PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's First Antlered Buck & with a Muzzleloader!

Big_Holla
11-23-2012, 03:01 PM
As many of you know my family and I live in Michigan and my love for Ohio brought me to this site many years ago. So I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to share a story about a recent hunt up here that I was fortunate to enjoy with my 13 year old daughter Jenna.

Jenna absolutely loves deer hunting and up until this point had only used a crossbow while doing it. She is into travel fastpitch softball and it is literally a year round thing with training and all. So, this year time hunting was an absolute "0" up until last Saturday the 17th. of November. Since gun season cam in on the 15th. we had a couple of options. She could continue to use the crossbow or try something new. We decided to have her try the muzzleloader since we could change the loads some to help ease her nervousness of shooting a 'big gun'. After practicing a bit and lightening the load a little we found that she was pretty accurate with the gun, a Remington 700 .50 cal.

Saturday morning we got up at 3:00 am to get loaded up to make the almost 2 hour drive up to a farm we often hunt up in the 'thumb' of Michigan. We arrived a bit before 6 am and hurried to get out into the elevated shack blind we were going to hunt out of before daylight. Soon as the sun started coming up we could clearly see the heavy frost on the hay field.

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/34999_366098646817846_1668553383_n.jpg

Several flocks of geese flew over making quite the morning, however we only saw one small deer that was spooky as could be!

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/542685_366098693484508_878538171_n.jpg

We ended up staying all day in the blind and soon we were into our lunch and snacks. One thing about our family, we know how to pack the necessities. Sandwiches, candy bars, drinks.........oh and Jenna and my secret weapon......pistachio's!! Every deer she has shot was done so after we had eaten pistachio's! So here goes.....

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/jenna-and-secret-weapon.jpg

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/loving-it.jpg

Sometimes I think it's about the fun of seeing if we can toss the shells out the window or not. What ever it is, it seems to work for the deer!! About an hour before dark we soon had 3 yearlings out milling around. Soon I spotted another deer coming and with the binoculars I could clearly see it was a nice spiked buck. Jenna got pretty excited and soon was trying to settle herself down as she had never shot an antlered buck before. After a while the buck made it's way out in front of her and at about 60 yards Jenna settled the crosshairs on the buck and squeezed the trigger. I could tell instantly that her shot hit the mark and the buck was crashing back into the woods, soon the crashing stopped completely!!

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/jenna-w-first-antlered-buck.jpg

So, with that you might think the story ends there. Well, as I was trying to pack things back into the backpack Jenna says to me 'dad there's another deer coming out'. As many know, that's the oldest trick in the book so dad didn't quite believe her at the moment. Soon as she peered out with the binoculars she said it was a big doe! Well now she had me if she was just kidding.....but she wasn't! As I looked out sure enough, there she was. After a quick swap of the seats dad was in the shooting position and hoping to get a shot at this doe. I don't know if it was the pressure of Jenna making a great shot on her deer, the idea of doing a double or what but I can't think of a time where I was that nervous making a shot with a gun on a deer, a doe at that! After settling down and once the doe decided to stop broadside I squeezed off my shot and it hit it's mark!! Two deer down, our first double together!!! Jenna and I hugged and smiled and cheered each other on!! What an incredible experience, so much more than I ever dreamed it could feel like!!

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/gallery/files/3/2/6/chuck-and-jenna-deer-2012.jpg

Mike F
11-23-2012, 04:51 PM
That is just the coolest story. Way to go Jenna on the first antlered buck, and dad for pulling off the second shot.

mrbb
11-23-2012, 05:17 PM
well congrats to both of you, and its good to see she is still sticking to the sport and enjoying it so!

whodey1966
11-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Great Story! Glad for both of you!

Stonegod
11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Congrats to you and Jenna!!! Great story and pics!!!

MICH
11-23-2012, 05:55 PM
great story, good job

BowGuy2
11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
That's a pretty awesome story congrats

Seeker Bp
11-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Really impressed Jenna and Chuck, Awesome job all the way around. Thats what a full day of waiting and a bag of pistachios will get you! I am going to start packing a bag in with me from here on out... Congrats to you Both :)

radicalxl
11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, she did it again didn't she. Glad you didn't lay a big egg on yours either Chuck. Congrats to both you.

ManOfTheFall
11-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Congrats to the both of you. These are the best moments in life.

ghunter
11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Congrats to both of you. She remember that and will be excited about that buck forever.

Newbowhunter32
11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Congrats to you both, great memories!

Griz
11-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Great story, it brought back all the memories of my dad, my sons, my friends. These are the memories we all have when we can't do it anymore.

cueball
11-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey Big Holla,
I haven't spent much time around here the past few years, and I'm trying to remember if I met you at a campout years back? But, anyway.....Congrats!
Great story, and great job posting the story and pictures. Hell, I might never forget that one!

Wildlife
11-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Father-Daughter team down a couple of whitetails successfully together; PRICELESS!!!!!!
Congratulations to the both of you!

forestman
11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Congrats and great story.

Big_Holla
11-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the great replies everyone!! I am glad I can share this kind of stuff with such a great group of people!!

Hey Big Holla,
I haven't spent much time around here the past few years, and I'm trying to remember if I met you at a campout years back? But, anyway.....Congrats!
Great story, and great job posting the story and pictures. Hell, I might never forget that one!

Hell yeah I remember you! Great to see you back on here!! Hope deer season has treated you well this year!!

OHBooner
11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Great story and photos. Nice work on getting your daughter to hunt.