PDA

View Full Version : Who's your least favorite and or favorite "professional hunter"

teej89
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Figured I'd throw in a new thread, and I was thinking bout this the other day while hunting, and this is helping me procrastinate on a paper that's due thursday.... anyways in your opinion whos your least favorite "professional" hunter and why? And or who's your favorite professional hunter?

I'll start off with my least favorite, well theres a couple but only one name comes in mind. That man is Stan Potts, he seems like a nice guy and what not but I have never seem someone who's killed MULTIPLE +200" bucks get so over dramatically excited after shooting a deer just for a television show. He doesn't have to sell it, but I feel he tries so hard to after the kill. Yeah I get excited and pumped but this guy puts a SHOW on and at some point i'm thinking Stan just stop you're ruining it.

My favorite guys would probably either be the Drury brothers or Fred Eichler. Oh yeah can't forget the Infamous Fred Bear, bought my dad his DVD's last year for christmas and those are some pretty cool videos, it's amazing what that guy did with traditional equipment.

MJH
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I don't think stan is trying to over sale "it" I honestly think his is pure rush of emotion! He is breathing so fricken hard and shaking I think the old fart is gonna have a heart attack on stand. Larry Wieshuhn drives me nuts! The man can't shoot. Saw an episode last yr were he was throwing lead at a buck and hit it in the back of the head! I'm with you on the Drurys too! Oh and the HOTTIES for the eye candy! LOL!

Mike

Bushman
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
By far my favorite pro hunter and show is Bill Winke of Midwest Whitetail. Hes not the most outgoing personality but he seems really down to earth and the show is really informative with a good about of Ohio hunts thrown in. As for my least favorites thats and easy one. I met Mark Drury at one of the NWTF conventions and he was a pompus ass.

teej89
12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I met Mark Drury at one of the NWTF conventions and he was a pompus ass.

man never woulda guessed that

radicalxl
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hey!!!!!! what do you mean Stan is an old fart! Him and I are about the same age. LOL. Thats probably why he is my favorite, and I don't think he over acts either. Us old guys have a wealth of knowledge, one of these days you'll realize that. Wait till you guys are in your upper 50's and lower 60's and see if you don't get excited when you realize you can still kill deer with a bow at that age. My least favorite would be David Blanton. Watched a Realtree video once and he clearly hit the deer in the neck and they passed it off as a good shot and replaced the deer. With running the shot in slow motion many times it was very evident where he hit it, and looking at the rack on the deer they "found" the brow tines were different. Just admit you made a bad shot and teach people how not to do it. Probably why I don't like too many hunting shows or videos.

Griz
12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I like Ralph & Vicki, and also think T-bone is a good guy. What I don't like is the eye candy shows. What has that got to do with hunting. If any of them women had to do any of the planing or dragging, or stand hanging, or gutting and on and on. You know they wouldn't be there. But its the nature of TV. My biggest beef is what they think a trophy is. You can be brain washed if your not carefull or have no life experiences. Out of the 5 shooters I saw this trip to Ohio 4 of them would be passed on. Maybe one was a shooter and that depends on the show. They treat does as though you can walk out your back door and kill one when ever you want. I don't think the shows project real reality. How many times can they pull of a kill in the last day of the last hour? They all live in a different world than working people do. But I have to admit, I do enjoy watching some of them. I just try and keep things in prospective. My two cents.

zmax
12-03-2012, 07:31 PM
My all time favorite is Chuck Adams.

Lord ToneKing
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I dont like any of them! "I" should be a professional "hunter" and get to travel the country hunting trophy animals...and getting PAID for it! lol!

btw, Roger Raglin is hoot!

Jwright
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm with Lord ToneKing- how hard is it to travel around and "hunt" a farm or a spot - where you know the owner or farmer has told them where the deer come from!! It takes all the scouting and true hunting out of it. IMO - they don't have a clue - they knew someone to get on a show or was at the right place at the right time.

MICH
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
GOOD THREAD......wildgame products crew, handsdown & best , LEE & WHATS HER NAME, WOW and she hunts,sweeeeeeet

OHBooner
12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Drury has done the best job telling a story. It's nice seeing people with full time jobs and families. Most realistic - or more compareable to me anyway.

I like Stan Potts! I think those guys are great hunters.

