PDA

View Full Version : Blew my first chance at a BIG BOY this year!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, I blew a chance at a real beast of a buck this morning. I have been saving my one stand for this week. I hit that stand this morning and it didn't disappoint but I blew it though. Just after legal shooting light I did a blind call with the can and hit the grunt tube a couple times. Immediately I heard movement behind me over my right shoulder. At first sight it looked like a 2 1/2 year old just inside his ears so I didn't get too excited. He then stepped into the clearing 15 yards behind my stand and I saw he was a true beast. His spread was only about 14" but his G 2's were about 12" long. His brow tines were like 8" and they angled in towards each other. I would estimate his bases were like 7"-8". This buck had some serious mass. He was a 10 pointer with a 3 inch kicker off his left G-2. I think he would push 150." He isn't the highest scoring buck on my property but he is definitely one of the biggest bodied bucks I have ever saw. He was broadside on my right side like 10 yards away with a wide open shot. This is where the problem began. I was strictly a crossbow hunter in the past. This tree is really set up pretty much for crossbow use. I even said to myself I should take my crossbow instead of my compound. I could not pull this shot off. I had to wait until he started walking again and draw on him. Then he angled to his right and walked away right behind a tree. I did have an opening at forty yards but I had to stand up. When I stood up there was a branch in my way and I still couldn't shoot. Eventually i had to just let him walk away. The one good thing about all this is he didn't spook at all. So, tomorrow morning I will be back out in the same stand with my good old Horton Legend.

radicalxl
11-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Don't sound like you blew it to me. Just something that happens all the time, to most of us who hunt. You got out undetected, that's a good thing.