PDA

View Full Version : Hunting this weekend... whats everyone opinion on how the deer activity will be?

mxquadrider2
11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Well, My dad, a co-worker of mine, and myself will be heading to Morgan county area thursday morning to hunt thurs, fri, sat, and sunday. Wondering if everyone thinks we'll see any rutting action or is it dead? Was seeing that there is mixed reviews from everyone on their rut activity but was wondering if you guys thought we might catch some bucks up on their feet after the "lockdown" stage of the rut?? Or maybe catch the tail end of some chasing. We usually come out the week of thanksgiving and we always seem to miss the action so are hoping by a week earlier that we can catch some more moving around. Trying to figure out what everyones opinion is so we know if we can be calling or just sitting tight. Thanks, cant wait to get in the woods again!

archerymurray
11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Just a note, I have seriously bow hunted Ohio for years. I have captured more daytime photos of mature bucks on their on or around the 17th more than any other time. I run 6 cams and study them religiously. I always seemed to be tagged out by then but would love to be there this weekend. There will def be big boys on their feet. They are the last ones to give up.

blackbeard
11-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I think the best hunting is just starting, seeing more mature bucks. Good luck.

gonehunting 45
11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope they are moving. I don't have the book in front of me, but I think this weekend is youth season. Wear the orange.

hortontoter
11-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Yep, youth season this weekend. I'll be out both days. A good chance for them to be up and moving. Don't forget your hunter orange.

southeasternohiobowhunter
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
seen a big mature 5 yr. old buck running right along the highway through a small piece of hardwoods today at 1:30 p.m. he had his mouth wide open panting like a dog. looked weak/exhausted, but was still on the run. what do you all think we could make of this? peak rut, ending of peak rut, or just chasing phase still???

buckeye96
11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Should be a good weekend. I have been seeing a ton of deer moving around during the day. Good luck!

deerguy10
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Things have really slowed from what i was seeing a week and a half ago... and i am hearing the same from guys who have been in woods this week... most of the deer i am seeing while driving around are yearlings and that's the same thing some buddies are seeing from their stands this week... i have a feeling they are locking down... i will be in the stand as much as possible this weekend though... can't kill em from the couch!

the first buck i have seen in about a week ran though a thicket beside our shop this morning... he had his mouth hanging open and didn't care that we were only 10 yards or so away... he was a decent looking young 8 that only seemed to be a 2 1/2 year old deer... not sure that this isolated sighting means good things for this weekend... but, i'll use it as encouragement that at least some bucks are still cruising

PlayTheWindMike
11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
The last few days I have seen some daytime activity but it as each day passes I am seeing less deer. Face it, be in the right place at the right time and it works. I saw a monster buck trailing a doe the night before last about 30 minutes after dark. Does are holding down a little more it seems.

whodey1966
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
seen a big mature 5 yr. old buck running right along the highway through a small piece of hardwoods today at 1:30 p.m. he had his mouth wide open panting like a dog. looked weak/exhausted, but was still on the run. what do you all think we could make of this? peak rut, ending of peak rut, or just chasing phase still???
We are at peak rut now.

belcikmj
11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing, headed out to Adams county this weekend, do you guys think it will be a good idea to put some estrous scent out? Or should I go with no scent? Havent been in the woods in 2 weeks...

mxquadrider2
11-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Well guys saw a shooter yesterday morning running a doe but never got close enough. Then this morning we have all been seeing lots of action. I saw 5 bucks and a doe so far. One buck was about 140" he had two smaller ones with him about 110"? All after the same doe, then about 15 min later another smaller 8pt cam through with his head on the ground where the doe had just went. It's frustrating hunting outta a ground blind. I think tonight ill be in my tree stand, might look like and olive on a toothpick but its way too hard to try to get a shot off out of this blind