PDA

View Full Version : Ii don't care as much for gun season...

southeasternohiobowhunter
11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
well don't get me wrong guys i gun hunt every year, and enjoy it, but i do have some dislikes. i was hunting monday morning (opening day) and daylight barely even broke before half of the town was running the woods with 4-wheelers! i couldn't even begin to guess a number on how many hunts were ruined! you hear the 4-wheelers stop then BANG, BANG, BANG. this went on from 7:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. when i decided to leave. i know a lot of the guys that were doing this, and they haven't even hunted 1 day prior to shotgun season. this is what bothers me. they hunt one week a year, and have no consideration for the dedicated hunters that have been putting hrs. in the stand (bowhunting). it's not fair to people that have been scouting, and trailing deer of interest for months. i just don't get it. freakin hillbilly's i guess? i mean come on at least sit a couple hrs. before you go stomping all over the woods, and flying around on your 4-wheeler. thats called "poaching" imho. funny story : 3 cousins were on a 4-wheeler, and they rode the main trails until they spotted a nice buck on top of a ridge. they all jumped off the 4-wheeler and all 3 shot the buck at the same time! the buck was killed, but who claims it now??? well there was an hour long arguing match over who's deer it was lol. 3 cousins (that are so close haha) fighting over a buck lmfao! goes to show what kind of people these are doing these rediculous things. well i'd really like to hear everyone else's opinions/thoughts on this topic!

teej89
11-30-2012, 04:42 PM
See the pumpkin patch thread, it's been to say the least, thoroughly discussed. Sorry to hear bout your hunt tho.

bds9
11-30-2012, 04:44 PM
"Hillbillies"? IMO I'd say that's as far from the truth as possible. Not saying there aren't hillbillies that do this but I consider myself a hillbilly as well as all of my friends and family. And as hillbillies we are taught at a young age on how to hunt. And most of my friends and family bowhunt. IMO it's usually the guys that didn't grow up hunting that do this. I know there are good and bad hunters, just like doctors and lawyers, but usually the ones that have been doing it the longest are better at it.

mrbb
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
well I am a gun hunter, and honestly I like it, if given the chance to gun hnut the rut or bow hunt it, no doubt what I would be carrying
a rifle
But I also love to bow hunt, due to less folks, more natural movements of deer and such

But long before there was bow seasons there was gun season,
so by rights
its bow hunters that are blessed with long seasons and not gun hunters
so to be fair things are already more catered to bow guys
and as a gun hunter, I scout and spend more time in the woods than most hunters do
of either weapon
But to be fait, most guys gun hunt I think more out of tradition, rather than a strong desire to be a die hard hunter
they go out one or two days as its what they were taught, or at least here
heck, even some schools close for opening day here?
so they can go out that one day and maybe on Saturdays and thats it then
so its learned behavior I think LOL
and might be why the die hards all go out of there way to get private lands , by buying leasing or???

BowGuy2
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I know most of u guys have read my posts in threads of me bashing gun hunters and its the bad eggs that are out there that piss me off when gun season comes around and I would just much rather have a bow in hand it's more of a chellenge. Iv taken 1 deer with a gun and I didn get a rush at all not even a little I shot the doe at 7 yards and I was on the ground I have taken over 30 deer with a bow and I'm only 22 years old and I have gotten that amazing rush every time I shot one with a bow its just not fun for me to take one with a gun but who's today that gun hunters don't get that rush so who am I to judge sorry to anyone I offended with me speaking about gun season but everyone must admit that there are a lot of bad eggs that come out during gun season.

mrbb
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Well don't feel you said anything offensive
But I do think its just a percentage thing, say 10% of a 100 bow hunter or 10% of a 1000 gun hunters
Its just seems like more gun guys due to just so many more of them to be seen and they all show up in a small window of time
But, not to be bashing bow hunters, as I am one, and have been for almost 30 yrs
But here in my area, and I get around a lot in the north east of my state
I will sadly say its more Bad Bow hunters here than gun guys, here in bow season trespassing is an all time high, seems to be based on they wear camo, and there is no report/bang from shooting a bow, and it leads too many here into thinking they can get away with a lot more Bad behavior
In the 80S and 90's
Bow hunters all over were banned from many many hunting lands due to how many here just shot arrows at deer, leaving so many to rot
It took yrs and yrs for bow hunting to be seen in good eyes in Pa
And last 5 yrs it seems to be slipping again to the bad
Due to so many again trespassing, and cheating
So many housing development any more have spawned a new breed of back yard poachers here,all the most so with so many folks doing QDM; and these bad bow guys sneaking into lands they don't have permission to hunt on
Again, not bashing all bow hunters, as there are tons of honest die hards out there, but here the larger percentage of bad hunters isn't gun guys, its bow hunters
Just my 2 cents again

