PDA

View Full Version : Rossi .410 Project Sight In Results

hortontoter
12-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Got a chance to try some slugs through it this morning. Let me say I was a little leary after the comments made on my other thread about gunsmiths not wanting to drill and tap this gun for a scope mount. My initial slug was shot from the hip as I did the shot shells the other day. Everything went OK on the slug test fire. This sighting in was done at 35 yards in hunting conditions. By that I mean sitting on the ground shooting of off a tripod. No sandbags and the gun shouldered.

After that I started sighting in. I had purchasd 10 Remington 2 1/2" 1/5 ounce slugs and 15 3" 1/4 ounce Brennekes. I started with the Remingtons to get close as I knew I wanted to hunt with the Brennekes. The first target kind of tells the story. I shot 4 Remingtons and ended up a decent elevation and windage a bit to the left. I then took a shot with a Benneke and was to the left and a little high. I made an elevation adjustment downward. I ended up with good elevation but still left with my windage.

At this point I adjusted my windage to the right and I felt I was ready to shoot a test group with the Brennekes. Not to bad for shooting off of a tripod at 35 yards. No two shots were more than an inch apart. The group was overall a bit to the right though. I made a slight windage adjust ment to the left and screwed the caps back on the scope. I feel I should be able to hit any deer that steps into range with this rig.

Stonegod
12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Glad to see things are coming along in a timely manner Dick!!! Looks like you'll be in the woods next weekend! Go get them and good luck buddy!!

radicalxl
12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Looks like it's gonna work out. Can't beat that with a stick.

hortontoter
12-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty pleased with the results. Hopefully these little slugs perform well on a deer. I think out to 50 yards they should do well. The Brennekes are by far superior to the Remington, Winchester and Federal offerings. I expect the Brennekes to make complete pass throughs on rib cage shots out to 50 yards. Not a lot of kinetic energy, but a hole in both lungs will be deadly.

mrbb
12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
well looks good and I agree
a hole in both lungs will lead right to meat in the freezer!

deerguy10
12-10-2012, 07:29 AM
a few seasons ago I started shooting Brenneke Slugs in my 12 guage slug gun... rifle slugs in a smoothbore barrel with open sights... my test runs with the slugs proved to be very accurate at 50 yds and I set out the my gun and a box full of brennekes for the week long gun season... wasn't long before I a good looking lone doe standing broadside at 30 yards... I put the gun up, found my spot, pulled the trigger and CLICK! nothing... as I chambered another round the doe took off and I didn't haven't a very good shot so i just sat there wondering what had happened as she waved good bye with her big white tail... I left the woods after that because it's hard to hunt if you are not confident that your weapon is going to do what it is supposed to when you need it to! I took the gun and that box of rounds out and shot the rest of the box... every other round miss fired... not sure if i got a bad batch or what? But, I expect that if i am going to pay more for a product it should do what it is supposed to! so I wrote to brenneke and explained what had happened and no response... needless to say i haven't hunted with brenneke rounds since... not saying this is the norm but, i'd hate to have it happen to somebody else and with that kind of customer service not replying to my letter i have no problems sharing my story...

anyway best of luck Dick! surely hope your results are much better than the hunt i just shared!!!

hortontoter
12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Too bad that happened while hunting. I have a Savage 93 22 Mag that has the same problem with Winchester ammo. But, I did a little research and found that Winchester uses a harder brass than CCI or Hornady that I've never had a misfire with.

The advantage the Brennekes have for the .410 is a much harder alloy slug. This helps them hold together and give much better penetration, but not a lot of expansion. Expansion may be an issue, only time will tell. I'm thinking this little slug will be comparable to an arrow in some ways. So a double lung shot will work the best.

I find it odd that some companies have great customer service and others do not. One would think that Brenneke would bend over backwards to keep you buying their slugs that are 50% higher priced than most of the competitors. I can't blame you for not wanting to continue using their products.

deerguy10
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
anyway... I am excited to hear how that thing works out for you! seems like it is going to be a cool little gun to hunt with!

Big_Holla
12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Hortontoter thanks for all the effort you put into all of this in showing what kind of accuracy you are getting. Might be enough information that someone else can use for themselves or perhaps a youth that's a little intimidated by a 20 or 12 gauge.

MJH
12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Hope the best for you and Im really interested in results on a deer! Hope you let the air out of one!

