PDA

View Full Version : New Bow Hunter Gear List

KaBar2336
12-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm new to bow hunting and to this forum. I joined to get good ideas and knowledge about it. I looked for awhile and couldn't find a "new bow hunter must haves" thread. So I thought I would start one. What do you guys recommend for a newbie?

Seeker Bp
12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the Bowhunting world!! I would have to say a good start is Having your Bow set up to fit you. And also a decent target that you can start practicing on. Good luck with everything...

KaBar2336
12-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the Bowhunting world!! I would have to say a good start is Having your Bow set up to fit you. And also a decent target that you can start practicing on. Good luck with everything...

Well I bought it used for $80. Its a Browning and came with a case and 6 arrows(1 practice head). So Friday Im taking it to have it re-strung, and adjusted to a 291/2 draw length. Also having a d-loop added and buying a quick release. I was talking more of gear( i.e. clothing, accesories, etc...)

mrbb
12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
well , as for gear??
a good back pack is top of my list,(besides a bow and arrows and broadheads) next some good fleece outer wear, its warm quiet and dries fast and lighter than most other stuff, and good scent free detergent to wash all items in and then some plastic containers to store/transport cloths in during a hunt or storage, scent is the enemy to a bow hunter!
next would be a range finder, you do not need one to range at 500+ yrds, look about , all the more so now, X mas time, many good bow rangefinders are and will be on sale for under a 100 bucks, and well worth it to have, a tool you will use all the time bow hunting for yrs!
if you plan to hunt out of tree stands then a good safety vest/harness
start using one from the begining and it will be second nature I think the rest of your yrs
older guys that grew up not using them seem to have the hardest time using them!
as for boots??and other clothing its a lot of personal choice's
scent loc clothing and under armor, to me are not neded if you take care in scent control , and wear other clothes in proper layers , they are higher priced gimic's that get pushed by TV shows, and too many folks get caught up in needing them I feel based on just seeing so many wear the stuff!
NOT saying its not going to work or help, just saying its not needed, and some times its NOT worth the prices if you ask me!, and yes I am guilty of buying a lot of it over the yrs, but don't use it all that much to be honest even having it! have stuff that costs a LOT less and works better in my opinion!

I think a good climbing tree stand is nice to have, and or a loc on and climbing sticks, but they can be added as you get better and have a better idea on what you want to have, or like to use!
just if you buy any used make sure you get new straps, they do have a dated experation date on them and how they were kept can shorten that too, so peace of mind and safety would be worth the extra costs

I would suggest you look closely at gear you buy, and not just buy by name brand and price tag
BUT remember, you get what you pay for , to a POINT!
good gear lasts a LONG time if you take care of it, so some times you have to concider it an investment over the yrs, rather than going the cheap route and replacing a few times, many times its cheaper to suck it up on the first buy, and have what you want and , then take care of it
as for a bow, they last long too, things to think about getting EXTRA"S are a extra release to carry with you
a good Bow case, is good to have as well, helps kep you bow in better shape and helps prevent sights and such from moving
I also recommend you make with scribe lines your sights and rest and such once your dialed in, makes seeing if something moves a lot easier
a good block type tyarget is nice to have, to take a pracitce shot every now and then during the season to make sure things are dialed in!
and from there have the desire to lean more about becoming a better bow hunter, and LOTS AND LOTS of practice
good luck

KaBar2336
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
well , as for gear??
a good back pack is top of my list,(besides a bow and arrows and broadheads) next some good fleece outer wear, its warm quiet and dries fast and lighter than most other stuff, and good scent free detergent to wash all items in and then some plastic containers to store/transport cloths in during a hunt or storage, scent is the enemy to a bow hunter!
next would be a range finder, you do not need one to range at 500+ yrds, look about , all the more so now, X mas time, many good bow rangefinders are and will be on sale for under a 100 bucks, and well worth it to have, a tool you will use all the time bow hunting for yrs!
if you plan to hunt out of tree stands then a good safety vest/harness
start using one from the begining and it will be second nature I think the rest of your yrs
older guys that grew up not using them seem to have the hardest time using them!
as for boots??and other clothing its a lot of personal choice's
scent loc clothing and under armor, to me are not neded if you take care in scent control , and wear other clothes in proper layers , they are higher priced gimic's that get pushed by TV shows, and too many folks get caught up in needing them I feel based on just seeing so many wear the stuff!
NOT saying its not going to work or help, just saying its not needed, and some times its NOT worth the prices if you ask me!, and yes I am guilty of buying a lot of it over the yrs, but don't use it all that much to be honest even having it! have stuff that costs a LOT less and works better in my opinion!