12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
MRBB i have no idea where you get your info./facts from lol. bowhunters are definately the more honest/ethical hunters. it's the gun hunters that cheat bud. at least in my area, and state...tell me who's more likely to be hunting with no license/tag? not the guys hunting for months. it's the guys hunting for 1 week of the year. tell me who's more likely to be poaching? the guys with rifles... tell me who's more likely to be stomping the woods like a freak? tell me who's more likely to be running the woods on 4-wheelers ruining everyone's hunts? tell me who crosses more private boundaries? the freaks walking non-stop, and have no consideration for where they go. bowhunters sit for hours and hours at a time in 1 spot doing what you call "hunting". So tell me, who is it???? IT'S THE GUN HUNTERS BROTHA!!!!!!! NOT HARD TO FIGURE OUT, AND THAT'S JUST A FEW FACTS, YOU WANT MORE??? of course you have bad bowhunters, and bad gun hunters but come on where is your majority of illegal acts coming from? GUN HUNTERS DUH!

Big_Holla
12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
NO Southeasterohiobowhunter, I feel the majority of illegal acts come from poachers, thieves and in general people who already do not care for laws in general. Unfortunately gun season gives them better opportunity to try to 'blend in' with other hunters who truly are out there trying to do right. Maybe it then becomes a way for their friends to join in on the bad behavior, who knows. One thing I am willing to bet, those same people are the one's out there stealing trail cameras, treestands, robbing their neighbor, poaching deer with .22's or shotguns or crossbows, etc. during bow season. Why? Because bowseason, squirrel season, duck season (like gun season) gives them the opportunity to 'blend in' again. I don't think most of them wait for one week out of the year to turn evil, they just already are. Am I more correct than you? Who knows, it's just one opinion vs. another but one thing is for sure, I will not label an entire season as being full of bad apples. They're there right now as I type this and it isn't gun season anymore.

Back to the trash problem, you will always have people who have no regard as to what they do with trash. That's why there are always volunteer groups/people that pick up trash along roads, all year long. Not sure about Ohio but up here in Mich. we have volunteer groups that pay to get their name on a sign for a portion of a road telling everyone that they pick up after dirtballs who throw their trash out. Face it, there are those that care and those that don't and I bet it doesn't just happen one week out of the year. Does give them more opportunity to impact something you truly care about though.

mrbb
12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
all I can say is come up to my area
here like I said its bow hunters doing the more evil things, and again I am NOT bashing bow hunters, I am one, there are tons of good one's out there for sure and a ton of them are on this site(good one's that is)
like i said its the fact that the season is longer and the fact like Big holla said they can blend in better,
here again far more guys cheat using a bow than a gun because they can, here in small neighborhoods where safety zones are, and private lands are common and or NO hunting is allowed,
bow guys sneak in all the time,and cheat, wearing camo and using a weapon that makes far less noise, gives them an upper hand!
you simply cannot go in a persons back yard with a rifle and get away as easy as you can with a bow, or in GUN season wearing bl;aze orange!, you just stand out more , between colors worn and the report of a rifle shot!
our local new paper here has many a time written about guys driving around in a van with a guy sitting inside with a bow./crossbow in peoples yards shooting at deer, and if some one see's them they just take off, leaving a deer behind
you want facts
you look into the history of bow hunting in PA, its a FACT, bow hunters were looked down on for yrs and yrs, due to so many that didn't make the effort to recover deer, trespassing and a lot of other things

it toomk a LONG time for it to be accepted here by the majoriety here in PA !

I do not want to turn this into a bitch, as I know
we all love bow hunting and we all hate cheaters, of any weapon, or I know I do
I come from a state with over a million GUN hunters most yrs, and a LOT less bowhunters and thats a FACT,
look it up if you like!
and here again, in PA, I can without a doubt say more bad, SADLY bow guys out there than gun guys!
and if it wasn't so
the public would be wild mad if it was a larger percentage of gun hunters being the bad apples
as the numbers would be just so insane with so many gun hunters here!

and I also agree, most of the bad apples are bad apples all yr and not just in any given season
and I personally feel the same bad bow or gun hunters out there, hunt both seasons too!

and I am GLAD there are more good Honest hunetrs that care than the other way
its what will make our sport last or not!

PlayTheWindMike
12-05-2012, 02:53 PM
What I would like to know is, you said there are good lawyers and bad lawyers, can you name that good lawyer? lmao

Big_Holla
12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
What I would like to know is, you said there are good lawyers and bad lawyers, can you name that good lawyer? lmao

LOL probably can but he's also a politician and is busy at the moment......LOL!

