PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Calling

tim1676
11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Can anyone give me their two cents on late season calling, what and what not to do. And also what has worked in the past for you...

Thanks

BowGuy2
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I for one don't call in the late season I I have yet to kill a buck I put out a corn pile normally around 150 lbs and put out a trail camera. I have found it is pretty much impossible to pattern a deer but they get more predictable in the late season when it's to cold for everyone els to be out putting pressure on the deer so all I do is put out a corn pile put a trail cam out watching that corn and wait it out and let the trail cam do the hunting for u for the first week or 2.and once u have a idea on what time there showing up and what's showing up that's when u either hunt it or move to another location to try and get a pattern on the deer u wan to kill.

Big_Holla
11-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Keep in mind that every Joe hunter in the woods this week (and past month) has a grunt call or two in their pack and many out of desperation likely have been playing it like an instrument. May do more harm than good for a while anyways. By the time they may not associate the call with a hunter it would be well after any rutting activity so maybe soft fawn or doe bleats would be best.

Cheif
11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I for one don't call in the late season I I have yet to kill a buck I put out a corn pile normally around 150 lbs and put out a trail camera. I have found it is pretty much impossible to pattern a deer but they get more predictable in the late season when it's to cold for everyone els to be out putting pressure on the deer so all I do is put out a corn pile put a trail cam out watching that corn and wait it out and let the trail cam do the hunting for u for the first week or 2.and once u have a idea on what time there showing up and what's showing up that's when u either hunt it or move to another location to try and get a pattern on the deer u wan to kill.
Ok will you put all that corn out at one time so that you do not have to keep going to the food source to replenish?? This makes alot of sense. I dont think I am going out through gun season but come monday next week, I think this is what I am going to do. First I want to see if the big one I have been tracking is still around because that the one I want as my first bow kill. (call me greedy or extremely patient) and I just want to see how their patterns are going to change going into december. I took my trail cam down through gun season just because of all the people that are going to be out and about in the woods. I know those things get stolen like crazy.

Cheif
11-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Tim-- I had a buddy tell me that it may be a good idea to quit the calling all together for awhile. Because there have been so much calling going on right now with so many hunters out in the woods lately. It may be better just to plan a quiet entrance and quiet exit and just be a total surprise to them when your ready to take that shot. Because blowing the wrong call at the wrong time can just give them a heads up that something is not right about the area. they may create an assocaition with that sound and that feeling for the area and not come back for awhile. Not sure if this helps but This is what I plan on doing when i get back into the woods next week.

whodey1966
11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
I have hunted late season many times, and I don't use a call at all. I have only had luck with calls during the rut, and that has been hit or miss.

teej89
11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
^^^^^^agreed with everyone. Drop the calls and pattern them, cuz of the cold temps they're forced to feed, and because of the hunting pressure they may hit your corn at night so try and get them on the way back to the bedding area in the morning or from the bedding area in the evening. As said above tho, throw up some cams and see if you can pattern them.

Good luck!

mrbb
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
well in late season, I only carry a call for if MAYBE i see something and its walking away to try to get it to maybe turn around
tonight I had 5 bucks in a food plot sparring for over an hr, playful sparring, but sure was good to see the show
so rattling could work I guess
would really think it comes down to pressure and buck to doe ratio's

radicalxl
11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll give you my opinion in a little different way. You can grunt, bleat, rattle, snort, or you could just yell at the top of you lungs, here deer, here deer, they'll all work about the same.

zmax
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
No calling for me, Urban bowhunting speaking. Just lots of the golden stuff after gun season.

tim1676
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll give you my opinion in a little different way. You can grunt, bleat, rattle, snort, or you could just yell at the top of you lungs, here deer, here deer, they'll all work about the same.

????? I don't get it

teej89
11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
????? I don't get it

I think he's trying to say don't call? haha and that's funny cuz when my brother calls me and if it's a slow day in the woods I'll pick up. I give the ole whisper "hey" and he'll scream "run bambi run!!!!" haha!

and man that's a lot of corn

radicalxl
11-29-2012, 05:56 PM
????? I don't get it

Yes I mean don't call at all. I'm just a smart assed old man. You have to take me with a grain of salt sometimes.

BowGuy2
11-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Where I hunt there are a lot of deer I have up out a 50 lbs bag of corn around noon and the next Mornin I go to hunt and all the corn is gone. So that much corn is a must for me

tim1676
11-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Yes I mean don't call at all. I'm just a smart assed old man. You have to take me with a grain of salt sometimes.

Got it...no problem

PlayTheWindMike
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I was in stand after gun season last year. Did not call, but I did get where the does were running, let them go through and waited, 5 or 10 minutes after the does had gone this one come in on the same path and same direction. No calling