I recently have been impressed with the show Red Arrow.

The only people I don't like are the ones that do high fence hunts. Not that I'm morally opposed to it.

I like Shockey, but I have a hard time getting interested in his shows.

Having said all that, I'll take my duck commander DVDs all day!

rckt40
12-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Not really a favorite, I enjoy most shows that are primarily deer related. Lee & Tiffany, Whitetail Freaks to name a few. I can't stand Jim Shockey .... that guy is nuttier than squirrel turds !!

ajupsman
12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Not sure if I'd say he's my favorite but Ted Nugent sure is entertaining. You never know what he's going to say. I too like Bill Winke. Not sure of their names but I like the guys on Heartland Bowhunter. I also like the show MeatEater. I like how he cooks his kill in the field. I don't really have a least favorite but I don't like the shows that just show the kill shots. I like knowing about the area hunted and the scouting that was done.

blackbeard
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Favorites- Bill Weinke, Roger Raglin, Ted Nugent, Jim Shockey, Jim Shockey's Dad!, Tiffany

Least Favorites- Stan Potts, Drury Brothers, Lee, most of them

BowGuy2
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
My favorite hunter is Stan Potts and I hate Jim shocky with a passion lol!

archerymurray
12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Barry and Gene Wensel hands down.. Two of the best whitetail genius's in the country.. Look them up .. Brothersofthebow.com.. Read their books, you won't be sorry

teej89
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Least Favorites- Stan Potts, Drury Brothers, Lee, most of them

Thank you! haha

mrbb
12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
well I cannot say I have a favorite at all, really don't watch a lot of the shows, to me too many are spoiled set up hunts, and not what the average hunter gets to experience
if I had to pick a least fav I would go with Gregg Ritz , and I am going to say that because I happen to have had a few conversations with him, that he straight up lied to me on subjects
and I will also agree about Larry Wieshuhn, I have seen this guy shoot at so many things he misses with hand guns and makes up excuses over just blowing shots
I mean if you want to hunt with any weapon, he seems to favor handguns, I'm fine with it, but to miss as much as I have seen him, makes me wonder if he should be shooting at live animals like he does! ??
my 2 cents

00buck
12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
the guys on tree stand buddys game on not sure on there names do alot of hunting in and around ohio

ManOfTheFall
12-05-2012, 05:14 AM
I do like the Drury's shows and I like Stan Potts and Greg Miller. I don't care much for Bill Jordan and his whole crew. My family and I met Chris Brackett in person and spent the whole day on his boat doing some Extreme Aerial Bow Fishing. That was simply the best day of vacation my family ever had. I will be meeting up with Chris again this summer. One great local team here in Ohio is the Slunger Hollow Boys. You should really check out their video's. They are very comparable to us blue collar guys that work jobs and hunt when we can.

PlayTheWindMike
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey!!!!!! what do you mean Stan is an old fart! Him and I are about the same age. LOL. Thats probably why he is my favorite, and I don't think he over acts either. Us old guys have a wealth of knowledge, one of these days you'll realize that. Wait till you guys are in your upper 50's and lower 60's and see if you don't get excited when you realize you can still kill deer with a bow at that age. My least favorite would be David Blanton. Watched a Realtree video once and he clearly hit the deer in the neck and they passed it off as a good shot and replaced the deer. With running the shot in slow motion many times it was very evident where he hit it, and looking at the rack on the deer they "found" the brow tines were different. Just admit you made a bad shot and teach people how not to do it. Probably why I don't like too many hunting shows or videos.

LMAO....I didn't see that but I believe ya......sounds hillarious

radicalxl
12-05-2012, 06:26 PM
To you guys that think some of the shows are no good because they take hunters around the country and put them on deer. I agree with most. Do you think any of these guys, Fitzgerald, Foulkrod, Potts, as "OLD" as they are, just may have done some hunting before videos were so popular? And maybe, just maybe, they had the skills and the talent to be beneficial for these video companies. Just sayin.

