PDA

View Full Version : Rut this weekend!?!? Please?!?!

BuckNastyMedina
11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Is the rut going to kick in this weekend with the low temps at night starting Friday night? What do you guys think? Rut at the beginning of shotgun ... :)

BowGuy2
11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure the best of the rut is over and not to sure any if us BOWHUNTERS are to excited about orange season or the week warriors stomping everywhere

ghunter
11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I know I'll be out maybe the wed but for the most part I will be staying in close to some cover. I would NEVER go to public land that week.

BuckNastyMedina
11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Well I will be excited for both of us.

z7hunter11
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
O lord....the pumpkin patch guys already talking stupid, Try this dude, hunt more than a week a year and you will know when the peak rut is. I hope they dont move at all for you lead heads.

BuckNastyMedina
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
No not talking stupid just like hunting in general, but thanks for your needless reply.

BowGuy2
11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Lol! What ever makes u happy but I promise u if you pic up a bow you will be way more of a rush and its so much better feeling! Me personally will not be out at all during the week of gun season bc the people where I hunt the entire county that only gun hunts sits for like the first half hour of gun season and then the driving begins takin shots at running deer and shootin anything that moves! And then wanna call there self "hunters" lol this thread is gunna have a lot of posts I can feel it already. And no the bucks will not be chasing does like they were during the begining of November but I'm sure u will see a lot of bucks running with does but it's for a little different reason and that reason being they have been shot at 30 times in the last hour lol good luck

BowGuy2
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
This should be the rule for Ohio.. You should have to put atleast 60 hours in the tree stand with a bow in ur hand befor u can pick up a gun the guys that bow hunt and then pick up a gun that's fine I understand that. But the guys that go out a week a year and stomp around all over the woods that's just stupid it messes bow hunting up for awhile! Just saying!

BuckNastyMedina
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
What is funny to me is that I never said one thing about not bow hunting or anything like that I simply had a question. Who would have thought a forum was the wrong place for a question. I have spent many hours in my climber with my hoyt. Just plan to do some shotgun hunting too.

BowGuy2
11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Well than u should no just as much as the next guy on here that rut has pretty much come and gone and good for you! Nothing wrong with hunting with a gun I just don't find it satisfying killing a deer with a gun it's not a challenge to me. It might be for you and that's good as long as ur enjoying what you do. Just hate the strictly week worriers. Haha

Stonegod
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
I just love the attitude of some archery hunters......the woods should be theirs and theirs only to hunt.....hunt with a bow or you're not a true hunter.The gun hunters only have a short season, leave them have their fun......sure some are slob hunters.......but then some archery guys are also,if it messes up your deer hunting....hey that's life. Not everyone cares to hunt with archery equipment and that doesn't make them any lesser of a hunter. As for me I love gun season the deer pour in to the property trying to get away from the deer drives and seeking a place to hide.....and I'll be waiting.LOL

dangerousoldman
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
We are all hunters and most of us love the outdoors. Sure I love bowhunting and do it all that I can. I also will gun hunt as it is a great time with the family members and I look forward to that week all year. I agree that gun season is more heavily seasoned with slobs because it is easier to pick up a gun and hit the woods but I dont think any of us should criticize anyone else just because of the weapon they choose to hunt with. Hunting has enough enemies and we sure as heck dont need infighting and hating. As a bowhunter i appreciate the long season and my countless hours in a stand but as a gun hunter I also appreciate the sport and comraderie that i get to experience. Bowhunters put more into their sport just because of the nature of using a bow. Mayhaps sometimes we do get a bit possessive of the having the woods more to ourselves. Good luck and safe hunting to all who practice good ethical hunting. Lets all appreciate our bounty and ea other as fellow outdoor enthusiasts.

dangerousoldman
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
to answer your original question, in my area of sw ohio the bucks have been chasing over the last week and now seem to be locking down a bit. gun season will definitely disturb the cruising of bucks on areas that are saturated with hunters but if youre on private land and isnt pressured all around it you may still see some seeking. prolly better chance of seeing a buck seeking safer haven if a lot of hunters are moving around. Middle of the day is pretty good time to stay in your stand during gun season.

