PDA

View Full Version : This Weeks Project

hortontoter
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
After sitting home the week of deer gun season I decided I needed to get back to gun hunting. My doctor has advised me to no longer shoot shotguns or high powered rifles. But, I thought why not a .410. Not enough recoil there to bother my chest after my open heart surgery. So the search began earlier this week. I knew a single shot would suit me best for this little project. On Tuesday morning I found what I was looking for. A Rossi youth combo with a 22" modified .410 barrel and a .22LR barrel. Two things caught my eye on the internet ad. A $50 price was good and the .410 barrel already had a base mount for a scope. Now the catch, the ejector didn't work on the .410 barrel. It was missing a pin to keep tension on the ejector spring. I figured I didn't need the .22 so I would steal that pin and use it in the .410. The stock and forearm had been painted black with a brush. Again no big deal, I use my guns not display them. After looking at the pin in the .22 barrel I thought I could just make one. I took a heavy finishing nail, cut it to the correct length and walla, an easy fix. I took the .410 out yesterday for test firing. Everything worked fine. Next step I headed to my basement to find the next intregal part, a scope. Alas, I foung a 4X Bushnell that had a price sticker of $5.00 on it. Where I got it who knows, but I never pass up a steal at the flea market. I'll be headed out later this morning to pick up a set of rings and will get the scope mounted. I'll be testing some slugs early next week and plan to have this thing in the woods a week from Saturday. Hope a fat doe ambles by to field test it.

Not much to look at but I'm confident that when I'm done it will do the job.

ghunter
12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Thats a pretty cool gun Dick. Whats the effective range on it? I hope a deer walks out in front of you.

mrbb
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
OK sounds like a fun deal
do you know what choke is on the barrel??
anything past Modified, might be a problem with slugs, most shotgun barrels for slugs are either open, cylinder, or improved cylinder
just a heads up, as if it has a full or extra full, it can be too tight for many slugs and cause them to fly funny, or ??
also if you do find it has some recoil you can always ad weight top the butt stock to help there too
good luck
look forward to how it works out

Stonegod
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
50 bucks Dick??!!!!......I'm surprised you were willing to spend that much!LOL That's a heck of a deal Dick.....it can also be your backup coon gun when we go coon hunting!

hortontoter
12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
The effective range depends a lot on the slug used in my opinion, but it will be short regardless. From what I've gathered in some quick research the Brenneke slugs have a big advantage over the other companies. Brenneke uses a harder alloy and a heavier slug. They cost more, but I would say they are worth the additional cost. The .410 is a controversial gauge to use on deer. Most say it should be used only at short range and by an expert marksman. I plan to shoot no more than 40 to 50 yards, and as you all know, I am an expert marksman lol.

The choke is modified which hopefully shoots decent. Only time will tell that.

Making progress this morning. I got the lowest rings I could that would allow room for my thumb to cock the hammer. I hate high rings on any gun. I set up my rests I use on the bench and got her boresited. Next step is to find some slugs and see how she groups.

Big_Holla
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Very nice job Hortontoter!! Sounds like you are well on your way to being ready for gun season!! Will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy you can get out of it!

radicalxl
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a hell of a deal all around Dick. Hope it works good for you. Can't wait to hear. Back in the day they outlawed the .410 for deer hunting because it was supposed to have the effectiveness of a rifle, as I'm sure you well know. Shouldn't have a problem as far as I can see. I used one when I was younger and it was still legal. I liked it.

mrbb
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
as for the hammer, they do sell a spur that you mount to the hammer, that makes cocking it a lot easier with a scope on the gun, there not that much really
many times if you have a good gun store near by, odds are you cabn get them to sell you one off a used gun too for cheap
or I know I used if asked!
and if for some reason you cannopt get it to group, the choke can be upened up by a smith too
as for using the harder slugs, honestly that might not be a great idea on a modified choke, as they will be getting snug on leaving
my friends have a same like .410 for his kids, and the cheap remington 1 oz slugs group good in there's
they have the H&R single shot, not the rossi, but? just food for thought!
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-extensions/hammer-extensions-prod9036.aspx

hortontoter
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
The hammer extension is a thought, but I think I will be OK with it the way it is.

All Remington slugs I've seen for the .410 are 2 1/2" with 1/5 ounce slug weight.

Brenneke makes a 3" 1/4 ounce slug the heaviest over the counter slug. If these shoot well they will be my first coice for hunting.

Big_Holla
12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
I've shot a few loads thru the .410 we have over the years that kick a lot like a 20 gauge Hortontoter, just be careful.

hortontoter
12-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I shot the gun on Thursday with no problems. Will be picking up some slugs today and hope to do some testing Sunday or Monday.

Mike F
12-08-2012, 10:28 AM
The one I have is 22" and a mod choke.

ohiobuckhunter
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
My daughter has this same gun we took it to 3 different gun smiths to get it drilled and taped to mount a scope to it and al 3 of them refused to do it they all said the barrel was to thin to drill holes in it. They were worried if they drilled and taped it that when we fired a shot through it it could explode in our face. So just be cautious when you fire your first shot I would fire a few at the ground without shouldering the gun. But if it is safe best of luck to you

Greybeard11
12-08-2012, 09:03 PM
My son had one of these combos, fine firearm. Good luck.

hortontoter
12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
My daughter has this same gun we took it to 3 different gun smiths to get it drilled and taped to mount a scope to it and al 3 of them refused to do it they all said the barrel was to thin to drill holes in it. They were worried if they drilled and taped it that when we fired a shot through it it could explode in our face. So just be cautious when you fire your first shot I would fire a few at the ground without shouldering the gun. But if it is safe best of luck to you

I fired three, three inch rounds through it on Thursday. I never put a gun against my cheek the first time I fire it. I rested the butt on my thigh for the first two shots. The third shot I shouldered and there was not any problem. But, I appreciate you letting me know what the gunsmiths said. I admit that there is not a lot of barrel to tap into. I know that these mounts come factory on the 20 and 12 gauge guns made by Rossi. But, the barrels may be thicker on those gauges.