mrbb
12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
well I am sure many of the guys have skills
I just think many are just lucky to have sponcers wiling to supply them with top shelf equipment, and placing them in prime places
takes a learning curve out of teh picture same goes for them taking kids and well women to prime places , and thats all they seem to know /experienced, and then they talk about it like they are highly skilled?? , maybe at shooting and being on TYV< but to me, thats not hunting in the real world!, or learning the skills it takes to do it on your own!
and it bothers me to hear them cry about being in a stand for 4 or 5 days and not killing a bucks yet
its that and the fact, from many of the shows I seen they call so many deer they kill MATURE bucks, just to sound like they did, wehen an experienced hunetr can plainly see they didn't!
last day of hunts are prime for this, and same goes for them that miss judge
I would really like to see more honest info being given
I get its a hunting show and they need to make kills on camera
fine, just don't bullcrap us about what they did
and quit crying about hunting a few days and not making a kill
far too many real hunters go all season without a kill, and don't cry as much!
maybe cause many die hard hunters hunt because they just plain enjoy it and don't feel the need to blow things out of proportion

so do some of them have skills, SURE
but how long after being set up, by others,
do you loose your skills??
pro atheletes don't magically stay in shape if they stop doing all the hard work!

blackbeard
12-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Actually my favorite professional hunter is BIG HOLLA. Now that guy knows how to put'em down!

teej89
12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
i guess my biggest beef with these "professional" hunters are if you make a bad shot bub, just say you did. You'll see em gut shot a deer and the guy will be fist pumping and doing cart wheels in his stand and say how he "thinks" it's a good shot when clearly it wasn't. Then when you see him with the deer the thing is stiff as a board and they say oh it was getting dark so we decided to let him lay, and they don't tell you bout the mob they brought in the next morning to scour for the deer. Yeah it's great they recover it but with DVR today we the viewer can slow down the show and watch the shot closely, so if it's a bad shot, don't sugar coat it, it happens.

packerfan1094
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Least favorite: Stan Potts. Every time he shoots a deer I think he's either gonna have a heart attack or a stroke.
Don't really have a favorite but I like that guy that does the on your own hunts.
My biggest beef with all the shows is I'm so friggen tired of hearing the phrase "mature dominant buck". Its like every other sentence. Just call it a buck already and stop trying to dress it up so much. We all know what we should shoot and don't need to be reminded fifty times in a thirty minute show.

Big_Holla
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Plain old getting tired of a lot of the hunting shows these days. Any show that is behind a fence and they try to pawn it off as a fair chase get's my vote for worst personality. Shocking what shows actually do this and don't tell you. Big ego's are a big turn off too and I am certainly listening when I hear members say who treated them poorly.

Good shows/personalities well so far I would say I enjoy the Dropped - Project series with the Keefer's. The last one was Dropped Project Alaska and after the New Year it's Dropped Project Yukon. Guess it's more entertainment for me and showing what really happens to them along their journey. Just something different than all these shows "mine is bigger than yours'. They also have their other show Back Country Quest that isn't too bad so far.

Seeker Bp
12-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Have to say Lee and Tiffany are my favorites, try not to watch much TV! They are not High fence hunters, And they are not afraid to share there hunting grounds with there friends. They put alot of work into making there farms very huntable.

And lets face it, she is much better to look at than anyone I have ever hunted with, even you Frasca!! LOL !

Used to watch Chris Brackett too, but when he started with the " BOOYAH" trademark, I couldnt take it anymore. "BOOYAH"

blackbeard
12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I can't believe so many people like Stan Potts, but so does my brother so maybe its just me that thinks Stan is freaking annoying!....Its only a big buck Stan, you shoot several of them every year, you can't really be that darn excited about it!

packerfan1094
12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I can't believe so many people like Stan Potts, but so does my brother so maybe its just me that thinks Stan is freaking annoying!....Its only a big buck Stan, you shoot several of them every year, you can't really be that darn excited about it!

I'm right there with you. I refuse to watch any show he's involved in.

dangerousoldman
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I always thought Jim Shockey was pretty cool. He seems sincere and does it the hard way a lot. Sometimes the excitement shows in his eyes and he seems like a guy that is down to earth. The guy on Macmillan outdoors and another guy that always hunts deer farms and tries to justify it as real hunting (forgot his name) just kinda make me sick....

Big_Holla
12-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Actually my favorite professional hunter is BIG HOLLA. Now that guy knows how to put'em down!

NO, yer MY Idol!!!!

LMAO just spotted that one!! Well, you have done much better in the past several years than I have that's for sure!!

teej89
12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I forgot a good one who's up there with my favorites, jay Gregory from the wild outdoors. He's great, always taking his kids out and he shows his seasons mishaps As well as his success, and he really is all about getting his kids opportunities.

