PDA

View Full Version : Question Hunting in the Evening???

Cheif
11-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Guys i need some advice here, It seems like my spot is definately an evening spot. But i will get a 6 or 8 point come in around five but i know there are bigger and i am waiting on him. but its like come 6p.m. they flip the switch. its took dark to take a shot but the activity increases tremendously. which can be very aggravating because its like they know and then i have to sit it out wait for them to move on. any advice on trying to get them in any earlier.

Seeker Bp
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Well Cheif.....Chief?? Patience Patience Patience! You cant bump up there schedule. Just be happy your seeing what your seeing. Trying to figure out the big ones is half the fun, but how aggressive do you get with getting close and bumping him over a county. The only way would be to move closer to where there coming from. Good Luck to you this Season!

gonehunting 45
11-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Well Cheif.....Chief?? Patience Patience Patience! You cant bump up there schedule. Just be happy your seeing what your seeing. Trying to figure out the big ones is half the fun, but how aggressive do you get with getting close and bumping him over a county. The only way would be to move closer to where there coming from. Good Luck to you this Season!

I agree move closer to where they're coming from.

Cheif
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
The things is i am hunting on a small private peice so getting closer is not really an option. But yes i understand where your coming from. and patience is key. I usually get into to stand around four and by about five a do a grunt and that gets a little action going. Thanks for advice and your right, i can not move up their schedule.

blackbeard
11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
What is in the area that they are coming to...corn, acorns, or crops? Where do they come from? Maybe try getting to stand at 3, grunting at 4, and maybe deer will come in at 5! Kinda kidding but maybe get there earlier, do some grunting and throw in some rattling, something different. You ever try hunting it in the morning? If you can't shoot them in the evening you might try shooting them in the morning if the spot can be hunted in the morning.

Cheif
11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
What is in the area that they are coming to...corn, acorns, or crops? Where do they come from? Maybe try getting to stand at 3, grunting at 4, and maybe deer will come in at 5! Kinda kidding but maybe get there earlier, do some grunting and throw in some rattling, something different. You ever try hunting it in the morning? If you can't shoot them in the evening you might try shooting them in the morning if the spot can be hunted in the morning.

I usually work till three and can get there by four. I usually put out corn every other day. I have not seen anything in the mornings when I go and the trail cam rarely picks up anything in the mornings. However I am going tomorrow morning. A guy i work with swears by this full moon and how it will be a good day to hunt. We shall see.

blackbeard
11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
While I rarely hunt feed sites because it is difficult to kill a mature buck at one, I like hunting them better in the mornings during the rut. You can get to them in the morning while its still dark and deer may spook but they don't know what you are and will sometimes come back. Often times bucks will visit the feed site throughout the morning smelling and looking for a hot doe. They might not come into the feed site, but will get down wind of it to scent check it. So that's where you want to be, downwind of the site where a buck might move through to scent check the site. That also might explain why you don't have trail cam photos of bucks during the morning, because they check it without getting in front of the camera. Good luck but I suggest trying a different hunting strategy in the future other than sitting over corn all the time.