southeasternohiobowhunter
11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
heres my 2 cents : i absolutely love bowhunting, and i am obsessed with it! ..........but i dont mind picking up a shotgun one week out of every year. heck especially this year! i have put countless hours in my climber this year with my fred bear, and came across many good encounters with nice bucks, but just couldn't have that 1 last thing go my way (i still have lots of bowhunting left though!). anyway heck yea i will take full advantage of my greater chances at getting a wall hanger with my gun! its only 1 week out of the year, and yea it slows bow hunting down for a minute, but i have no right to complain about that, because i'll be out there with my gun too. i will never have as much fun gun hunting as i will bow hunting for the rest of my lifetime, but dang it will still feel amazing shooting a nice buck with my gun!!! you do have a point though bowguy2......i don't like the fact lots of gun hunters do it 7-14 days of the whole year! to me those people arent dedicated whitetail hunters like us bowhunters. their knowledge about deer in general is very low compared to bowhunters. it kinda sucks too seeing them go out and shoot a wall hanger on pure luck when some of us bust our asses all year round and live for that buck of a lifetime! all that aside though i guess thats life for ya /: i just make sure i do my ethical part of whitetail hunting , and try my best to tag out nice bucks. goodluck to everyone the rest of the year, and to all non-bowhunters MAN YOU GOTTA TRY IT!!!

ManOfTheFall
11-20-2012, 04:50 AM
I haven't gun hunted in like 10 years for deer. This is the first time in like 10 years that I haven't put a buck down yet. I said to myself yesterday. I have Monday of gun season off I should dust off the shotgun and go out. Then reality set in and I thought that is my week off from hunting. Get rested up then get back out with the bow when it's all over. Good luck to those guys going out.

radicalxl
11-20-2012, 06:00 AM
I don't know if it's true for the rest of the bow hunters, but when I go out for a little bit during gun season, (doesn't happen much, and has been awhile since I have gun hunted also) I basicly hunt the same way as if I had a bow in my hand. Only difference is I can shoot a bit farther. Most times if I go during gun season, it's with the bow. We all know it's much more rewarding. But, this year I am kicking around the idea of taking the old 870 out of the cabinet just for a change. I can assure you that peak rut won't be going on, but the basic hunting technique will be the same.

BowGuy2
11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't know if it's true for the rest of the bow hunters, but when I go out for a little bit during gun season, (doesn't happen much, and has been awhile since I have gun hunted also) I basicly hunt the same way as if I had a bow in my hand. Only difference is I can shoot a bit farther. Most times if I go during gun season, it's with the bow. We all know it's much more rewarding. But, this year I am kicking around the idea of taking the old 870 out of the cabinet just for a change. I can assure you that peak rut won't be going on, but the basic hunting technique will be the same.

If u gun hunt the same way u bow hunt that is a lot different than walkin around the woods that's not hunting that's praying that a deer is dumb enough to watch u get within range and u shoot they take off running and you throw 2 more slugs at it praying for a hit! It's crazy. People have no clue what the deer are doing that year in that area. They get out of there truck and walk into the woods pretty much blind and hope to see a deer and I they are not seeing deer they try to walk around and kick them up! It's not hunting! If u wanna shoot at something that's running then go rabbit hunting lol but I do like to see people sitting during gun season if they would do just a tad bit of homework they would be fine sitting but they are LAZY! But it is what it is. It's not gunna change at all ever! If a few of those guys would pick up a bow they would understand more. And the deer drives I hate it. I have been apart of a few when I was younger and I just don't like it. I have killed 1 deer with a gun and that was with a smoke pole. I like the idea of one shot one kill (or miss) lol I wish all of you gun hunters that will be SITIING luck and all u drivers I hope u don't see a single deer! Haha good luck fellas!

teej89
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents, seems like everyone else is but as with most hunters I am not a FAN of gun hunting, I go out during gun season bust typically won't shoot anything. But when I gun hunt I won't shoot does and I'm only out looking for big bucks, my standards drop in archery because hey it's archery, any whitetail with a bow is an accomplishment. But as far as gun hunting goes its GREAT to get kids interested in hunting or even adults, when I take friends out that just started hunting I tell them shoot whatever you want because the first deer ever is a great feeling.

Yeah I do hate those guys that get cold at 9am cuz it's 38 degrees out and there hand is cold from holding their cigarette (sorry stereotyping) and start walking around or go home but its a love hate relationship cuz when they start moving at 9 it gets the deer moving, and since I sit all day once the pumpkins are outta the woods from 10-3 the deer start becoming a little more active. And on windy days I especially enjoy some good old still hunting, since most of them won't go out if its 10+ MPH winds.

bds9
11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
And yet another lesson on how a thread can evolve! I've had the same thing happen to me, so don't get discouraged. I doubt you're gonna see much rutting activity during daylight hours, UNLESS, you have and extremely low pressured area! I'm going to hunt during gun season, with my shotgun. I love bowhunting with all of my heart but at the same time, I love to drive deer!!! Sorry Bowguy2, we disagree on something. hahaha. I honestly enjoy driving deer, and consider it a challenge! Figuring out the lay of the land, wind direction and all factors and putting that together to get someone a deer. Puts a smile on my face! I wanna note, I've never killed a big buck during gun season, but I've killed a ton of does! And like Bowguy2 said, it's just like rabbit hunting! Only bigger!! hahaha Good luck to all, Bow or Gun, the point is to feed the family and enjoy the sport. I do dispise the idiots though!!! And there are a bunch of em!!

rednecklb69
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Basically if you own a compound bow and live in ohio and are a member of this site you should get rid of all shotguns and muzzleloaders and all hunter orange.