I think a good climbing tree stand is nice to have, and or a loc on and climbing sticks, but they can be added as you get better and have a better idea on what you want to have, or like to use!
just if you buy any used make sure you get new straps, they do have a dated experation date on them and how they were kept can shorten that too, so peace of mind and safety would be worth the extra costs

I would suggest you look closely at gear you buy, and not just buy by name brand and price tag
BUT remember, you get what you pay for , to a POINT!
good gear lasts a LONG time if you take care of it, so some times you have to concider it an investment over the yrs, rather than going the cheap route and replacing a few times, many times its cheaper to suck it up on the first buy, and have what you want and , then take care of it
as for a bow, they last long too, things to think about getting EXTRA"S are a extra release to carry with you
a good Bow case, is good to have as well, helps kep you bow in better shape and helps prevent sights and such from moving
I also recommend you make with scribe lines your sights and rest and such once your dialed in, makes seeing if something moves a lot easier
a good block type tyarget is nice to have, to take a pracitce shot every now and then during the season to make sure things are dialed in!
and from there have the desire to lean more about becoming a better bow hunter, and LOTS AND LOTS of practice
good luck

^Exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up man!
I have a few good friends(and family) that will help me out too but as for clothes I think Im good. I was in the USMC and still have some woodland camis. Im thinking of just wearing them for awhile(atleast the trousers). There durable, lightweight, and cheap haha
As for boots, yup ou guessed it. Waterproof combat boots.
I will get a good back pack and have family with tree stands I can use.
As for the desire to learn... Well Im here arnt I? lol

teej89
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
here's my gear list:

Bow - typical bow accessories: string silencers, sight, rest, stabilizer, peep, kisser button (preference)...
Arrows - 100g field point and broad head tips
quiver
Release
Arm guard (for when I have a heavy jacket)
PACK! this is a must
tree stand - climber or hang on stand which ever you prefer, try a climber before you buy it
rangefinder - don't get the one with the angle compensation unless you plan to hunt elk and shooting over 500 yds at a steep angle, think of the math, 30 feet (10yds) up you sight the base of the tree and it says 30 yards, the true distance is 28ish yds, not that big of a difference
bow hanger (unless you plan on holding it in the tree)
Quiver hanger (again unless you plan on holding it)
harness and tree strap
rope to hoist your bow up in the tree

there's also calls and scents but thats down the line.

KaBar2336
12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
here's my gear list:

Bow - typical bow accessories: string silencers, sight, rest, stabilizer, peep, kisser button (preference)...
Arrows - 100g field point and broad head tips
quiver
Release
Arm guard (for when I have a heavy jacket)
PACK! this is a must
tree stand - climber or hang on stand which ever you prefer, try a climber before you buy it
rangefinder - don't get the one with the angle compensation unless you plan to hunt elk and shooting over 500 yds at a steep angle, think of the math, 30 feet (10yds) up you sight the base of the tree and it says 30 yards, the true distance is 28ish yds, not that big of a difference
bow hanger (unless you plan on holding it in the tree)
Quiver hanger (again unless you plan on holding it)
harness and tree strap
rope to hoist your bow up in the tree

there's also calls and scents but thats down the line.

Thanks! This was also what I was looking for. The bow came with a sight(old as dirt) so I want to upgrade. Also came with a silencer and stabilizer. The silencer looks like it would be louder rather than quiet. The stabilizer is HUGE. Idk what a kisser button is... lol So complete rehaul is in the making(as much as my income can take though) What is recomended for hunting when it comes to stabilizers? I know that some are more for 3D and whatnot. Is it really a personal preference thing?

tim1676
12-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Trail cams are reaal nice to inventory the deer you have running around. Also, one thing I bought this year, and love it, is a hand muff...the kind like a fanny pack but you stick your hands in it. They are insulated and you can put a couple hand warmers inside so you don't realy need to wear gloves, works real well.

Just keep adding things you need a little at a time and over the years you will end up having most of what you need.

ghunter
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I have a Trophy ridge sight ill sell if you want it? 96399640

KaBar2336
12-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Trail cams are reaal nice to inventory the deer you have running around. Also, one thing I bought this year, and love it, is a hand muff...the kind like a fanny pack but you stick your hands in it. They are insulated and you can put a couple hand warmers inside so you don't realy need to wear gloves, works real well.

Just keep adding things you need a little at a time and over the years you will end up having most of what you need.

Well I will be going with family where they hunt. Can't really leave a cam out. But as for the hand warmer that's a good idea. Bc I'm thinking of using fingerless gloves so I can use that to keep them warm till I new to release.

I have a Trophy ridge sight ill sell if you want it? 96399640

How much?

