PDA

View Full Version : setting goals/target bucks

mrbb
12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
OK this is a take off the post about
Late Season "Kill deer just to fill a tag"...?
I am just wondering how many guys here stick to a plan about of either a target buck or a set goal
or do your standards change as the season goes on??

on lands I more or less know what deer are on it, I personally sitck to a target buck or two, and then , MAYBE if a bigger one should show up, I would switch off
and then on out of state hunts I stick to a size
and am more than willing to eat a tag if need be to stick to my goals
SO??
what do you's do??

BowGuy2
12-07-2012, 10:21 PM
I stick to a size/ target buck iv had like 7-8 shooter bucks show up out of no where this year. So mostly size

hortontoter
12-07-2012, 10:30 PM
The last couple years I held out for targeted bucks. This season I rethought this idea. If it weren't for game cameras I wouldn't know some of the bucks I've targeted even exist. I say this because I have never seen them other than on a camera. So I've decided that I would hold out for my target bucks until my birthday in early November. After that I will shoot non targeted bucks, but they still must be somthing decent.

Big_Holla
12-08-2012, 07:47 AM
For me in Ohio I stick to shooting a mature buck (hopefully no less than 3 1/2 years) that's got at least 2 of the following: Out past his ears, great mass, unique character to his rack.......OR if he does something really memorable and I get caught up in the moment :biggrinjester:

At least I'd like to think that way anyways!! LOL

In Michigan, we still try not to shoot young bucks but it's becoming difficult not to when we see 80% bucks and only a few does/yearlings. At least it seems that way on a couple properties. All young, under 2 1/2 with the exception of one big buck we spotted, but he's Michigan smart and I don't have time for that LOL!!

ohiobuckhunter
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
4 1/2 years old and 140 inches I have not killed a buck since 2009 have let many great bucks walk that were to young. My standards are the same at end of season as it was on opening day

forestman
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
I stuck to my target bucks this year and ended up eating tag soup here in Pa but I just hope one of the ones I was after made it for next year.

archerymurray
12-09-2012, 09:59 PM
My goals change as I mature as a hunter.. I can remember being happy with anything with horns, then a basket rack, then a P&Y, right now I'm looking for 140+.. Who knows what the future holds.. A trophy is whatever satisfies u as a hunter and makes u happy.