MICH
12-05-2012, 08:57 PM
NO Southeasterohiobowhunter, I feel the majority of illegal acts come from poachers, thieves and in general people who already do not care for laws in general. Unfortunately gun season gives them better opportunity to try to 'blend in' with other hunters who truly are out there trying to do right. Maybe it then becomes a way for their friends to join in on the bad behavior, who knows. One thing I am willing to bet, those same people are the one's out there stealing trail cameras, treestands, robbing their neighbor, poaching deer with .22's or shotguns or crossbows, etc. during bow season. Why? Because bowseason, squirrel season, duck season (like gun season) gives them the opportunity to 'blend in' again. I don't think most of them wait for one week out of the year to turn evil, they just already are. Am I more correct than you? Who knows, it's just one opinion vs. another but one thing is for sure, I will not label an entire season as being full of bad apples. They're there right now as I type this and it isn't gun season anymore.

Back to the trash problem, you will always have people who have no regard as to what they do with trash. That's why there are always volunteer groups/people that pick up trash along roads, all year long. Not sure about Ohio but up here in Mich. we have volunteer groups that pay to get their name on a sign for a portion of a road telling everyone that they pick up after dirtballs who throw their trash out. Face it, there are those that care and those that don't and I bet it doesn't just happen one week out of the year. Does give them more opportunity to impact something you truly care about though.

well said B.H., for the other guys you are argueing with TWO very respected hunters of is site, its your OPINION which one ( bow or gun hunter ) is a better HOBBY

bds9
12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Maybe that wasn't the best analogy! Lets say Good Doctors and good....fisherman!!

12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
mrbb ok i must say things are just very much different in our areas. sorry if i crossed you in any way. i apologize...but i've been hunting for many years, and have been around hunters my entire life, and to me (my personal opinion) the guys that favor bowhunting (also gun hunters though) seem to be more ethical/truthful hunters. like i said though sorry to any1 i offended, but im just being honest, and hey thats what this site is for right...to express opinions, learn useful info., have a little fun, ext.

mrbb
12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
don't worry wasn't offended at all
I too am a long time bow hunter
and here when I started bow hunting, it was tons harder to get access if you asked to bow hunt than gun hunt, bow hunbters were frowned apon for yrs
just like the big wars over compound bows, it took a long time for bow hunters to be accepted here
and for a while here it was real good,
but for some reason, for a bunch of yrs its been going the other way
I hunt a lot , 3+ months a yr, for last 20 yrs, and all over many states too
and pending what state it goes either way I think
Ohio was mostly a bow /shotgun state
and I think that helps give bow hunters a better view there, and seems like more up on the level hunters!

but here in a forever long rifle state(PA)
when bow hunters stared to get popular, sadly many gun guys, just seen it as a way to kill a deer without others knowing they did, no noise of a dhot and could hunt places they couldn't with a gun, and even then, many deer didn't look up in tree's where bow hunters started to hunt from!
and
as many had the woods to themself, as archery hunter numbers were low,
as to wooded acres to hunt per hunter, odds of getting caught was low!
and that lead to a bad rep
also
but as bow hunter numbers increased, as a whole,
more I think , reason wise, to allowi gun guns a longer /better chance
at killing a buck, having a longer BOW season! more took it up without learning how to bow hunt, just bought bows and arrows and went out there and shot at deer!
they started shooting at things they shouldn't , taking shots they shouldn't,
and left a lot of cripples for land owners to find
and that gave them a bad rep, even more so!
or sure didn't help
tand o the honest hard working ones that are out there, even harder on them!

and then it really took a lot of work to get that view to change
the farm I am on now, was a dairy cow farm, and things got so bad here in the late 90's
they banned bow hunters, like many other farms here I knew of
due to how many deer farmers would find with arrow still in them walking about , or cows getting shot , arrows left in fields and the likes
it took a lot of convincing for me to get access to this place, to show, not all bow hunters were like that
and other lands I hunted here!

and for about 7-8 yrs things were good
but last 2-3 yrs, its been drifting back to the other way sadly
I hunt and have lots of bow hunting friends in about 16 counties here in PA, and many tell me the same thing
and its sad
even local new papers run stories about illegal bow shootings of deer in local yards and housing developments, compounding things!

As a couple bad apples can make a lot of good ones look bad real quick
and its a lot harder to change a bad rep to good,
than from good to bad!
people always seem to remember the bad things better !!

and like I said before, to me its a percentage game more or less
when your gun hunters out number your bow hunters
it will always seem like gun guys are the bad apples to many
cause there just that more based on percentage at once out there!

I honestly don't think any of the die hards are the bad apples
but again, on percentage wise of how many are die hards as to weekend warriors
them weekend warriors always rule the masses!!

12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
i agree with many of your points, and man that sure is sad for the PA die hards! i feel for yall...

mrbb
12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
yea it can be a royal pain in the butt
all the more so when bad ones' hunt close to you, and it makes you look like one of them to the non hunters that don't know there are good ones out here!

12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
that happens in my area sometimes during shotgun season, and pisses you off lol....but hey thats why i take bowhunting so serious, because its pretty much the only time i can hunt in peace!

PlayTheWindMike
12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Sounds to me like PA bow hunters are on an uphill fight over there. Makes me feel better that the farmer let's me manage who hunts on the property and what goes on there, I feel fortunate compared to your situation