PDA

View Full Version : My buddy's first buck.

heelbilly
11-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Yesterday at 5:30 while I was grilling a venison roast and boiling the skull plate from my buck I received a text from my buddy. "I just hit a buck I'm gonna need your help." So I killed the heat on the boiling pot turned down the roast a bit and asked the people we were hosting for dinner if they minded if I skipped out for a bit and told the husband and son they were welcome to ride with me. So we jumped in the truck and headed out. Him and I and our boys. We got to the property and met Jason coming out of the woods. He said he found hair and some blood, but thinks he hit it back. He said the deer stopped on the edge of the field, flicked his tail, and almost coughed/wheezed before it went into the woods.

We unloaded the quad from my truck and grabbed our flashlights. We set out to his flashing marker where he found blood and hair. There was only a speck of blood here and there. We opted to go towards where he saw the deer last and hope there was more blood. There wasn't more blood, but we did find blood a speck here, a speck there. Then the light hit a dark body and you could almost hear a sigh of relief from Jason. We walked up made sure it was dead and then the celebration proceeded.

It was a very proud moment for me, because I was his mentor 5 years ago when he began to hunt. He's killed several does, but to be able to be there to help track his first buck, and for it to be bigger than any buck I've killed was pretty awesome. I'm glad I got to experience it. Here are the pics. One is just him, the other is of him and our extra helpers (My son Owen and his friend Caleb).

mrbb
11-18-2012, 11:20 AM
well congrats to him and a good job mentoring then I gather too
good for all!

radicalxl
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
It don't get much better than that. Looks like a pretty damn good shot to me. Congrats.

heelbilly
11-18-2012, 11:42 AM
He said it was quartering to him pretty hard, it went in there and out right in front of the ham on the other side. The insides plugged the exit hole so that explains the limited blood trail. Could have been a lot worse, he was pretty lucky. He said he felt that was the only shot he had because it was dogging does and was about to take off again. He said if he had been using his compound instead of the crossbow he probably would have passed.

gonehunting 45
11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Congrats....nicely done

hortontoter
11-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Good lookin buck, congrats. I'll bet the youngsters had a great time.