PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin patch

BowGuy2
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Good luck to all the bow guys going out with there bow this week and the guys who will be sitting just like they were bow hunting but with a gun. For those of u dogging every deer in Ohio I'm sure u no what I have to say about that but EVERYONE stay safe

teej89
11-25-2012, 08:20 PM
For those of u dogging every deer in Ohio I'm sure u no what I have to say about that

you too man, once I started reading this I knew there was going to be some sort of comment thrown in there hahaha

z7hunter11
11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Couldnt agree more....this week is the most frustrating week for the real hunters who put there time in scouting and in a treestand. Burns me up when i see some scab wearing carhartt gear holding the antlers of a nice buck. Knowing theirs no chance in hell he kills that deer outside of gun season. Cant wait for it to be over!!!!

ghunter
11-28-2012, 09:13 PM
So just because i am carrying a gun this week doesn't mean I'm a "real" hunter?

whodey1966
11-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Yeah I agree Ghunter. I don't gun hunt. And I have been Bow hunting since the early 90's. That doesn't make me a real hunter. Lot of bad so called Bow Hunters out in the woods too.

BowGuy2
11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
There is a fine line between a hunter and a 3 day a year hunter the 3 day a year hunter has no f****** clue what th deer are doing that year there movement there bedding any of that. For instance on the proporty I just there is a ol oil pump not used any more and a road from the gamers drove way that leads to the oil pump and its Crp all around the oil pump well the deer bed in there. There is always a deer beded somewhere in the Crp bc it's so big. I have a stand hung over looking it and I watched 7 doe be down in there yesterday evening while bow hunting about 430 this dumb a** pulles down the lane and into te Crp and parks there well needless to say I watched the 7 doe and 6 other deer jump out of the Crp running as soon as he pulled in. I got my bow string on my bow watched the guy get out of his truck about 40 yards from me he was clueless I was there so I le my bow down got my backpack on and yelled out to him atta boy week warrior. Got down he walked over and said he didn't see me. And I said that's how it's suppose to be. Then I continued to tell him if he would hunt more than 1 week a year maybe he would no that that was a bedding area. He then asks where's a good spot to sit I said on the couch were u have been all year and told him I'm not doing ur homework for u. By this time I'm at my truck he turns around and stomps off. Idc who I offend gun season is stupid and I hate it bc of all the bad eggs that come out during gun season

ajupsman
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Good luck to all the bow guys going out with there bow this week and the guys who will be sitting just like they were bow hunting but with a gun. For those of u dogging every deer in Ohio I'm sure u no what I have to say about that but EVERYONE stay safe

Ohio has it right though when it comes to gun season. You guys have a short season that is after the peak rut in normal years. Here in NH it goes for almost 4 weeks (11/14 - 12/9 this year), it is preceded by a week and a half of muzzleloader, and rifles are allowed. By Thanksgiving every deer in the woods is on high alert and I'm pretty sure most go nocturnal. I still gun hunt a little but every year I dislike it even more. Last year there was a guy shot and killed a few miles from my house and that really got my nerves jumping every time I heard a gun shot. One of the main reason I like hunting in your state is that 90% of your season is archery only. I wish other states would follow suit. Archery is a lot more difficult and that alone would weed out most of the knuckleheads.

whodey1966
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I guess what people call "real hunters" differs from each person, I myself don't use trail cameras, put out corn or some other kind of bait and then figure when the deer are visiting the bait and try and kill one. Is that a real hunter? I try and do it all the old fashioned way, I don't buy lures, or scentloc clothing, or hardly ever use any type of call. I just scout and try and figure out when and where the deer are in my area. Am I a "real Hunter"?? This is just the way I choose to go about it.

hortontoter
11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Everybody has a different thought as to how one should hunt. There are some very good hunters that only hunt with guns. I haven't gun hunted for a few years, but am considering trying a ML, a .410 shotgun or a handgun next season. I've hunted deer in most ways they can be hunted other than from a tree. Most of my bowhunting is now done from a pop up or a permanant box stand. To some that may not be "real hunting" but it works for me. The fella below took this buck on Monday morning from a permanant box stand at my property. He only gun hunts, but is a very educated deer hunter.

MICH
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
hey guys, i love bow hunting, rather bow hunt any day, BUT i made it out twice in michigan & 6 days in ohio,if i cannt get it done with a bow, i use a gun, so what does that make me????? OH, i should also tell you i have 3 kids in 3 sports each not to mention after school events........not all of us can hunt every day!!!!!! i did get a 10pt nov.8 near otway,1st ohio buc

z7hunter11
11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
To clarify my statement...i wasn't singling out all gun hunters nor was i saying all bow hunters are good. The facts are gun season brings out some of the worst so called "hunters" i have ever seen. The guy that wakes up opening day stumbles into the woods with no regard or clue whats going on around him gets lucky on a deer being pushed by other so called hunters already on there feet or doing deer drives at 8:30 in the morning. Then i get pics and text of another monster being killed by a guy wearing carharts with oil stains all over. And we all know there's no way in hell he harvest that deer outside of gun season. Everybody has there own beliefs and ways of scouting, baiting and scent control and thats fine at least your out putting some time and preparation into your hunts. Those are the "REAL HUNTERS" in my eyes so to all hunters whether it be bow or gun who are respectful of other people and this great sport good luck the rest of the season and stay safe out there.

hortontoter
11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I would agree that many gun hunters do depend a lot on Lady Luck. And seems she is in many places during gun season. I wish she would visit me more in bow season.