So.OHsalesman
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
I have a split opinion I guess. I live and breath bow hunting. I will gun hunt Monday but I WILL set and not drive deer! I also take in to account other hunters and their choice. I'm not gonna screw a guys set up for antler greed, I take their choice into account. I am totally against deer drives. It's not fair hunting in my eyes (although it does has its challenges). It is fun but a 120 inch buck looks big bolting thru trees but when you bow hunt, you understand that it is not huge. I haven't shot a buck going on 2 years bc I haven't seen the one I want. A lot of gun hunters are in a "if it's brown its down" state of mind and I disagree with that on every level. Seems to be that gun hunters aren't real worried about good herd management and letting their deer develope, they are just out for blood. But hey, there are a ton of anti-hunting duesches out there so we are better off to stick together.

PlayTheWindMike
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Orange season I guess I will just use my gun that shoots arrows

Big_Holla
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Lighten up fella's! This site is open to everyone, including gun hunters!! Many of you started out gun hunting and likely switched over at some point. Some of you may not be a fan of gun hunting and that is your opinion and stance. Don't cram it down the throat of the next guy that may cast a ballot whether to allow hunting in the future...period. As many have said, we are all in this together and if we don't stick together some day that other 'group' might not be there to help you out when you need it. Absolutely ridiculous to hear this kind of talk this day and age and especially after such an important election. Shame on some of you.

Is the rut going to kick in this weekend with the low temps at night starting Friday night? What do you guys think? Rut at the beginning of shotgun ... :)

BNM to answer the actual question you asked, the rut is likely starting to dwindle through most of Ohio. There may be some does that got missed or some early born fawns coming into estrous so who knows. Bucks will likely still be looking some and the weather will have a lot to do with it too. Usually once the lead starts flying the breeding won't be on the top of their lists that's for sure.

PlayTheWindMike
11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
My gun that shoots arrows was a joke.....sorry if I offended anyone. I gun hunt too and have a blast. Just have to be more careful out in woods...be safe guys

Big_Holla
11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
My gun that shoots arrows was a joke.....sorry if I offended anyone. I gun hunt too and have a blast. Just have to be more careful out in woods...be safe guys

No, your comment wasn't offensive at all, it's what this post needed, someone to lighten things up and remind each of us that we have a choice. Time to get out there anyway you can and have fun with this short time we call DEER SEASON!!! Absolutely LOVE it!

BowGuy2
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
And that's ur opinion lol we all have our own and I think deer drives are for lazy hunters! And not to mention dangerous. Anytime I hear a story that starts out with "on this one deer drive" I get up and walk away. Lol like I said good luck to all the people who will be out be safe. Shoot straight and don't shoot towards oil pumps lol! Hope to see a few biggens over the next week but also can't wait untill this week is over!

deerguy10
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Rut is surely winding down in my area... I hunt medina county... things were dead for about a week around my neck of the woods and seemed to pick up a bit friday... and we did see some bucks on their feet and cruising saturday and sunday... both young bucks and mature bucks...
I haven't been in the woods yet this week but from what i am seeing driving around things are certainly slowing down...

And I will be out monday with my father... I started gun hunting with him as a kid and from that grew my love for bowhunting which I have sort of passed on to him... once only a gun hunter now he bow hunts with me and we get to spend more time together in the woods because our love for hunting has evolved together! Kinda funny how things work sometimes...

Be safe out there guys! Best of luck!

Stonegod
11-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Basically if you own a compound bow and live in ohio and are a member of this site you should get rid of all shotguns and muzzleloaders and all hunter orange.

If I get rid of my hunter orange......then I can't archery hunt during gun season!!!!!

Stonegod
11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Rut is surely winding down in my area... I hunt medina county... things were dead for about a week around my neck of the woods and seemed to pick up a bit friday... and we did see some bucks on their feet and cruising saturday and sunday... both young bucks and mature bucks...
I haven't been in the woods yet this week but from what i am seeing driving around things are certainly slowing down...

