PDA

View Full Version : Baiting with Corn

wvbownut
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I've been using corn over my cameras for a couple of years but it seems that most of the deer are eating at night. Anyone using something that brings them in during daylight hours?

rednecklb69
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Warm veggie pizza

mrbb
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
HAHAHAHA
no and I have tried everything known to man and animal
BUT I personally think its learned behavior
you see they learn its there at all hrs, and that its safest at night to move
I think using a timer feeder and only having it drop feed during day time hrs would help
but its just a way of most deer's lives anymore
unless you happen to be lucky enough to own enough land to limit pressure
and in places like that I see deer feeding all day
so its safety they worry about more than type of food if you ask me

something I know some folks do is move the bait site around some, like 50-75 yrds away every time you put more out, it makes them look for it more and then they claim helps them get deer out sooner as they have to find it and they compete to who finds it first!

but a timer I think is the easiest one to hunt over/near and maybe condition them to feed earlier!
on a different note here now in my back yard they only come to my feeder in day light! go figure all yr till now they only came at night!
don't hunt here just to watch them
but they show up like clock work at an hr before dark
so my camera says, haven't been here been out hunting so think all the guys that hunt near me are missing them too LOL

On a different note
a lot does depend on where you place the baot too I think
closer to there bedding area in cover might get them up sooner too if they feel safer there? but its hard to get in and out without them seeing you! and dioesn't take long for them to figure it out too!

wvbownut
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks mrbb I think the heavy pressure isn't helping either

mrbb
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
never really does, but some times you can use pressure to push them to you if you know where the people come in at!
I personally found the best way to hunt using bait is to set up a 100-200 yrds from it, and not over it
helps up the odds of a deer walking past in shooting hr's and helps a lot on keeping an area from making them smarter too
hunting over bait I think you get usted leaving far too often, and that only makes them come to it later and later into the night
getting in and out of a set up is very important if you ask me,as once deer know your hunting them, they get smarter and harder to kill!

ohiobuckhunter
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I agree with mrbb low pressure is key to daytime movement not the food source. I have 3 bait piles going now and only 1 of them are getting day pics this property is on the edge of the metro parks

Big_Holla
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Pressure is always a deciding factor and the pressure from hunting around the corn alone can cause them to go nocturnal. Deer spotting you to and from the stand or them smelling you from a distance is part of that. Unless weather changes and forces them to eat early you may just be wasting the rest of your season. Change it up. If you know where most come from then try to get closer to their bedding and catch them on the trails leading to the bait. They may be staging up 100 yards out and just waiting for dark.

PlayTheWindMike
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
never really does, but some times you can use pressure to push them to you if you know where the people come in at!
I personally found the best way to hunt using bait is to set up a 100-200 yrds from it, and not over it
helps up the odds of a deer walking past in shooting hr's and helps a lot on keeping an area from making them smarter too
hunting over bait I think you get usted leaving far too often, and that only makes them come to it later and later into the night
getting in and out of a set up is very important if you ask me,as once deer know your hunting them, they get smarter and harder to kill!

I would have to say the mrbb is dead on here