Mike

mrbb
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
a few seasons ago I started shooting Brenneke Slugs in my 12 guage slug gun... rifle slugs in a smoothbore barrel with open sights... my test runs with the slugs proved to be very accurate at 50 yds and I set out the my gun and a box full of brennekes for the week long gun season... wasn't long before I a good looking lone doe standing broadside at 30 yards... I put the gun up, found my spot, pulled the trigger and CLICK! nothing... as I chambered another round the doe took off and I didn't haven't a very good shot so i just sat there wondering what had happened as she waved good bye with her big white tail... I left the woods after that because it's hard to hunt if you are not confident that your weapon is going to do what it is supposed to when you need it to! I took the gun and that box of rounds out and shot the rest of the box... every other round miss fired... not sure if i got a bad batch or what? But, I expect that if i am going to pay more for a product it should do what it is supposed to! so I wrote to brenneke and explained what had happened and no response... needless to say i haven't hunted with brenneke rounds since... not saying this is the norm but, i'd hate to have it happen to somebody else and with that kind of customer service not replying to my letter i have no problems sharing my story...

anyway best of luck Dick! surely hope your results are much better than the hunt i just shared!!!

to be honest I have seen many brands of ammo make issue's like this, its seem to be a combo of what ever brand gun/ammo not liking each other
with a combo of the gun having a shorter firing pin, or a lighter firing pin spring, and the primers being seated in farther on the round
make too light a hit to make it go off
I learned a long time ago on ammo to feel the primers to make sure none are seated too far, on both reloads and factory ammo, as after yrs of selling ammo and hearing aboout issue like this

I have also seen many many many times where in cold weather , people that never clean or just a dirty firing pin, too much oil grease
and in COLD weather making them drop slow
compounding the problems
and whyy so many times gun writers write about de greasing a firing pin on a cold weather hunt
doesn't really take much to slow a falling pin down
and not bashing, but lower end firearms are know for using weaker parts, thus to help keep cost down

so food for thought maybe!
and not a ammo maker or gun maker issue really
but a combo of things that happened many times!

deerguy10
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Hmmm.. that's certainly something i hadn't thought about.. I feel like I keep my gun pretty clean but who knows maybe i should give it a little better once over... I'm not sure what you would call a "lower end" fire arm but, the gun I was shooting them out of was a smith & wesson 1000 12 gauge... one of the older ones not the newer shotgun they released a few years ago...

Some good stuff to think about though! thanks for the input

Don't mean to Highjack the thread! haha, funny how these things evolve sometimes

mrbb
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Hmmm.. that's certainly something i hadn't thought about.. I feel like I keep my gun pretty clean but who knows maybe i should give it a little better once over... I'm not sure what you would call a "lower end" fire arm but, the gun I was shooting them out of was a smith & wesson 1000 12 gauge... one of the older ones not the newer shotgun they released a few years ago...

Some good stuff to think about though! thanks for the input

Don't mean to Highjack the thread! haha, funny how these things evolve sometimes

lower end guns are simply the lower costs models per maker more or less
and I had one of them S&W's , with a smooth bore rifle sights
kicked like a mule in 12 gauge LOL
and had some problems, and why they stopped making it
not bashing the gun, when they work they work
but they did stop making for reasons??
most guys clean the bore, and outside real well, but neglect many intiurnal parts, and after yrs of hunting, and adding oil
dust can build up and make things not what they once were or were suposed to be, amazing how grim and dirt can get into some places on guns!
semi's are known to be first on the list to see issue's
but any moving part can get slowed down by even a small amount of dirt!, and amy oils can get sticky as temps drop
but yea, a dry clean action will work tons better in cold weather many times than a oiled one?

hortontoter
12-11-2012, 01:19 PM
mrbb is correct, some guns have weaker springs and/or shorter firing pins. Primer depth can be an issue also.

My brother and brother in law bought me a new shotgun for my 18th birthday. The gun was a Cooey 28 gauge single shot. I believe this was a gun made in Canada for Winchester. This gun was notorious for misfires for some reason. I liked the gun but didn't keep it very long. Watching a cockbird fly off after the click and no bang happened one to many times. My ex wife bought me a used 20 gauge side by side double barrel made by Kassnar on my 19th birthday. I still have that now well worn 20 that I hunted with for nearly 40 years and never did it fail to fire either barrel. Some guns just seem to work under any condition.

mrbb
12-11-2012, 11:34 PM
thats right some guns are made to adapt for some issues and thus work better and or just not as picky on ammo, and likes
doesn't always mean a cheaper gun, many High end guns will not work with some ammos too, having extra tight tolerances, means if things are off in other places they don't work
its like AK's and AR's
an AK(47) will 99.9% of the time work as dirty as you can get them, and an AR can be problem matic with just a little dirt or fouling
and again the AR is more picky on Ammo
due to just the way it was made to work, on tolerances alone, then add in ammo from "X" maker and ??
it doesn't have to be quality
as many AK's were honestly made out of scrap metals, yet still work well!

but like all tools
things can be done to make them better!
and there are always tricks to make one work better too! to get by with what you have and just do a little TLC to it in the right way!
and this is where knowing a good gun smith can be priceless!