PDA

View Full Version : Legal Or Illegal????

Cheif
11-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Lets say that you shoot a deer and it runs onto another persons property??? Is it legal for me to go and retrieve my deer.

rzylkie
11-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Not legal without land owners Permission fine and legal action depends on whether or not the property is posted correctly ,its in the hunting guide. Not sure of the page i dont have one handy.

mrbb
11-24-2012, 11:18 AM
well its always illegal to trespass, even if property isn't posted
here in PA posting land is just a courtesy , and not legally required
it is always up to the person to know where they are at , at all times, failure to do so can lead to fines and possbile other charges too
the LAW states in most states, that in order to be on any lands besides PUBLIC, and lands that you owns< that written permission must be in possesion on you from the land owner!
Failure to do just that is actually against the law in many states
sure its very lax on enforcing that, but its still legally correct

SO yes its illegal 100% in most states
there are a few states that have laws that say you can legally trespass to recover game that is in plain view, but very few!

and NOW it comes down to ethic's
and that is always a loaded questions

I have always said that every effort should be made to recover a kill

there is a LAW called Wanton waste, that is an official is willing to push the issue, and that's a BIG IF!
that can help forse the hand some of a land owner that resuses to allow recovery, but it is seldom ever used

maybe not what you wanted to hear but
I am a land owner and have tons of trespassers every yr so I understand the laws in my home state pretty well

and it truely sucks having people trespass, using and abusing lands you spend your hard erned money on!

radicalxl
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Not legal in Ohio, and they don't have to give you permission to retrieve it either, even if is in plain sight right over the property line. This has happen to a few people on this sight.

blackbeard
11-25-2012, 12:47 PM
ditto, not legal to go on another person's property without permission.

ohiofirelt
11-25-2012, 02:53 PM
As a land owner I would very much appreciate a hunter coming to talk to me first about retrieving a deer he shot that ran onto my place before just going ahead and trespassing. I get people every year trespassing from the public land that borders my property just to drive the deer off my place. If a hunter was ethical and asked permission to get his deer he shot I would absolutely let him.

whodey1966
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
As a land owner I would very much appreciate a hunter coming to talk to me first about retrieving a deer he shot that ran onto my place before just going ahead and trespassing. I get people every year trespassing from the public land that borders my property just to drive the deer off my place. If a hunter was ethical and asked permission to get his deer he shot I would absolutely let him.
I agree 100 percent!

Stonegod
11-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Where I hunt at my brother's he had a guy on thanksgiving come knocking seeking to retrieve a 8pt buck he had shot at last light the previous day but lost it's blood trail in the dark. He shot it two properties down from my bro's, the buck was found by the dock at one of the lakes. My brother back tracked the blood trail to make sure it wasn't shot on his land and then gave the guy permission to retrieve it. Sadly over night the yotes had already gotten to it and tore the crap out of the rear end.

mrbb
11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Where I hunt at my brother's he had a guy on thanksgiving come knocking seeking to retrieve a 8pt buck he had shot at last light the previous day but lost it's blood trail in the dark. He shot it two properties down from my bro's, the buck was found by the dock at one of the lakes. My brother back tracked the blood trail to make sure it wasn't shot on his land and then gave the guy permission to retrieve it. Sadly over night the yotes had already gotten to it and tore the crap out of the rear end.

thats what I do too , over the yrs I have been asked and always let them come get them, BUt the last 2 guys I back tracked, I found they shot the deer on my lands, so there now banned from my place, and not even allowed to hunt where they did now cause of that
I have always tried to be there when the rcovery happens too, to pervent folks from driving a truck across food plots and such, as some folks don't know any better
but least a person an do is ask first!, and sadly it doesn't happen all that often,not here any how!
I would never stp a legally deer from being reocvered, its just the right thing to do if you ask me!
But from all the drag marks and gut piles I find??? it doesn't happen again much!