PDA

View Full Version : In need of hunting grounds

gholliday
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone who might have land or if someone who might have a private area to hunt would allow my 14 year old and myself to hunt thier land or hunt with them? Tried finding private land all the farmers said they have certain people they let hunt every year so no luck. Please could someone help us?

Griz
11-24-2012, 09:03 AM
For some reason alot of guys or gals are looking for private land. Don't over look public land. I'm a out of stater and hunted public land twice now. Its pretty damn good!! You may have to deal with a few other hunters but I'm use to that here in NH. If you can't locate a private place to hunt give public land a try. You may be surprised.

gholliday
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
We tried public grounds and every ten minutes people were walking through our spot and even had some guys get nasty with my 14 year old.

teej89
11-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I know this is a typical quote but go deep into public, my dad and I went there for the first time this year and we both encountered ZERO hunters sitting all day and both had chances at +125" bucks. Also if you can find an area where the public land peninsulas out and is surrounded by private, thats a great spot, that's what ours is and we know the hunters on the one side of the peninsula and the other no one is allowed to hunt it at all.

teej89
11-25-2012, 10:36 AM
and to add, that was during the rut also, we only hunted friday to sunday each time, or starting next year check out basecampleasing.com, it's a little late to be asking around for permission, you may find some people that wouldn't mind letting you hunt the late season and take some does off their property. Good luck with the search!

gholliday
11-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks Teej89 I hate to but may just wait till next season to hunt because I won't go through or put my son through what we experienced on public land. A couple guys got really rude with my 14 year old. So I don't know what else to do.

teej89
11-25-2012, 03:17 PM
yeah i hear ya, people can be real a-holes on public land acting like they own it. Good luck with the search, sucks to hear people were being rude to your son. Where are you at btw?

gholliday
11-25-2012, 04:38 PM
We live in Lorain county but went to spencer and wellington public land. Wish I could find someone who could invite us to hunt with them.

teej89
11-25-2012, 05:00 PM
I wish I could help, my first year of gun hunting we went in public land in PA and it was elbow to elbow hunters and some were not very nice and hunting that area sucked seeing hunters all the time and hearing shots within 100 yds every so often. This late in the season I doubt anyone would let ya on their property unless you're just looking for your boy to get a shot at a doe they might. I hunt down in muskigum county though. Keep an eye on basecampleasing.com you get a group of 5 or 6 people you're looking at like $500-$1000/person for a lease. Also hightechredneck.com is a good site.

Don't let a bad encounter in public land put ya down, i've hunted public land for 12 years straight and have killed plenty of deer, go in deep and get there EARLY then you're the one shining the flashlight at the people walking in telling them to scram.

gholliday
11-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks. I think I'm gonna call it a year though. Just don't feel like putting up with a bunch of a holes.

Bushman
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Why gh your preachin to the choir? This was my second gun season spent on public land. Had numerous people walk in on me. Stop and stare at me like they were confused or something then proceed to right around me. Why people have to tromp around the morning of the opener is beyond me!

Big_Holla
12-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Why people have to tromp around the morning of the opener is beyond me!

Well that's simple, either they made that one trip there middle of summer to scout OR they were told that's a good area......and that spot oughta be right round here somewhere.....uh....sorry...maybe it's over here..........'er over there.....

mrbb
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I think its personally how many folks just like to hunt
they wait till first light so they can see and not get lost, and use hunting season as a scouting trip!
with the hopes of being able to walk up on a buck
many folks cannot sit still, and thus wander about clueless
sad part about it is, many of these folks actually kill some slammers doing so
further causing more guys to do it!

I always hated how you can be in blaze orange head to toe, and some will walk almost on top of you like they cannot see you???
just rude, or maybe they think you know more then they do
like you must know its a good spot, so they want to hunt next to you!! thinking you did all the hard work and now they can just cheat off you???

PlayTheWindMike
12-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey bro. I have around 1200 acres I bow and deer hunt on. Different locations but total around 1200 acres. I live here in Ohio and know alot of areas for hunting but guess where I ended up at during the two day gun a couple weeks ago....Public land. Some of our buds got together and wanted to hunt together so we went into Public and we didnt want to deal with too many hunters so we went deep. Once we went deep in the woods Im here to tell you we never saw one hunter. My suggestion is to get a map of the public, find some back roads and go there. You will be surprised. A couple of nice bucks were brought out that day by some friends. The most important part is to get on those back roads. You will find it there.

gholliday
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks playthewindMike. I tried doing that in spencer public because was desperate to hunt but apparently other people had same idea but still trying to get that deer!!

Big_Holla
12-31-2012, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't give up on the local farmers that turned you down. Be friendly and ask when you don't plan to hunt. Once they see you are a local and are not having any luck with other places then maybe they will give you a shot. This time of year a lot of the regular hunters on their farms may have either filled their tags or are done hunting for the season. Build a rapport with them and maybe by this time next year you will have a place secured.