PDA

View Full Version : My New Muzzle Loader Deer Kills

PlayTheWindMike
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I have often thought of getting a new muzzle loader and I have gone through guns over my 49 years of life and have never been really happy with any gun I ever purchased with the exclusion of my wingmaster 20. I have always resorted to my wingmaster after other guns failed me for whatever reason.

Well my brother in law called about a week or so ago and was headed to Gander Mountain so I went along with him. He was going to purchase the CVA Optima and after getting there a looking it over we decided that the CVA Accura Mountain Rifle was a better choice. He bought one and I decided I was due for an early Christmas present as well.

When I sighted the gun in, I felt very confident with my shot at this point. 100 yards my shot was off dead center about an inch. At 150 yards I was off dead center at 2 inches. I took a last and final shot at 200 yards and was off dead center at 2 inches. I was good to go. Now to the hunting

I went out Saturday morning knowing my freezer had no deer meat (well 1 pack of deer burger remained). I was in my climber and about 8:40am I started to doze off for a second and low and behold I looked straight down and a doe come around my tree at 5 yards. I stayed motionless and she mozied along and I drew my CVA and she heard me and run off. She got out in the middle of the field, I grunted with my mouth and she stopped and turned giving me a broadside shot. 128 yards I placed the cross hair on her heart and took the shot. She did the run of death 40 yards and down. As I looked over where she ran I realized there was several deer over in this end of the field. 14 does total. The top half of her heart was blown apart and partial lung as well.

Saturday evening I went back out to this samed field, other end, with CVA and was sitting between two hayfields and seeing this area the deer run straight across these fields and very seldom walk along the edges. Just before sundown a big doe hopped the fence between the two fields and ran down around 90 plus yards then turned to go toward the valley giving me a moving broadside shot. I grunted and at this point she was 110 yards. She stopped, crosshair on chest and bam down she goes. After shooting not even 90 seconds went by, I was reloaded and getting the cap to insert and I turned around and there were several deer in the back field running straight at me but the only deer I had my eye on was the monster buck. He was 40 yards and closing straight toward me. I looked down and threw the cap in and looked back up, I was on my knees in the corner of the gate. I looked at him again and started to draw and he flipped a 180 and ran back the other way. Must of seen me move. A very big buck here. I just sat there with sorrow lol.

Then come Sunday. I went to a new place with some friends and one took me to his uncles farm in southern Ohio. 95 acres where a 167 inch was taken about one month ago. I was hoping to see a monster but did not. I did have a doe come rushing in a saddle I was sitting in a climber right in the middle. I grunted and stopped her. Now at 123 I crosshaired her and it knocked her off her feet and she did a 180 in the air and landed in a pile.

Now with this all being said. First and third deer are in my freezer. The second one I donated, which I do every year to a needy childrens center who happily takes a deer a year from me. The third one is in my freezer along with the first. I also want to mention that I was "Extremely" impressed with the new meat grinder I just bought at Dicks sporting goods. Thing was $119.00 and I have used many grinders and friends grinders over the years, I just have never owned one myself until this one. PM me if you want the details on it. This for the price is great, we ran through my deer and 3 more and ground for a solid 20 minutes. 5 deer run through this without one bog down or anything.

At the end of the day I am truly impressed with this CVA mountain rifle. It is amazing to me at long distances it hits what you want it to hit.

mrbb
12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
cool story and congrats on the kills
and yes many new inlines are super accurate, BUT sadly its like pick of the litter, senmany same make models shoot great and saome make models shoot terible
Crazy
but like most, if you play about enought they will all find a load they like
some just seem to like a lot of different one's and there the keepers!

hortontoter
12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Sounds as though you had a pretty good weekend. I have a question though. After shooting three does this weekend, I assuming none of the three were in urban zones. Are you done for the season or could you legally still take a buck. I'm thinking you can only shoot three deer with either sex permits after 11/25. Am I correct?

