotting across I spun to grab the muzzeloader and I as I turn back to the deer here came a wide tall and heavy 8 point at a slow run but coming strait for us. I shouldered the gun found him in my scope steadied the cross hairs and shot. I was totally confident I had hit him my buddy started yelling you got him you got him his muzzeloader still leaning against the tree. We searched for 3 hours without finding any blood. My friend had the time of his life and I believe he is now hooked on this wonderful lifestyle of ours I don't think he realizes how rare of an opportunity it is to see a buck of that size as for me I'm still sick over it and am sure I will be for some time

mrbb
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
well sounds like you had a great BAd day
missing sucks but its way better than wounding and not finding
so always be there for another day
keep at it and good luck
still time left!
and Yup a good day out with action does help get a person hooked on the sport

PlayTheWindMike
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
60 yards and missed with a muzzle loader vs me missing the monster 10 or 12 pt earlier this season with my bow at 20 yards...which is worse....both. I feel ya bro

hortontoter
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Seems like every time we think we can't possibly miss we do. Sorry to hear the monster was missed. Sometimes I wonder if we forget the fundamentals on the chip shots and just lose concentration.

Glad to hear your buddy is hooked.