PDA

View Full Version : Guns, fine. Trash...this is why I don't like gun season

SSpengSS
11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I know a lot of guys that bowhunt don't like gun season for all the obvious reasons...generally speaking I'm one of those guys. However, I work a corporate job in a major central ohio healthcare organization and I've learned to tolerate other beliefs and not fret over things I can't control. So I get both sides of the story.

Having said that, I will, on rare occassion, break out my remington 870, and hunt just like I would with my bow. Again, if you only hunt during shotgun season and do deer drives the entire time, I get that.

The only thing that really jerks me the wrong way is this....

Every year I find trash in, on, and around my treestands as well as the rest of the property. I'm fortunate to hunt this dream of private property, but come gun season, it turns into a garbage dump. You name it...cigarettes, dip cans, bottles, cans, food wrappers, hunting scents, I can go on and on.

I leave a property better than I found it, and I just don't understand why these disrespectful slobs trash the place. I find more trash on this property in one week than I find there the rest of the year.

Not much the landowner can do...he's elderly and although it upsets him, it's hard for him to do anything if he is not catching them in the act. The guys he allows to hunt during gun season worked for him in the past or are relation and I know he doesn't have the heart to tell them "no", because he really does want them to enjoy the outdoors. Only me and another guy hunt during bow season, and we are dedicated diehards that practice scent control to the max, shoot on a regular basis, and are selective to the point of fault.

I can deal with deer being spooked and changing patterns because of gun season and the shock it brings, but I've decided I'm going to rip my stands down and only use my climber or hunt from the ground. I'm sick of these disrespectful, littering "outdoorsmen" getting a free seat in my stands and not having the courtesy to haul their trash out.

It's pathetic. If you are one of those guys that leaves your trash and you're reading this, think about it next time and haul your junk out. If you want respect, you need to give it. Do the right thing.

Stay safe, have fun, enjoy the hunt, and RESPECT NATURE. It's a privilage so don't abuse it.

cueball
11-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Well said.
That is pretty much why I got into bowhunting roughly 26 years ago. That is, to disassociate myself from the disrespectful, littering, thieving, tresspassing , etc. types while enjoying and respecting nature. Unfortunately, I now see this type of behavior with many bowhunters as well. I guess the more people that get out into the woods, the more likely you are to find the disrespectful trashy type people who just don't GET IT no matter what type of weapon they use.
Unfortunately our planet is populated with a high percentage of disrespectful, uneducated trash. And some are out there bowhunting as well as gunhunting, as well as reproducing. I'm rambling....................This country (and planet) is headed down the crapper.......'nuf said.
I'll keep enjoying it and respecting it and wishing everbody "got it" until I'm buried in it. And I hope to spend as much time as possible with the ones who "Get It".

ohiofirelt
12-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Amen brother.
When I bought my property, the grandson of the old man I bought it from lived nearby and asked if he could continue to hunt here like he had his entire life. I gave permission but I continually had to pick up the trash he left behind. I like my woods to stay pristine and I get a lot of enjoyment spending time there. I had a talk with him about leaving his trash and he assured me it wouldn't happen again. After the following gun season I again found his food wrappers and drink bottles littered around the places he sat and I told him to get back there and clean it up or he wouldn't be welcome to hunt here again. I finally had to pick it up myself sometime later, he doesn't hunt here any more.

Seeker Bp
12-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Cueball, I could not agree more with your comments. Its a small contigency of people who have those values. We are way outnumbered by people who do not even think twice before they throw their trash out a window or down on the ground. They walk through life like its their own personal dumpster. Values and morals are taught, so it says alot about the times we grew up in compared to now. I will not tolerate a litterer, And I will speak up when I see it happen... Bowhunting Rocks!!

So.OHsalesman
12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I must be one out of many then lol. I'm 24 yo and my huntin buddy is 32 yo. It sucks that most "hunters" in my age group are disrespectful and have zero ethics. We are freaks about scent, trash, maintaining my Uncle's properties we hunt on bc we are thankful for the opportunity and his good graces. The bad thing is that most older people have a bad view of my age group bc the way most of them act. So I hope some of the older hunters realize that there are still good, ethical hunters out there. I was raised that way and I will teach my daughter those same principles. Love the sport, respect the game, be ethical, be safe, and pass on the passion. I will always live by those principles. Just wish more young hunters did the same.

radicalxl
12-01-2012, 10:31 AM
If you don't study history and learn about it, your doomed to repeat it. My dad's generation, he passed away 2 years ago at 96, were very bad at littering, they thought nothing of it. Many times I've seen people tossing trash out of cars (including my dad) and my uncle (the one who taught me to hunt) throw stuff in the woods when I was a kid. Then came the ad on TV with the crying indian surrounded by trash in his great outdoors. We got it. People need to be educated again as we were. Maybe they need to start runnning that ad again because history IS repeating itself.

hortontoter
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The Indian ad was always one of my favorites. Very few ads on TV have any meaning. That one sent the message loud and clear. To bad everybody didn't "get it".

cueball
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow radicalxl and hortontoter........... I had completely forgotten about that commercial until you just mentioned it. And I can visualize it perfectly right now. Maybe that IS something that has stuck in the back of my mind all these years!?!?!?

Seeker Bp
12-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I was just a boy when the Indian commercial was playing. it was always on when Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom was on.