And I will be out monday with my father... I started gun hunting with him as a kid and from that grew my love for bowhunting which I have sort of passed on to him... once only a gun hunter now he bow hunts with me and we get to spend more time together in the woods because our love for hunting has evolved together! Kinda funny how things work sometimes...

Be safe out there guys! Best of luck!

Well I hunt one crop field north of you......so during gun season how about driving some deer to that wood lot just north of you!!LOL.....slow isn't the word for it....it's been pretty dead.

rednecklb69
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I just threw my pro hunter and 11-87 in the garbage

BowGuy2
11-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm no gun hunter but ill be ur garbage man! Haha

deerguy10
11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
You got it Stonedgod! One Shot means meat in my freezer and some on the way to you... 2 shots means meat in both my dad's freezer and mine and most likely still some headed toward you! No shots... well, then that just means we fell asleep and there is probably still some headed toward you!

packerfan1094
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Some of you guys need to calm down and pull your camo outta your a$$. I bow hunt but also enjoy the few days a year I get to hunt with my muzzleloader. Bow hunting isn't for everyone. Some of you need to pay a heck of a lot more attention to your spelling than slamming some guys for shotgunning.

radicalxl
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Please don't yell at me Chuck, you hurt my feelings. I believe I answered his question, didn't I. LOL

Stonegod
11-20-2012, 06:29 PM
You got it Stonedgod! One Shot means meat in my freezer and some on the way to you... 2 shots means meat in both my dad's freezer and mine and most likely still some headed toward you! No shots... well, then that just means we fell asleep and there is probably still some headed toward you!

I'll be quietly waiting.....send them my way!LOL

BowGuy2
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Go mess up ur hunting spot by driving it out fine by me :)

Deerhunter
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
9544News Flash!!!!!!! Obama won and he canceled gun season :)

dangerousoldman
11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
this thread is actually depressing when I see ohio hunters infighting. Lets see, we have traditional bowhunters, compound bow hunters, crossbow hunters, shotgun hunters, muzzleloader hunters, pistol hunters, tree stand hunters, spot and stalk, still hunters, drivers, deer blind hunters, youth hunters, senior hunters yada yada yada. Who among any of this group has the right to condemn someone for doing it differently than they do? we should all be united about Being legal, ethical and practicing good sportsmanship and that should be our focus. High standards for our sport regardless of choice of firearm should be what the hell is important. some here are selfish and intolerant.

teej89
11-21-2012, 07:18 AM
If I get rid of my hunter orange......then I can't archery hunt during gun season!!!!!

Hahahahaha!

teej89
11-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah and back to the forum topic, been hunting every day this week and ZERO rut action, granted I'm in PA near the border of Ohio and PA but figured I'd contribute to this posts TOPIC haha good luck to everyone next week! I know I'll be giving my dad the ole' "yeah class is cancelled so I can come hunt with you" routine lol

Goodluck everyone!

whodey1966
11-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Can't we all just get along!

eubie
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
My turn, yes i bow hunt though this year between family issues and two jobs I have only been out one time and it is killing me lol. But it is what it is. Yes I will be out as much as I can during gun season, we dont drive the farm we hunt but we will try to tag out if possible does that make me a bad hunter in my opinion no but everyone has their opinions. As long as your safe, legal and smart it doesnt mater what you hunt with.

buckeye96
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I love bow hunting, but I got my start gun hunting. My dad and older brother do not deer hunt, so my uncle taught me how. Every year I try to take a few days off during gun season and head down to our family farm to do some bonding with my uncle. I get a bigger thrill and a greater sence of accomplishment from taking a deer with my bow, but there is just something special about gun season. I like heading down to the farm and hagingout with a group of guys I only get to see once a year. To me it is more about spending time with family and friends doing something we love. Oh, and the rut has really slowed down.

sano888
11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
My turn. Took up bow hunting 2 years ago. Am still learning but am definitely learning to love it. Started gun hunting 7 years ago at age 38. Learned on my own. Will be out Monday with my ML. Trying to fill the freezer and don't need the deer to get that close with a gun. I agree with sticking together as hunters and being ethical. That said, I suppose the fact that I use a youth bow doesn't make me a "real" bow hunter. I bought it because it was used and cheap and I wasn't sure I could even shoot a bow (can't seem to shoot a gun straight given the number of misses I've had). Figured I would get a bigger bow when I got things figured out. However, now that I know that it kills deer just as dead and the fact it's lightweight and compact, and given the price of newer bows, I think I'll just keep it. Look down on me if you must but a holier than thou attiutde doesn't make sense to me.