PDA

View Full Version : possible PA record buck

mrbb
12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
OK this buck was found dead by a couple of guys rabbit hunting about 15 miles from me, here in PA
I new of several folks that had lots of trail cam pic's from the past 2-3 yrs of it, it had a lot less junk just last yr too, but about the same Mass, and was some what going down hill, but the junk added up on the score this yr!
IT lived in an old coal minning area, with lots of old strip mines and active minning in the area!
NO where near any crops or food plots, strickly a woods deer, and in a super heavy hunted area, all the more so after so many knew he was living there! it was a heavy deer driven hunted area for yrs and yrs and got crazy last couple yrs with folks after it!
they believe it was 8+ yrs old, and no idea on what killed it, with pissible causes either being hit maybe by a vehicle or just old age or, as injory from some thing else

I was told a rough score is about at 217+ inches in gross
, and that the guy that found it was buying it off the state
as here in PA, if you find a dead buck and wnat to keep it they charge you??
its I think a $150.00 bucks to keep the head and like $ 15.00 a tine over an inch!, and this one had 26 or so, almost $400.00 for the rack!

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2826774&page=1

Big_Holla
12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Boy what character that buck was carrying around!! Pretty cool if ya ask me!!

hortontoter
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Hope the guy gets the rack from the state for $400 or so. I'm sure the rack is worth a lot more than that. Awesome deer for sure.

mrbb
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
I am about 99% sure the guy that found it bought it off the state, its a simple deal here in pa, you call it in, they come and give you a tag once you pay

but a great buck for sure

MICH
12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
nice buck...easy $ for dnr

mrbb
12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
yea for yrs and yrs, even sheds were not legal to just pick up here in PA
sate seen them as there and for sale
road kills work same way, even on doe's, its pay for them or cut u and return the head and hides
yrs back the game dept used to salavage road kills and sell the hides
then they got lazy, and decided its not there job to remove dead critters
BUT if you do, they can fine you! LOL
its funny up here, DOT cannot remove them, police cannot remove them, and the game dept says its not there job to remove them
so
they must think either they should get paid if someone wants them, or fined if someone touch's them??
either way they get paid then ??
Crazy
But for 400 bucks, I think if I had hunted that deer and had trail cam pic's for a few yrs, I would be happy to shell out that 400 bucks with a smile! cool find
and sure beats not knowing what happened to him

PlayTheWindMike
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
That's a nice buck. The state shouldn't receive one penny for it though. I guess maybe give them a little gas money to come out and give you a tag for it. Agencies have gone too far.

mrbb
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
That's a nice buck. The state shouldn't receive one penny for it though. I guess maybe give them a little gas money to come out and give you a tag for it. Agencies have gone too far.

well 2 things
one, the state here believes every deer is there property, so if you want it you have to pay for it off them??
and second
it was set up yrs ago like this here as a way for them to help catch poachers/cheaters
as if someone was found with a rack and couldn't produce a tag , then they were givin fines

I liked the fact MAYBE it helps keep SOME poachers/cheaters from doing so, but in all honesty, don't see it doing much to them anymore, or even back then, cheaters are cheaters, and don't play by the rules!

But if you ever shoot a buck here and cannot find it till after the season, your in same boat, having to buy it if you want to keep it,
and that I think isn't really fair, but its a cheap/ish fix to get something you worked hard for, so??

hortontoter
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I never could understand how the state owns the wildlife, that we as hunters and fishermen pay to maintain.

ghunter
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Thats like me saying i own a stop sign because its in my front yard. Nobody owns a wild animal. If i ever hit a deer I'm going to sue the state because "there" deer did damage to my car.

hortontoter
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Need a good redneck attorney to make that one fly Gary. Don't call me I'm unedumacated.

mrbb
12-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Thats like me saying i own a stop sign because its in my front yard. Nobody owns a wild animal. If i ever hit a deer I'm going to sue the state because "there" deer did damage to my car.

heyno kidding here in PA people have tried to sue the game dept for having there car hit a deer before
and it was blown up in local papers
that the state declairs the deer there property,all the time, but when it went to court, they claimed under that case it wasn't there property
or just not there fault a deer ran into there car
called it act of GOD
and told them to sue GOD then!!

but under all other things, YUP the deer are there's
crazy crap
all about money it seemed to so many here! and why the papers ran with it for a while!