PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on buying game camera

whodey1966
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I am looking for ideas for a game camera for a family member for a Christmas gift. I have never used one so I am green when it comes to cameras. I would like to stay under 100 dollars, Just need a decent camera for wildlife. Ideas Please
Thanks!

mrbb
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
well I personally think that almost all the cam's for under a 100 bucks are about the same
they work OK, but have nothing on a better cam, you get what you pay for, just stick to a brand name and look for one's on sale, would be my best suggestions if your looking to stay under 100 bucks

other wise I woudl say your better off buying a better cam, like a cuddleback, they should eb on sale now for under 200, but get a budget is what a budget is!

skeeter
12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Try the Moultrie M-80 XT (Around 90 bucks by it now option on ebay) or the Wildgame Innovation red 6 cam. Both great cams for the money.

MJH
12-04-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Spypoint-G4-Game-Camera&i=443105&aID=503AC3B&merchID=4006

Give this Spypoint a look. I have 3 of them and love them.
310 reviews and 4.4 rating
Mike

YouthHunter
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Covert MP6. Fine them on eBay 125-135$ with free shipping. I love the cameras.

whodey1966
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

hortontoter
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
I recently picked up a Bushnell camera at Walmart for $99. I takes pretty good photos. The batteries (4AA) last a very long time to boot.

ajupsman
12-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Go to to trailcampro.com. Great site to read reviews on all the popular brands and they make recommendations at all price levels. You can order cameras from there too.

Griz
12-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't disagree with mrbb very often but I would not ever buy a cuddyback. there costomer service is a joke. When I did call them after they listen to my problem I was promply told maybe I shouldn't own a cuddyback. So thats why I feel the way I do. My issure was having problems with formating the card. But the story ends pretty good. I had one camera stolen last yr. Yup, it was my cuddyback. Problem solved. I do own a low end Primos carmera. For the money its great. Trailcampro.com is a great place to start. Good luck.

bds9
12-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Try the spypoint. I had a cuddeback, this is twice the camera for half the price. Very good quality pics especially for an IR!

rrennec2
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I have several cameras.
Own a cuddeback - ok camera Service SUCKS
Own a 2 Spypoints and LOVE them
Own a Primos - Noce camera for the Money
Own a Uway NX 50 - Awesome little camera
Own a ScoutGuard - Awesome little camera as well.

For the Money and Battery Life go woth a Spypoint - Uway NX 50 or a ScoutGuard

Lord ToneKing
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I bought a Tasco 3MP at Walmart for $50 and it does ok over scrapes or bait. Only reaches out about 25 ft but you'll definatley see what you're looking for

Check out the pics I got that I posted in this thread and see what you think http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/18855-Man-do-I-have-big-bucks-where-I-hunt!-*pic*

mrbb
12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I bought a Tasco 3MP at Walmart for $50 and it does ok over scrapes or bait. Only reaches out about 25 ft but you'll definatley see what you're looking for

Check out the pics I got that I posted in this thread and see what you think http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/18855-Man-do-I-have-big-bucks-where-I-hunt!-*pic*

well just a follow up
I too have a tasco camera, and several other makers and models, and I am not saying cuddlebacks are the best, just when they work , they have a big advantage due to trigger speed
I have the luxury of having a feeder in my back yard I can watch critter fed out of 24/7, just 30 yrds from my house
and I have set many a camera up over the feeder with me being able to watch it,
and then see what camera took what picture, OR DIDN"T take a picture

I have placed cameras one on top or side by side over this feeder, and done my own test like this, and seen how many miss pictures
these $50 buck walmart cam's miss a ton of pictures, mine have a flash, and I can watch at night and see deer/bears and what nots standing in front of this camera for 15-20 minutes and it take just 1-5 pictures or at times zero pic's
and THEN some days it works great, and will snap one pic every minute, and quality of pic's if OK, so they do work , but not reliable all the time, or even most of the time, to be honest!
I have seen other brand and model camera's from about $3000.00 bucks down do the like, work today not tomorrow then work again !
they all seem to have good days and bad days, to be honest, even the cuddlebacks( I never had a problem with there service dept, maybe dumb luck there on my part as I have heard about it many times being poor)
BUT after almost 14 yrs of using camera's
I say trigger speed is a huge deal breaker, and so is wake up time, a camera that misses so many things defeats the purpose to me!and in my experience with the models/makes I have used
when the cuddlebacks work they work the best, and I say WHEN, as I said all cam's seem to go nuts for a period at random!
something many guys I don't think see when they place it out in the woods and don't get to see things walk past them, and it not work/capture a image!
you just don't know it didn't work, not being able to see that stuff
in side by side tests over my feeder with camera's all next to each other, 9 out of 10 times my cuddleback will have 25% or more pictures over same feeder, no matter where/what order I place the camera's in, when set on same time pic taking
so to me, they get my vote
maybe other makes and models work better for less, and I haven't tried them all, by any means,
and I know there are so many makes and models out there now, its crazy!
but just my honest opinion, of running camera's for about 9+ months a yr for 10+ yrs of doing so(started in 1998, on 35 mm films,
but first couple yrs just in hunting season and just before)
so again
buying a Cheaper camera, you get what you pay for , and it will miss things I feel, more than what a better cam will !
and again just my 2 cents

deerguy10
12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Went to a seminar on trails cams at the deer and turkey show this year... the guy giving the seminar writes for deer and deer hunting magazine and his recommendation was the moultrie m - 80 he says it's by far one of his favorite cameras and the best bang for your buck... haven't tried this model yet but, i plan to get a few this offseason and give them a whirl...

compoundhunter
12-06-2012, 07:06 PM
ive went through quite a few moultries get the on sale for 70 bucks and last a few years and do good and take a crap.. either not take pictures or drain batteries or something or another.. had a little bushnell 5.0 and that thing lasted 1 year... so i seen spypoint on here and i bought one this year and put it on a dozer trail and every picture is blurry or the ass end of a deer.. i tried every setting on the sensitivity nob throughout the summer and nothin seemed to work...i think i just might go back to the cheaper moutries

dangerousoldman
12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
all in all a bushnell is hard to beat. The trophy cams without all the camo etc are the best deals around. all season on a set of batteries and good pics and trigger speeds. Their cust serv is outstanding. I sent one back because i couldnt get it to clear and reset after 3 years. They straightened it out and sent it back to me and I found out what I was doing wrong. No cost and quick turn around. long term they are good deals....You can buy one of them onsale sometimes pretty well priced. The longevity of the batteries is great. No worry about them going dead if you dont check them for a couple weeks...