I was watching a show of a guy gun hunting during his 3 year old sons BIRTHDAY! Haha what a great dad... He did give a shout out for his kid saying he wished he coulda been there and that this deer is for him (his son he means).

nomad_archer
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
So I dont care for any of them anymore. To much crap about mature bucks and product sponsers. I would be happy to get one of the bucks they have gotten on these showes once in my life.

teej89
12-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Another one I forgot, he typically doesn't hunt whitetail but hes a big elk/muledeer hunter, and he archery hunts for them. His name is Randy Newberg from On Your Own Adventures. He only hunts public land and does it all himself it's really cool, he doesn't always get one every episode but it's really enjoyable to watch.

sano888
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I watched a show the other day, maybe Buck Commander, where this big muscle headed guy with his face smudged with black shoots a deer and says, "Yeah, I ruined his day!" I haven't been hunting long but never once have I thought of it as ruining a deer's day. What a moron.

packerfan1094
12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
That wasn't buck commander but I know who your talking about. He's some weight lifter mma fighter.

rednecklb69
12-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Your talking about the main guy in wildlife pursuit i think. The wife and I think all hunting shows need to compare to the Drurys. They have a great group of guys. I also like watching buck commander, pigman and meat eater. I like screwing around and not taking life so serious so thats why i like pigman and buck commander.

forestman
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I don`t watch much of the hunting on TV because most of it is like a fairytale compared to my hunting.When I do watch anything I like Fred Eichler.I think the wrost one is Keith Warren.He couldn`t kill anything if it wasn`t in a fence.

radicalxl
12-10-2012, 06:04 AM
I agree on the Keith Warren. He was the other guy I never liked but couldn't remember his name. All he is good for is to advertise and endorse foreign products.

MICH
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM

DUDE.....your getting a new handle,like...CAMOFACE, whats up with new pic? lol..also, 1 more bill winke, enjoy him too

gonehunting 45
12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I like the Parker's about the only 1 I watch

hortontoter
12-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm terrible with names, but Stan Potts is one of my favorites.

My least favorite is the guy that does the urban hunts around Columbus, his name eludes me though.

Griz
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm terrible with names, but Stan Potts is one of my favorites.

My least favorite is the guy that does the urban hunts around Columbus, his name eludes me though.

i believe its Outdoor America with Steve Gruber and his side kick Millis. I meet them once at a trade show and was surprised at what a good guy is was and Millis is just a riot.

teej89
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I typically skip watching this show cuz they do a lot of fishing but I watched it today cuz it was turkey hunting with a bow. It's called Jimmy Bigtime and these guys are idiots and hilarious hahaha I couldn't stop laughing

MQ1
12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Fred Bear would be my favorite, He started it all and brought a true reprosentation of us as sportsman.

ernie
12-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Not sure about my favorite... Waddell would have to rank up there somewhere.

Definitely the worse show on TV is Wildgamenation... and it's not even close in my opinion.

terryu80
12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I do like the Drury's shows and I like Stan Potts and Greg Miller. I don't care much for Bill Jordan and his whole crew. My family and I met Chris Brackett in person and spent the whole day on his boat doing some Extreme Aerial Bow Fishing. That was simply the best day of vacation my family ever had. I will be meeting up with Chris again this summer. One great local team here in Ohio is the Slunger Hollow Boys. You should really check out their video's. They are very comparable to us blue collar guys that work jobs and hunt when we can.

Ya I love the Slunger Hollow guys...I can barely make through any 30min show on tv bc it seems so staged ...but their videos I can watch over and over. I talk to them at deer and Turkey expo every year and they are pretty cool plus their DVDs are cheap!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

terryu80
12-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I would have to go with Tom Miranda...as one of the guys I like also Uncle Ted bc everything is a trophy to him aswell as Fitzgeralds grew up in the 90s watching those goofballs.guys I don't like Andy Ross..tries to much to be a bada$$ rock star with his stupid pick and stick saying every other sentence. Also can't stand the wildgame innovations morons..big bill is a big retard and the oldest boy is juicing roids so much that I'm surprised he don't hunt shirtless..plus their products are trash aswell as there customer service.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2