KaBar2336
12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks again ghunter! The new sight will look good on my bow!

archerymurray
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Semper Fi I'm also former USMC.. The bare necessities needed to get started are a bow, a stand and a wind detector.. Everything else u can build on.. Those three are a must. Welcome to the sport and good luck

KaBar2336
12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Semper Fi I'm also former USMC.. The bare necessities needed to get started are a bow, a stand and a wind detector.. Everything else u can build on.. Those three are a must. Welcome to the sport and good luck

Semper Fi brother! Thanks!

sano888
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm fairly new to bow hunting and love it. I wouldn't worry about buying expensive scent eliminating clothes. I wear camo to blend in but not scent free stuff. Deer have walked right under my stand a number of times. However, I have seen where I've crossed a trail and they'll stop where I've walked and turn the other way. May want to pay attention to that. Wouldn't buy a range finder either, at least for a while. I wouldn't shoot a deer beyond 30 yards. Not that good yet. 30 yards is pretty far for a beginner. Stick to the closer shots. Most importantly, IMO, practice being calm in the tree. You'll be surprised how much you will shake when you draw back. You have to mentally calm yourself and plan to be calm. Breathe. Run through a mental checklist before you see your deer. It happens faster than you might think. Visualize scenarios and practice being calm. Do it a couple times and you'll figure out what you need to get the job done. Enjoy and good luck.

KaBar2336
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm fairly new to bow hunting and love it. I wouldn't worry about buying expensive scent eliminating clothes. I wear camo to blend in but not scent free stuff. Deer have walked right under my stand a number of times. However, I have seen where I've crossed a trail and they'll stop where I've walked and turn the other way. May want to pay attention to that. Wouldn't buy a range finder either, at least for a while. I wouldn't shoot a deer beyond 30 yards. Not that good yet. 30 yards is pretty far for a beginner. Stick to the closer shots. Most importantly, IMO, practice being calm in the tree. You'll be surprised how much you will shake when you draw back. You have to mentally calm yourself and plan to be calm. Breathe. Run through a mental checklist before you see your deer. It happens faster than you might think. Visualize scenarios and practice being calm. Do it a couple times and you'll figure out what you need to get the job done. Enjoy and good luck.

Thanks! I dont plan on buying any scent free clothes yet. Just washing my camo in scent free detergant. I also dont plan on shooting anything further than 30 for awhile. As for the being calm. I think I have that down. Something about the Marine Corps training that has my confidance on that pretty high.

sano888
12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you for your service! It is appreciated.

mrbb
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
just something else to maybe think about
try going to a few local bow shops and see if any have any clubs or shooting leagues
its a great way to meet fellow bow hunters and learn a lot as you have fun shooting and meeting new folks in the sport
good luck again, and have fun

KaBar2336
12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you for your service! It is appreciated.

Thank you!

just something else to maybe think about
try going to a few local bow shops and see if any have any clubs or shooting leagues
its a great way to meet fellow bow hunters and learn a lot as you have fun shooting and meeting new folks in the sport
good luck again, and have fun

I will look into that for sure. I also have a lot of friends and family that hunt

Big_Holla
12-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Great thread KaBar2336 and thank you for your service!! Once you get your bow set up and all mrbb touched on it but I would recommend finding some 3D courses this Spring and Summer to get into. That is the best way to get ready for deer season and hey, they are a lot of fun!! Maybe there are a few members on here who can point you in the right direction based on where you live. The one thing I have grown to rely on more is a rangefinder. Taking those early distance checks will help you when yards matter. If you intend to bowhunt out of a treestand I would recommend the angle compensator, such as the Nikon Archer's Choice range finder. Not much more money for a better quality rangefinder.

Good luck to you and check back often, tell us how things are going!! Oh, and...................

As for the being calm. I think I have that down. Something about the Marine Corps training that has my confidance on that pretty high.

I can't wait to hear how it felt when you have an Ohio giant at 20 yards chasing a doe past you when ya take the shot!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

KaBar2336
12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Great thread KaBar2336 and thank you for your service!! Once you get your bow set up and all mrbb touched on it but I would recommend finding some 3D courses this Spring and Summer to get into. That is the best way to get ready for deer season and hey, they are a lot of fun!! Maybe there are a few members on here who can point you in the right direction based on where you live. The one thing I have grown to rely on more is a rangefinder. Taking those early distance checks will help you when yards matter. If you intend to bowhunt out of a treestand I would recommend the angle compensator, such as the Nikon Archer's Choice range finder. Not much more money for a better quality rangefinder.

Good luck to you and check back often, tell us how things are going!! Oh, and...................

I can't wait to hear how it felt when you have an Ohio giant at 20 yards chasing a doe past you when ya take the shot!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I know of 1 3D near me that I plan on going to this spring and summer. Thanks for the advise!
And Im sure it will be something different thats for sure!! haha

Toke2
09-03-2013, 06:31 PM
KaBar - just saw this thread - and I am somewhat of newbie as well ( and close by in Tallmadge).... Just wondering how your first crack at bow hunting went last season..... You gonna give it another shot this year?

Liberty60
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I was hoping to hear how he made out as well. Unfortunately, he hasn't logged in since last Dec.