MQ1
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
HH You can still hunt each zone ABC and purchase the said amount of tags for each zone like B 2 either sex tags and zone C 3 either sex tags so that would be 5..... Only one antlered deer statewide tho zone A is one Tag....way to many tags to my likeing I think this is the third year for this new way ' not counting the $15 anterlesstags you mentioned

Big_Holla
12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Sounds like a good test for the new gun!! BTW..........where's the pics?!?!?! :icon_bs:

hortontoter
12-18-2012, 09:30 AM
HH You can still hunt each zone ABC and purchase the said amount of tags for each zone like B 2 either sex tags and zone C 3 either sex tags so that would be 5..... Only one antlered deer statewide tho zone A is one Tag....way to many tags to my likeing I think this is the third year for this new way ' not counting the $15 anterlesstags you mentioned

Confusing to say the least. Glad I don't hunt to fill the freezer. So if three does were taken in Zone C after 11/25 would a buck still be legal in that zone if one hadn't yet taken a buck anywhere in the state? Or would one now have to take the buck in A or B? Hope I'm not confusing you now lol.

ghunter
12-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Your correct Dick. You would have to take the buck in either zone A or B. you can take up to 18 deer a year though out the state until the first day of gun season. If you haven't taken any you can only take 6 state wide. However if you bought 6 doe tags before gun season you can take an additional 6 does in any urban zone. But only one buck no matter what.

PlayTheWindMike
12-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Sounds as though you had a pretty good weekend. I have a question though. After shooting three does this weekend, I assuming none of the three were in urban zones. Are you done for the season or could you legally still take a buck. I'm thinking you can only shoot three deer with either sex permits after 11/25. Am I correct?

MQ1 is correct HH. I have land in all zones actually whether they are owned or friends who don't hunt allowing me to hunt their land. I work my own hours at my employment and I own several rentals and some with land and I am thankful for this payoff from alot of hard work in my life. I am not sure where you are coming from questioning me or just simply clarifying what you are not sure of but I can say that I do everything legal. With that being said, last night I counted 32 does and 12 bucks in a 35 acre field on one of the properties I hunt. Out of the 12 bucks, 3 were Booners and 6 of them were 10pt or bigger. These numbers are no exaggeration, I was visiting the next door neighbor and he was burning his trash as we talked. We were separated from the deer by a 10 yard wide hedge. We noticed them and snuck in for the count. This spot is a 400 acre square surrounded by 4 roads. This block has 4 ponds, 2 watersheds and alot of hardwood and thickets along with corn and bean fields. There are a ton of deer here and they need weeded out some. The only property that is allowed to be hunted on in this block is one guy to the east on 11 acres and one guy to the north side where I saw these deer and he has 10 acres. I am allowed to hunt about 150 acres of it and I am allowed access to all of it accept the few houses out at the road on 2 acre lots.

I have invited takers here on the site in the past and only two takers come forward. Let's just say they filled a couple tags themselves.

The only reason I guess I am explaining this is not to be confrontational but to let you know I am not just out there slaughtering deer and usually half of the meat I take per year goes to hungry, needy and not so fortunate folks. I will share the meat and share the hunts. Its fun and the meat goes to good use.

If this website is not about what I am about then that is fine and I do understand. Alot of you guys were here before me and I am not going to upset the cart. I am not a bow hunter only. I finally moved to a muzzle loader from a shotgun to become more accurate hoping not to wound any deer with a shotgun as I have seen in the past.....if I shoot it I want it dead, not running somewhere else dying and rotting away.

hortontoter
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I wasn't questioning your integrity in the least. So please don't take my question the wrong way. I just find some of the bag limit rules confusing.

I think you and I are a bit alike. I hunt for the pleasure of hunting and give the few deer that I do choose to shoot away to someone that needs them also. I also don't disobey the game laws and have respect for the animals I hunt.

I was in no way trying to be confrontational, just asking a question. And you have the same right to be here as I or anyone else does.

If you feel the need to discuss things deeper send me a PM anytime.

PlayTheWindMike
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
I wasn't questioning your integrity in the least. So please don't take my question the wrong way. I just find some of the bag limit rules confusing.

I think you and I are a bit alike. I hunt for the pleasure of hunting and give the few deer that I do choose to shoot away to someone that needs them also. I also don't disobey the game laws and have respect for the animals I hunt.

I was in no way trying to be confrontational, just asking a question. And you have the same right to be here as I or anyone else does.

If you feel the need to discuss things deeper send me a PM anytime.

Nah HH it's all good. I just logged on that day in the wrong mood and yes I thought you were questioning my integrity on hunting. I totally understand your response and I am with ya. I am just used to some folks logging on to websites and stirring crap and for a moment I thought that in this case. I do appreciate you answering and now I have an good opinion of you for your answer back to me. I do not go for folks abusing the laws whether I agree with them all or not. Maybe one day we can do a hunt together.