PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Trail Cam?

ronoconn
12-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I have a spot on our property I would like to set up a trail cam. It's in an area that we have had trouble with trespassers in the past so I would like to mount the camera up high to discourage theft. I've seen the cameras that work off of cel systems and started wondering if there were any that communicated via wifi? Wifi connectivity would not require me to buy a plan to service it. I could just walk out near the camera on occasion, connect to it with a tablet or phone via wifi, view/transfer any images wirelessly, and go about my business. The only time I would need to climb up to the camera would be for battery replacements.

After a little bit of googling I'm coming up with nothing so I thought I'd throw the idea out here.

Great site by the way, I am new to bow hunting and have already gleaned a lot of good info here.

Since this is the 'Trail Cam' section I figured I should include a picture from one of my other cameras:

ghunter
12-27-2012, 03:43 PM
How would you get internet out to the spot?

ronoconn
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
How would you get internet out to the spot?

I'm thinking just the two devices communicating, not connected to a wireless network, maybe this isn't possible. What got me thinking about it is when I've been in an airport or somewhere and I can see other peoples devices in my wireless list on my phone or tablet.

Big_Holla
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
It sounds like you should look at the BuckEye Cam system them. Pretty expensive but once it's set up you can add cameras and jump off of them to get further from the base unit. The BuckEye Cam I have, although not set up for wireless transmission at this time, has literally taken tens of thousands of pictures over the many years of year round use.

Also go to www.trailcampro.com and check out the reviews. There are some others that may work to what you want as well.

ronoconn
12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
It sounds like you should look at the BuckEye Cam system them. Pretty expensive but once it's set up you can add cameras and jump off of them to get further from the base unit. The BuckEye Cam I have, although not set up for wireless transmission at this time, has literally taken tens of thousands of pictures over the many years of year round use.

Also go to www.trailcampro.com and check out the reviews. There are some others that may work to what you want as well.

Thanks for the info. I checked out the Buckeye Cam setup, that looks sweet but the pricetag is steep!

Big_Holla
12-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I checked out the Buckeye Cam setup, that looks sweet but the pricetag is steep!

Yep, that's always been the downfall of their cameras. One of the best out there but the price tag is out of reach for most.

bowhuntingohio
12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I use the TINY-W2 surveillance camera from Spypoint for this exact setup..... It has a Black box ( camo ) that you can put 250ft away and whatever it takes a picture of on the camera it sends to the black box as well, so you would just check that card away from the camera .... Here is the link to that system.
http://www.spypoint.com/EN/trail-cameras/TINY-W2.php

mrbb
12-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Ok I had the moltrie cell plan system , due to same reason, high issue's with camera's getting stolen
here is what I can tell you about my experience with it
first, I had it on a M 55 camera, I think have to doubl;e check exact model
but as far as I was concerned the camera sucked for trigger speed and wake up time
BUT when it worked it took OK pictures

once I hooked up the cell Modem to the camera, I had a major problem with molturie activating the system, it took over 3 weeks worth of me calling them every couple days to get it to work, and mean time I lost 3+ weeks of my cell plan I paid for due to them now doing there part, and they refused to comp me for loss time due to there fault!

second, the Modem sucked down a set of batteries about every 25 to 30 pictures it sent, so that really sucked, and the solar pannel doesn't help on it at all
to add insult to injury, the quality of the pic's it semt was not very good either,very grainy no matter the setting
so I spent a bunch of money on the set up, the cell plan and batteries
and to me , what I wasted I could have bought a buck eye cam

also, this camera missed about 50% of everything that walked past it too, as 90% of the time I went to check the cam/replace batteries, it never once took a pic of me even if I stood in front of it for up to 2-3 minutes
so it just defeated the purpose of what I wanted it for
if a thief seen it they could for sure take it before it woke up and took there pic

one other thing to remember about trail cam's when you place them in tree's up high, is you are loosing there range a lot but placing them up high
but it does help keep them from walking off on you!
I personally think they all need GPS chips in them , you can pay to have turned on to recover if stolen

to me that would be worth paying more for!
I'd love to find the folks that took some of mine!, even if I didn't call the cops on them ??

ronoconn
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
That Spypoint Tiny looks like what I am after, thanks!

I think someone could make a lot of money offering a 'lojack' style service for game cameras.

Thanks to all for the input.

ghunter
12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
In order to connect though wifi you would need wireless internet out there. Now if they had a camera that works on a bluetooth network it would be perfect.

Im thinking about getting a cell camera it is only $10 a month to add a line to your existing cell plan. Like the Admin said the spy point tiny2 is a great camera. Because even if that camera walks away you might get a picture of the person taking it. Just hide that box good