Stonegod
11-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Well here's my two cents worth......some of the "strictly bow hunters" on here have got to get their bows out of the butts and get over their elitist attitudes. Bow hunters are no better or worst on average than a gun hunter or a crossbow hunter and I'm getting sick and tired of hearing certain guys who "strictly bow hunt" think they should be the only ones out there pursuing deer, because their method of hunting is so noble. You guys have no more fuzz on your nuts than the next guy.

teej89
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Well here's my two cents worth......some of the "strictly bow hunters" on here have got to get their bows out of the butts and get over their elitist attitudes. Bow hunters are no better or worst on average than a gun hunter or a crossbow hunter and I'm getting sick and tired of hearing certain guys who "strictly bow hunt" think they should be the only ones out there pursuing deer, because their method of hunting is so noble. You guys have no more fuzz on your nuts than the next guy.

^^^^^^^^ agreed

They're not you're deer, when gun season comes in as long as they aren't trespassing, everyone has equal rights. And a real hunter knows how to take advantage of gun season by knowing how to change your hunting tactics with the change of the deer pattern. Yes there are lucky guys out there and it bugs me a little but oh we'll it's hunting, we need to overcome all the elements, weather, deer, and humans.

Plus it makes my day when I see guys that are my dads age taking their old man out in the woods for gun season, I know one day I'll be that guy taking my dad out and then years down I'll be that old man with my kid (if I have kids if not my nephews will have to do it haha) going out hunting.

Everyone has the right to enjoy the sport, yes some people are @sses but hey we all aren't going to be able to pull a bow back one day. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder.

packerfan1094
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Amen. Couldn't have said it better.

BowGuy2
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Gun season is for people who can sit still long enough to bowhunt ;)

ghunter
11-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Don't get me wrong I LOVE to bow hunt but do to work family and having a 3 year old I really don't make it out as much as I wanted to. However I still had over 40 hours in stand. I have had the worst luck this year but it just drives me to try harder.

I did use a gun yesterday and today. I wasn't successful but I did enjoy my time on stand. I didn't do deer drives or "cheat" in anyway. I didn't mean to get so defensive but there are some really good gun hunters out there and I am proud to call myself one of them.

I did find a cool dead head in a creek that has been there a little while. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/apeneveg.jpg http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/ydemejuz.jpg

OHBooner
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I love gun season. I haven't killed a buck with a gun in 8 years. It's the camaraderie that I like. A lot like duck hunting. There isn't too much socializing in bowhunting. Which is part of what makes bowhunting great. But I'd trade a week a year of incompetent hunters getting lucky for all the benefits.

whodey1966
11-30-2012, 06:09 AM
hey guys, i love bow hunting, rather bow hunt any day, BUT i made it out twice in michigan & 6 days in ohio,if i cannt get it done with a bow, i use a gun, so what does that make me????? OH, i should also tell you i have 3 kids in 3 sports each not to mention after school events........not all of us can hunt every day!!!!!! i did get a 10pt nov.8 near otway,1st ohio buc
Where at near otway? I grew up in scioto county.

whodey1966
11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Amen Brother!!

Big_Holla
11-30-2012, 08:00 AM

I'll be damned...........he sounds like he knows what he's talkin' about!! :biggrinjester: :iagree:

ajupsman
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
To clarify my statement, I have nothing against people who hunt with a gun or any other legal weapon for that matter. I just know here in NH there's a lot more people who gun hunt than bow hunt so that ups the odds on how many knuckleheads you'll see in the woods. I do know some knuckleheads who bow hunt but I don't hear any stories of a hunter getting accidentally shot with a bow. Unfortunately you do hear those stories during gun season. I grew up gun hunting so it's in my blood. I didn't start bow hunting until I was 21. My personal preference for myself and my kids is to bow hunt over gun hunt whenever possible. I find it safer, more challenging and more rewarding when you succeed than gun hunting. Once again that's my PERSONAL opinion. I have nothing against the way others hunt as long as they do it safely, legally and ethically.