BowGuy2
12-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Gun season smh :/

MICH
12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
i bet the bow hunters on here never dropped any thing in the woods,,,,,you know, i think compound bow guys should start bitchen about the x-bow hunters out there......b/c one can site in a x-bow then his wife can take it out and shoot a booner an hour later, stop COMPLAINING about other means of deer hunting.....GO AFTER THE PETA FOLKS,if you need something to do

Seeker Bp
12-02-2012, 07:30 AM
The conversation on this thread is about litter!! No one pointing a finger at the X bow, Gun, or compound Hunters!! Its about all in general who dont know how to clean up after themselves. Maybe this has hit a nerve with some!! There is already a Thread on the forum for bashing each other, use that one.

rednecklb69
12-02-2012, 07:36 AM
I hate people who hunt with crossbows and guns. They dont have to scout and there is no strategy involved. You just go out to the woods and deer come to you and they never ever miss. Its totally not fair.

Seeker Bp
12-02-2012, 07:44 AM
HA HA its almost like a Child Daycare around here!! Would you please just go play with your building blocks and get along! :)

Stonegod
12-02-2012, 08:32 AM
The conversation on this thread is about litter!! No one pointing a finger at the X bow, Gun, or compound Hunters!! Its about all in general who dont know how to clean up after themselves. Maybe this has hit a nerve with some!! There is already a Thread on the forum for bashing each other, use that one.

And we've been getting along so well lately seeker.lol.......actually the OP sounds like he's insinuating that gun hunters are some littering up our woods more than other type of hunters......but like you I think this whole thing is childish.....but that's why I spend most of my time on a different site.....they simply don't put up with this crap.

Seeker Bp
12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes Stonegod, would much rather get along than bicker back and forth. But in a Forum disscussion it is definatly hard to get everyone to do that because everyone has an opinion. Your other site must have a limited amout of members if you all have the same opinions.. How do they control the opinions of those that do not agree with others?? Bashing BHO isnt going to help it! How about some constructive criticism on a PM. There are several Members on here that care about the site and the people who enjoy being on here, I being one of them. Civil conversation will go a long way with the right approach.

MICH
12-02-2012, 09:45 AM
hey, this would of been a better way to start this thread, I HATE HUNTERS THAT LITTER.....been a better way to get your point across

Deerhunter
12-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey Guys lets keep this on topic and not bash each others style of hunting.
Its a forum for discussion and this topic was on Littering that was happening during gun season.

If it keeps going this way we will shut this tread down so please keep it to topic and no bashing each other please.

Big_Holla
12-02-2012, 10:25 AM
hey, this would of been a better way to start this thread, I HATE HUNTERS THAT LITTER.....been a better way to get your point across

Exactly MICH, that's what it surely should be about but some get so wrapped up in pushing their agenda.

Some state land I used to hunt often up here in Mich. during bow season thru gun season I often would be picking up trash, usually every trip out. The thing that sucked was I never had to bring a plastic bag with me to carry it all bec I always found one on the way. Stop griping, start spreading the word and do your part!

packerfan1094
12-02-2012, 10:39 AM
This site is almost better than the Jerry springer show.

SSpengSS
12-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Noted. That would obviously be more accurate.

Gents, I was merely ranting on the fact that there was litter underneath my treestand and on the property I hunt and that every year this directly coincides with gun season because that is the type of disrespectful gun hunters that hunt this specific property during gun season. I would imagine that if they bowhunted this property there would still be trash laying around.

I did not say that I don't like gun hunters. Every person is more than welcome to use whatever legal weapon they see fit to hunt with. JUST DON'T LEAVE TRASH LAYING AROUND (however you hunt) PERIOD.

My personal preference is to bowhunt, because I enjoy the sport of the hunt and the extreme level of difficulty and favorable conditions needed to successfully execute a perfect shot to harvest a mature, trophy buck.

I have no problem with someone using a gun during gun season to take the same trophy buck I am hunting, even with the long, careful, dedicated time and resources I've spent bowhunting since opening day. Trust me when I say I would be very disappointed, but I certainly would get over it. That is out of my control. That's like getting upset if you buy a lottery ticket and lose, but the person right behind you purchases the winning ticket. That is life and you just go on.

There are good hunters and bad hunters regardless of the weapon of choice. Hunt with the weapon you want to hunt with, but do so with courtesy and respect to the property and other hunters that share the same land you hunt.........pick up your trash, be aware of how you are hunting and consider if that might pose issues to other hunters, and if you know someone else hunts that property it would be a good thing to reach out to them and try to get on the same page (yes I've tried this with the other guys who hunt the property during gun season but no response).

I think everyone can agree that what I've said is relavent and true, regardless of how or why you hunt. Go easy on the bashing fellas!

MICH
12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
hey guys, if anything, the people reading this thread that have littered in the past, maybe this help clean up their act?????

SLIDER0906
12-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Im with ya, I hate the trash leaving bs. With the rain the weather was perfect today for still hunting so i took a couple hour walk thru the wayne national forest. I picked up 7 beer cans, 2 pop bottles, and a rash of other crap. I found one spot where someone had pushed off the leaves from a base of the tree to sit and they were kind enough to leave every single individual starburst candy wrapper from the entire pack laying next to their spot. It took me 20 minutes to pick up that A-holes wrappers that he could have just as easily placed back into his pocket. Generally speaking the week long gun warriors give us such all a bad name when it comes to trespassing, etc... its a wonder that any non-hunting landowner lets any of us access their properties. Give thanks to those that do, because its a dying breed.