Stonegod
11-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I'll be damned...........he sounds like he knows what he's talkin' about!! :biggrinjester: :iagree:

LMAO!!...WHAT!!!.....you're actually agreeing with me??!!!LOL

BowGuy2
11-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Can it be Monday already ?? Gun season best will be EVERYWHERE this weekend

Stonegod
11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Just want to wish all the gun hunters out there good luck this weekend!!

teej89
11-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks you too! Was out hunting does with the bow today and nothing came in range. Going to a different wildlife unit tomorrow with the gun to try and find some potential jalepeno cheese bologna(absolute favorite bologna)

MICH
11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Where at near otway? I grew up in scioto county.
behind hoffer hill bap. church,bought some of linda ross's land.....between otway and rarden

Genesis 9:3
12-01-2012, 07:20 AM
After a year of pitifully unsuccessful shotgun hunting in KY and a year of waiting for my residency to kick in (couldn't afford out of state permit), last year I borrowed a 1970 PSE Pacer from a buddy (who got it at a garage sale for $50). It needed a lot of help, but I went bow hunting... and got nothing with it. Then shotgun season came along... and I got my first buck/deer. Lady luck was with me and I'm sure some of you would grumble if you had seen me struggling to drag my trophy back to my truck. But that memory will live with me forever and I'll never give anybody crap over gun hunting for that reason! I'm proud as a fighting cock over that deer!

My parents, mostly mom, thought I didn't have it in me to shoot a deer... last year I proved them wrong (Thank God!) and I proved to myself I could provide for my family the old school way, going out and getting it. This year I've gotten a lot better at it. The way I see it, shotgun season was the gateway drug for me to get into bow hunting.

The other side of the story is last May when we finished off the meat. That was a bad day... but it also drove home the fact that if I had any chance of providing enough meat this year, it had to be with a bow. I got a new job, and with it my used Bowtech of Craigslist.

There are a lot of idiots wandering around out in the wood with orange on... but that might be because their father/uncle/grandpa never showed them how to do it and they were figuring it out on their own, like me. Heck, my dad got squeamish just looking at my dead deer...

I've not taken offense at what you guys are saying... just asking you not to be narrow minded about it.

Go team Gutpile!

whodey1966
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
behind hoffer hill bap. church,bought some of linda ross's land.....between otway and rarden

Cool! Very good deer hunting in scioto county.

radicalxl
12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Here it is in a nutshell for me. I too used to hunt with about 20 other "idiots" during gun season. This was back before guns being plugged for 3 shells was the law. It sounded like Vietnam most drives. I chose to get away from that style hunting over 30 years ago, but I'm sure most of them are all out this week (moving alot slower because they aren't spring chickens anymore either. LOL) But, just because I chose to get away from it doesn't mean they don't have every right to be there.

PlayTheWindMike
12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
My friends all meet up at the barn gun season Monday morning. Start in on some good whiskey chasing it with ice cold bud light. By the time we hit the woods my one buddy who doesn't bow hunt got to his spot, drunk off is butt and trips accidently shooting his shotgun into the brush and out rolls a 16 point buck that everyone in the county has been bow hunting and could not kill for three years now. My buddy went back to the barn with his 16 point buck and drank some more. The end.

PlayTheWindMike
12-03-2012, 02:37 PM
My story above, interpreted.......relax......I love bow hunting. It sure is fun when gun season rolls around and all the friends can get together at the barn, big pot of deer chili, snacks, stories and have some good old fun. Last time I checked I didn't see anyone here Saturday on tv while I was watchin all the hunting shows. If it wasn't fun none of us would be doing it......let everyone have fun the way they want to and relax....just don't go out there and shoot everything you see. I had a BIG BIG BIG 12 pointer right in front of me 70 yards Monday morning BUT, a house was back in the back drop so, I did not shoot. I still had fun. no deer yet but I'm not giving up

MICH
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Cool! Very good deer hunting in scioto county.

i think any where in the bottom 1/3 of ohio is awesome hunting and great time just being there....

MICH
12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
My friends all meet up at the barn gun season Monday morning. Start in on some good whiskey chasing it with ice cold bud light. By the time we hit the woods my one buddy who doesn't bow hunt got to his spot, drunk off is butt and trips accidently shooting his shotgun into the brush and out rolls a 16 point buck that everyone in the county has been bow hunting and could not kill for three years now. My buddy went back to the barn with his 16 point buck and drank some more. The end.

WOW, good story,??? great ammo from the bowhunts to rip gun hunters MORE, that one you should have kept to your self,,,,,,

hortontoter
12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I believe it was just a joke. I think his follow up post cleared that up.

Griz
12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm going to try and keep this short. My other fellow member from NH is right about how lucky Ohio is to have such a short gun season. NH's is long and we get to use rifles. Yah we have idiots too! But idiots are in every walk of life. From ditch diggers to brain surgeons, even in Washington DC. But I'll bet the percentages are higher in DC !! Bow hunters have some idiots too. As long as any hunter is not braking the law or being unsafe they have every right to be there as you do. I just think we all need to get along. Fighting with each other just makes us weaker. And we are not the majority. I have nothing against any hunter, I wish all of them success. As far as the idiots, maybe we try to give a little advise/help in a way they will listen to it.

PlayTheWindMike
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
WOW, good story,??? great ammo from the bowhunts to rip gun hunters MORE, that one you should have kept to your self,,,,,,

It was sarcasm bro.